Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the National Health Care program
I Like it 26 23.85%
I hate it 71 65.14%
If it weren't mandatory it would be fine 7 6.42%
If something else changed it would be fine... explain. 5 4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:38 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what people really thought about the healthcare bill. Do they like it and think it is a good thing or do they dislike it.

Are there a few things that would make it a good thing? What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:48 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I was wondering what people really thought about the healthcare bill. Do they like it and think it is a good thing or do they dislike it.

Are there a few things that would make it a good thing? What?

Remember it's modeled after Massachusetts health care and after 4 years it's done nothing to control costs and has only increased. This has been beaten to death already but I'll post this one last time. Guess all you supporters will see for yourself next year.

http://www.pnhp.org/mass_report/mass_report_Final.pdf

"The reform has been more expensive than expected, costing $1.1 billion in fiscal 2008 and $1.3 billion in fiscal 2009.In the face of a state budget crisis in fall 2008, Gov. Deval Patrick announced that he will keep the reform afloat by draining money from safety-net providers such as public hospitals and community clinics.

While the number of people lacking health insurance in Massachusetts has been reduced, several recent surveys demonstrate that substantial problems in access to care remain in the state. While the new health insurance improved access to care for some residents, many low-income patients who previously received completely free care under the state’s old free care program now face co-payments, premiums and deductibles that stop them from getting needed care.

A single-payer system of non-profit national health insurance could save about $8-$10 billion annually in the state through reduced administrative costs. This money could be used to cover all of the state’s uninsured residents and to improve coverage for those who now have insurance, without any increase in total health care costs."

5 painful health-care lessons from Massachusetts - Jun. 15, 2010

Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I think it's good that young adults can stay on their parents' plans until age 26 or until they get their own insurance, whichever comes first.

I think it's good that lifetime caps are being removed.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,121 times
Anyone watch 60 minutes? 60 Billion dollars stollen from medicare and medicaid...scary.

Anyway, I support anything that would make people healthy. Didn't Jesus teach something about caring for the sick, giving of yourself to others in both money and spirit. I don't know I aint a fundamental Christian, just a good Catholic boy that actually read and understood the bible. If an extra $20 out of my pocket a year will help someone to have a better life, I am for it. But maybe Jesus preached something else.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
It's a start, and I think it's better than what Republicans have done about health care costs in the past: Basically, nothing.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think it's good that young adults can stay on their parents' plans until age 26 or until they get their own insurance, whichever comes first.

I think it's good that lifetime caps are being removed.
Do you think that mandatory insurance is so good? How about workers having to pay income on their medical insurance? That could put many of them in a higher tax bracket and wouldn't help anybody but the government supplying money to people who don't have insurance because they say they can't afford it. Forcing employers to offer an program and then taxing the workers for what they spend on them is about as bad as anything I have seen.

I think that after January 1 many people will see what has been done to them and then many who don't hate this damned thing will learn very fast to hate it.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's a start, and I think it's better than what Republicans have done about health care costs in the past: Basically, nothing.
Its a start toward what? Is it universal medical care you are talking about?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you think that mandatory insurance is so good? How about workers having to pay income on their medical insurance? That could put many of them in a higher tax bracket and wouldn't help anybody but the government supplying money to people who don't have insurance because they say they can't afford it. Forcing employers to offer an program and then taxing the workers for what they spend on them is about as bad as anything I have seen.

I think that after January 1 many people will see what has been done to them and then many who don't hate this damned thing will learn very fast to hate it.
I haven't decided how I feel about mandatory insurance.

We will not have to pay tax on our health insurance benefits, that is one of the myths that is going around.

Health Law Myths: Outside The Realm Of Reality : NPR

4. The law requires you to begin to paying taxes on your health insurance next year.

This is a classic misunderstanding. Starting next year, employers that provide health insurance will have to begin putting on workers' annual W-2 forms the amount they contribute to workers' health insurance premiums. But the law doesn't change the tax treatment of those premiums — they're still exempt from income tax.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:28 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I chose "If it weren't mandatory it would be fine." The reason is it will lower my health insurance rates but the government has no right to force be to buy it.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
I like it though wish it went a bit further (public option)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies