Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Sorry, that was your megachurch
Err, or Glenn Beck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Um no... they can't.

Maybe learn something about the ACLU before you spout off about it so ignorantly -- try aclu.org. Also I quoted them above regarding religion/church and state.

? No one said anyone has tried that, though some might have in the past somewhere. But again, they can't, because of the Constitution and outfits like the aclu which protect your constitutional rights, even though you fight against it (Again, "The right to practice religion, or no religion at all, is among the most fundamental of the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. The ACLU works to ensure that this essential freedom is protected by keeping the government out of religion.")

How do you account for left wing Christians? You know, the ones who, like that troublemaker Jesus, advocate social justice

Lol, left wingers are not "fearful of religious people." They hate sanctimonious hypocrites and con artists who pretend to be Christian but actually are out to serve themselves and, you know, Mammon. But true Christians are fine, maybe because of their compassion they tend to be LW.
You are correct. They can't. So why all the paranoria from the left? Look at post #2 on this thread for an example.

The ACLU was started by communists. It's a fact. Maybe you should research them a little. Besides what they on their own website. And they have a habit of only supporting some issues. Usually left wing ones.

Jesus was a a left winger? What a joke. Left wingers love government. You say he was a troublemaker. Who did he make trouble for? The government. Who tried to kill him and his family before he was born? The government? Who was always trying to areest him and persecuting his followers? The government. Who killed him? The government..........You can't find one passage in the Bible that suggests Jesus was a left winger or a right winger. He was clearly anti-government. He was, more than likely, an anarchist. Who was always helping him? The private sector. Capatalists, if you will.

There isn't not one passage in the Biblle that suggest Jesus was anything but an anarchist. He was definatley not pro-government. Left or right.

And your last paragraph suggests you expect anyone that goes to church to be perfect. Seems like a high hurdle to me. And what about all the con artists and hypocrites in Washington? At least religious hypocrites can't force you to something under threat of violence or jail like your beloved thugs in D.C.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You're living up to your username time and time again . Jesus never advocated social justice, He merely said that the poor have their place in Heaven as well even though they are poor. He didn't teach to take from the rich, He preached to be humble and let the rich drown themselves in wealth and gluttony and ignore God . Maybe you should stop listening to Jeremiah Wright and Jesse Jackson and their spawn
Luke 12:15 — “Then he said to them, ‘Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.’ ”

Mark 12:43-44 — “Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, ‘I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.’ ”

Luke 6:24 — “But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.”

Matthew 25:34-40 — “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ ”

Mark 10:21 — “Jesus looked at him and loved him. ‘One thing you lack,’ he said. ‘Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’ ”

Luke 14:33 — “In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.”

I'd say Mark 10:21 and Luke 14:33 nail the coffin shut on what Jesus thought of wealth.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Luke 12:15 — “Then he said to them, ‘Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.’ ”

Mark 12:43-44 — “Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, ‘I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.’ ”

Luke 6:24 — “But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.”

Matthew 25:34-40 — “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ ”

Mark 10:21 — “Jesus looked at him and loved him. ‘One thing you lack,’ he said. ‘Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’ ”

Luke 14:33 — “In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.”

I'd say Mark 10:21 and Luke 14:33 nail the coffin shut on what Jesus thought of wealth.
I did not see, in any quote you provided, ANYTHING that says to TAKE from the rich. Did you? In fact, it says to GIVE to the poor. You know, CHARITY.

Forced redistribution of wealth through government, is not charity, it's Marxism which is staunchly anti-Christian, and anti-religion in general.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I think it's because of those on the far right who try to force their religious agenda on the US even though we have a separation of church and state.
Exactly! I respect a person's right to worship and believe as they please. However, I don't want anybody imposing their beliefs on me. In all too many cases Conservative Christians feel the need to tell others how to live.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I did not see, in any quote you provided, ANYTHING that says to TAKE from the rich. Did you? In fact, it says to GIVE to the poor. You know, CHARITY.
He does say that if you are rich, to give up your belongings and to follow him.

While I don't think that Jesus of Nazareth could have envisioned a Democratic Republic that is made of "of the people, by the people, and for the people", and could tax people with higher earnings at a higher rate to enable the poorest souls amongst them to have the basics of need provided for, I think he would support such a system.

The question any real Christian has to ask themselves, after reading those passages I just wrote before is this. "Have I given up enough of my wealth, time, and energy, to help those who are poor, downtrodden, and miserable to truly say that I am the follower of Jesus".

You see, John 3:16 may be the rally call to all Christians, and your church may want you to believe all you have to do is to say you believe in Jesus, and you are in heaven. But, can you truly say that you believe in Jesus, and be rich? Me, and Jesus, think not.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
We don't have a seperation of church and state. Never have.

And I keep hearing the right wants to force a religious agenda on America. I have never seen any evidence to back up this claim. I think people just say it and believe it.

Could anyone please let me know of any bills introduced in Congress in the last dozen years or so that was forcing us into a theocracy of some sort?

I'm not saying they haven't done it, I'm saying can't recall any examples. Methinks it's something the left lies about to try a scare people.
How about the Defensie of Marriage Act?

How about the judge in Alabama that had the Ten Commandments put in a Alabama state courhouse?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He does say that if you are rich, to give up your belongings and to follow him.

While I don't think that Jesus of Nazareth could have envisioned a Democratic Republic that is made of "of the people, by the people, and for the people", and could tax people with higher earnings at a higher rate to enable the poorest souls amongst them to have the basics of need provided for, I think he would support such a system.

The question any real Christian has to ask themselves, after reading those passages I just wrote before is this. "Have I given up enough of my wealth, time, and energy, to help those who are poor, downtrodden, and miserable to truly say that I am the follower of Jesus".

You see, John 3:16 may be the rally call to all Christians, and your church may want you to believe all you have to do is to say you believe in Jesus, and you are in heaven. But, can you truly say that you believe in Jesus, and be rich? Me, and Jesus, think not.
Actually you can be rich and still get into heaven. You just can't be gluttonous with your wealth is. By the way, government did exist in Jesus' time and government taxes existed also. Yet He never said, tax the rich so much and give it to the poor. You are mistaking His preachings for Marxism yet again. Marxism is a political ideology, not a Christian principle. Jesus called for people themselves to do away with their belongings and to follow Him. This is not the same as forced redistribution of wealth via the government hand

Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Actually you can be rich and still get into heaven. You just can't be gluttonous with your wealth is. By the way, government did exist in Jesus' time and government taxes existed also. Yet He never said, tax the rich so much and give it to the poor. You are mistaking His preachings for Marxism yet again. Marxism is a political ideology, not a Christian principle. Jesus called for people themselves to do away with their belongings and to follow Him. This is not the same as forced redistribution of wealth via the government hand
The only governments that existed during Jesus's time were monarchies and Empires. Both of which taxed only for the purpose of increasing their military, and to subjugate the populace as a whole.

Our system of government strives to protect the citizens, serve the common good, and only tax when needed.

Part of that ideal translates into providing for the meek, and caring for those who can't care for themselves. Something many Christians seem unwilling to do.

Twist it however you want, but rich men won't get into heaven.

And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

Followed abruptly by

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
You are correct. They can't. So why all the paranoria from the left? Look at post #2 on this thread for an example.
The left isn't paranoid. You're the one who was on about what laws push a religious agenda. I answered you pretty thoroughly on that, I thought, and several times.

Quote:
The ACLU was started by communists. It's a fact. Maybe you should research them a little. Besides what they on their own website. And they have a habit of only supporting some issues. Usually left wing ones.
Right wingers are so afraid of the ACLU, yet know nothing about it. Meanwhile, they say bizarre things like "We don't have a separation of church and state. Never have." and support outfits like the ALJ. Why is this?

Quote:
Jesus was a a left winger? What a joke. Left wingers love government.
Left wingers love fairness and social justice -- another concept you've been trained to fear,to your own detriment -- not government. Where do you get your weird ideas?
Quote:
You say he was a troublemaker. Who did he make trouble for? The government. Who tried to kill him and his family before he was born? The government? Who was always trying to areest him and persecuting his followers? The government. Who killed him? The government..........You can't find one passage in the Bible that suggests Jesus was a left winger or a right winger. He was clearly anti-government. He was, more than likely, an anarchist. Who was always helping him? The private sector. Capatalists, if you will.

There isn't not one passage in the Biblle that suggest Jesus was anything but an anarchist. He was definatley not pro-government. Left or right.
^ irrelevant.

Quote:
YAnd your last paragraph suggests you expect anyone that goes to church to be perfect.
No, just to follow the Bible instead of other people.
Quote:
Seems like a high hurdle to me.
I'll bet.
Quote:
And what about all the con artists and hypocrites in Washington? At least religious hypocrites can't force you to something under threat of violence or jail like your beloved thugs in D.C.
I guess you were going for a big finish here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies