Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,821,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I know the good reverend is crazy but he seems to have quite a few potential parishoners on this thread.
Why do you hate free speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM

874 posts, read 1,656,149 times
oz, we are not at war with radical Christians. I don't understand the difficulty of you comprehending this.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 PM

56,958 posts, read 25,922,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I find it interesting that some of the people who vehemently protest the Mosque at Ground Zero being built even though it is an expression of Freedom of Religion also think this Pastor should disregard diplomacy, common courtesy, and the possibility of causing violence to be directed at our troops just to express his freedom of religion.

Both are legally fine (well, with the exception of not being able to burn books as a city ordinance of Gainesville) and an expression of a constitutionally protected freedom. However, both are in bad taste.
Disagreement on the mosque is one thing but getting soldiers killed is a little beyond bad taste don't you think??

Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,280,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
Indeed

"Pizz Christ" can win a Visual Arts Competition award and be sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts...and taxpayers.

...but, suddenly many are apoplectic that Islam dare be accosted or disrespected.
Please, you don't know how many of us liberals were just as disgusted by that so-called piece of art as you. I know I was and being an artist myself I understand that one of the main purposes of art is to evolve emotion in the viewer. In the case of the book burning, though, a Christian is suppose to follow the teachings of Jesus, not teach intolerance and hate which is what Terry Jones is doing.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,165,425 times
Quote:
I know the good reverend is crazy but he seems to have quite a few potential parishoners on this thread.
Not that many really, there's only a couple of trolls remaining.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
oz, we are not at war with radical Christians. I don't understand the difficulty of you comprehending this.
Ahhh,so the reason is we don't want Muslims murdering more people than normal???

I would think potentially offending another's religious beliefs is the point of this thread...and of course their violent reaction to it.

And of course free speech.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Disagreement on the mosque is one thing but getting soldiers killed is a little beyond bad taste don't you think??
Doesn't the problem lie with those doing the killing?

Nevermind,of course not....that is too logical.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,887,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Not that many really, there's only a couple of trolls remaining.
They'll be back tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,226,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Doesn't the problem lie with those doing the killing?

Nevermind,of course not....that is too logical.
thought crime!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Please, you don't know how many of us liberals were just as disgusted by that so-called piece of art as you. I know I was and being an artist myself I understand that one of the main purposes of art is to evolve emotion in the viewer. In the case of the book burning, though, a Christian is suppose to follow the teachings of Jesus, not teach intolerance and hate which is what Terry Jones is doing.
Would you support the burning if it was art?
NOT like it but support the artists right to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies