Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
We'll have to wait for the results of the investigation... Either way, shooting to death a drunk guy who is only armed with a knife is exaggerated in my view, unless he is holding the knife at the throat of a hostage or something like that.
You're entitled to your view but it's unrealistic. A person armed with a knife is a serious threat. Inside of 7yds they have a better chance of seriously injuring an officer than the officer has of shooting them.

Advancing on officers with a knife over your head is pretty much asking to get shot.

From the tone of your posts it seems you're predisposed to blaming the police. A degree of skepticism is a healthy thing but in this case you're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
An "immigrant" day laborer from Guatemala was shot and killed by LAPD when he ignored commands in English AND Spanish to drop his knife. So a mini riot ensued last night on the streets of Los Angeles in a predominantly Guatemalan neighborhood. The rioters threw bottles at police and set fires and some were arrested when they refused to disperse.

L.A. police, residents face off over police killing of Guatemalan - latimes.com
Sanctuary city like moths to a flame.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
You're entitled to your view but it's unrealistic. A person armed with a knife is a serious threat. Inside of 7yds they have a better chance of seriously injuring an officer than the officer has of shooting them.

Advancing on officers with a knife over your head is pretty much asking to get shot.

From the tone of your posts it seems you're predisposed to blaming the police. A degree of skepticism is a healthy thing but in this case you're wrong.
I don't want to blame the police, but I don't really trust them, either. They are like a closed society. And I guess they know about their reputation, else they would not have announced a transparent investigation.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe you're wrong. Every riot in LA certainly involves illegals.
Not exactly..
For the last 4 and one half decades..yes. all involved illegals. And not just LA, all over SoCal.
But 46 years ago(1964) there was the "Watts riots" in LA. which was a Civil Rights movement for African Americans.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 09-08-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Why shoot someone to death because of a knife? Seems a bit exaggerated. Wouldn't it have been enough to incapacitate him? Then again, maybe it is cheaper to bury him than to operate on him...
I agree with you there.......on the costs that is.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
I don't want to blame the police, but I don't really trust them, either. They are like a closed society. And I guess they know about their reputation, else they would not have announced a transparent investigation.
There are always investigations after a shooting. Announcing the investigation has nothing to do with their reputation. It's essentially saying "there will be no further statements until the investigation is concluded".

Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
For the last 4 and one half decades..yes. all involved illegals. And not just LA, all over SoCal.
But 46 years ago(1964) there was the "Watts riots" in LA. which was a Civil Rights movement for African Americans.
Yes - that's why I used the present tense "involves" because I realize that before there were illegals in California, there were some riots that didn't involve them. More and more they are who is rioting and the day the government handouts don't show up on time - expect some really big riots.

These people are biting at the bit to riot anyhow, it's not going to take much for them to get out of control in a very big way. Like Neuling, they have zero respect for our laws, our police. They believe they are entitled to do whatever the hell they want.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
We'll have to wait for the results of the investigation... Either way, shooting to death a drunk guy who is only armed with a knife is exaggerated in my view, unless he is holding the knife at the throat of a hostage or something like that.
"Only armed with a knife?" Knives are extremely dangerous and extremely hard to defend against. Why should law enforcement be forced to try to wrestle it away? This guy was drunk and lunged at the officers with a knife. The officers have families at home too, and this could have been avoided if they guy had simly dropped the knife when commanded.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 AM

720 posts, read 690,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
"Only armed with a knife?" Knives are extremely dangerous and extremely hard to defend against. Why should law enforcement be forced to try to wrestle it away? This guy was drunk and lunged at the officers with a knife. The officers have families at home too, and this could have been avoided if they guy had simly dropped the knife when commanded.

Could not have said it better. Yet there will always be the ones, whom have never walked in a LEO's shoes, judging them..

Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
When did criminal violent rioting become "civil unrest"

This isnt "Civil Unrest" this is violent distructive illegal behavior!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies