Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:22 PM

952 posts, read 942,468 times

Advertisements

I don't like tattoos; since my first, and last, visit to Wang's Economy Tattoos and Vacuum Cleaner Repair Emporium

"We ran out of Red...so I used pink"

followed by,

"Eagle?...uh, I thought you said Beagle!"

WTH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But we don't ask you to please associate with those people either. Yet, people with tattoos want to be accepted by other people. They feel that they shouldn't be shunned...whereas I don't see an issue with shunning anyone you don't want around you or in your life.

If you make a choice, and we don't agree with that choice, it's our prerogative not to associate with you or be around you.
So? You freely admit you don't socialize with people anyway, so what's the big deal?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
My question, again, is why do people with tattoos complain that some people do not and will not accept them because of their "artwork"?

Why should people complain about other people that shun them for ANY choice they have made? Another good example is single mothers complaining that guys don't want to date them. They made a choice, they deal with the consequences of their choice.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
My question, again, is why do people with tattoos complain that some people do not and will not accept them because of their "artwork"?

Why should people complain about other people that shun them for ANY choice they have made? Another good example is single mothers complaining that guys don't want to date them. They made a choice, they deal with the consequences of their choice.
I don't care if someone doesn't want to associate or 'accept' me because of my tattoos. That's not the type of person I would want to be friends with in the first place.

I prefer my friends to be a little less shallow than that, but to each his/her own.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't care if someone doesn't want to associate or 'accept' me because of my tattoos. That's not the type of person I would want to be friends with in the first place.

I prefer my friends to be a little less shallow than that, but to each his/her own.
Absolutely agree. If that's the criteria people are using for friendship, move along.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

That's why the two of you are on here defending your tattoos--right. Got it.

And I seem to remember you saying there were some things you didn't like. No one is denying you the right to shun those people that don't meet with your approval, no matter how "shallow" it might be. It's perfectly acceptable for you to do so...and it's perfectly acceptable for people not to like tattoos.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Most people on the outside of the tattoo subculture don't have a clue of the history of "getting inked," and no idea of the commitment and pain it takes to have an image in your mind, your group (military), culture, be permanently placed for everyone to see.

I think a tattoo should be something you think about for a long time...it says something about you to everyone you meet. It can easily change peoples opinion of you, whether good or bad. Basically you cannot be afraid of their opinion.

Edit: People without tattoos might do this through other means, but with a tattoo, you cannot morph your image easily. You are, who you are, your choices are out in the open.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:

And I seem to remember you saying there were some things you didn't like. No one is denying you the right to shun those people that don't meet with your approval, no matter how "shallow" it might be. It's perfectly acceptable for you to do so...and it's perfectly acceptable for people not to like tattoos.
Of course there are some things I don't like... I don't like bleach blonde hair. Doesn't mean I'm going to be downright mean or rude to someone with bleach blonde hair, nor will I decide not to become their friend because of it.

You absolutely have every right not to befriend someone because of superficial reasons, I never said you didn't. I just said it's a silly reason. Nobody is stopping you, and I'm not forcing anyone to 'like' my tattoos. If you don't like them, fine...just don't treat me like I'm subhuman for them. Hell, you don't even have to like me as a person, but why go out of your way to be mean to a person because they chose a different path in life to than you?

The only difference between tattooed and non-tattooed people, is that tattooed people don't care if you have one or not.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:00 PM

If I shun most people, how would they know the reason? Not all of them are tattooed.

Your posts still seem to address "acceptance". People treat smokers badly...that's fine, it's their right to do so.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I don't shun anyone for how they look, that was my point. I may not like it, but they are free to look however they want, and it would not affect my ability to interact with them at all.

I do not have any tattoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies