Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times

Advertisements

I am by no stretch of the imagination a Sarah Palin supporter. However, I do understand her appeal.

She has a genuineness about her that most politicians lack. She seems like real people because she is one. She has an ability to relate to real people, and they can relate back (unlike President Obama, who as president has really surprised me by seeming to be unable to relate to avg. Americans)

She was (is?) a legitimate outsider, even in the Republican Party. Her views resonate with a lot of people, especially now that so many voters are having buyers remorse with the Democrats. Her views have a common sense appeal about them, even though she has not developed them to any great depth.

From my point of view her biggest liability is her lack of depth. While by many accounts she was a good governor, with a command of the issues that face Alaska, I don't think she has the same command of national or especially international issues. Unlike her critics, I don't think she is stupid. But she is ignorant about many international issues, and doesn't seem too interested in finding out about them. For these reasons, I would not vote for her for President.

What I can't understand is the amount of hate she generates on the left. Most of the criticism of her is unwarranted. Katie Couric would never have dared asking a Democratic politician about their news sources. Let's face it, probably 90% of governors, state legislators, and congressmen would flunk the same test. They are not an especially bright, worldly, sophisticated group. They are adept at staying on poll tested message, self-promotion, and kissing the right behinds. I think Senators as a whole are slightly more knowledgeable about the world.

What the left is practicing here is good old-fashioned elitism. They mock her broad, upper-Mid West accent. She didn't go to the right schools. She doesn't hob nob with the smart set. She doesn't hold politically correct vies. Her book was no more vacuous than Nancy Pelosi's, but Pelosi is one of them and Palin is not.

I think I just answered my own question: I guess I do understand why the left hates her. They hold her in contempt because she is "common". They fear her because deep down they know she is more in tune with the American people and they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This question and this answer is how you judge Sarah Palin for better or for worse?

Now we know how Barack Obama got elected. By people with skin-deep intellect and zero propensity to dig deeper for real insight.
exactly. what's ironic is Obama is a walking gaffe and he gets a pass. 57 states?

and fwiw, Palin's answer was correct and really what I think many would give. Open to all credible news sources; don't think she was in a position to go further - cbs, msnbc, fox, etc. Any one who sees this short clip and takes a strong position one way or the other has outside issues. It wasn't a lame answer.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Like someone else mentioned, I think she was nervous. It was more her body language then the actual words that made her appear as if she didn't have an answer. She gave a perfectly political answer "a vast variety" but her actions made her look unsure of herself. And the little bit about Alaska being perceived as a foreign country (or something like that I don't wanna watch the clip again to get the exact wording) made it seem like she was scrambling.

I'm sure she's better now that she's had more experience with interviews

Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I am by no stretch of the imagination a Sarah Palin supporter. However, I do understand her appeal.

She has a genuineness about her that most politicians lack. She seems like real people because she is one. She has an ability to relate to real people, and they can relate back (unlike President Obama, who as president has really surprised me by seeming to be unable to relate to avg. Americans)

She was (is?) a legitimate outsider, even in the Republican Party. Her views resonate with a lot of people, especially now that so many voters are having buyers remorse with the Democrats. Her views have a common sense appeal about them, even though she has not developed them to any great depth.

From my point of view her biggest liability is her lack of depth. While by many accounts she was a good governor, with a command of the issues that face Alaska, I don't think she has the same command of national or especially international issues. Unlike her critics, I don't think she is stupid. But she is ignorant about many international issues, and doesn't seem too interested in finding out about them. For these reasons, I would not vote for her for President.

What I can't understand is the amount of hate she generates on the left. Most of the criticism of her is unwarranted. Katie Couric would never have dared asking a Democratic politician about their news sources. Let's face it, probably 90% of governors, state legislators, and congressmen would flunk the same test. They are not an especially bright, worldly, sophisticated group. They are adept at staying on poll tested message, self-promotion, and kissing the right behinds. I think Senators as a whole are slightly more knowledgeable about the world.

What the left is practicing here is good old-fashioned elitism. They mock her broad, upper-Mid West accent. She didn't go to the right schools. She doesn't hob nob with the smart set. She doesn't hold politically correct vies. Her book was no more vacuous than Nancy Pelosi's, but Pelosi is one of them and Palin is not.

I think I just answered my own question: I guess I do understand why the left hates her. They hold her in contempt because she is "common". They fear her because deep down they know she is more in tune with the American people and they are not.
I totally agree with the first bolded part and I think that is why many on the left questioned her ability to lead the country. Perhaps the right cabinet would make up for her deficiencies if she got elected.

The second bolded part I think are just ways that some petty people choose to make fun of her. Personal attacks on her deflect from the main reason why some don't want to vote for her (the first bolded part) and don't add to the argument really.

I don't really appreciate the whole left not being part of "the American people" idea. Perhaps it would be more accurate for you to say "the United States is more of a center right country and therefore those on the left are in the minority and feel threatened by her because of that" instead of simply saying the left is out of touch with the American people.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
I have extremely intelligent friends who love Sarah Palin, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I just can't get past this video where Katie C asks her what news sources she read and Sarah responded with "all of them, any of them." Someone please explain.

YouTube - Palin: I Read All the News
Palin:

Crazy, stupid, greedy.

The corporate media has been engaged (over the past few months) in a major PR campaign to raise her reputation among the general public.

Even though, 59% said she would be an 'ineffective president'- probably because that was the most negative answer offered in the options.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
They hold her in contempt because she is "common". They fear her because deep down they know she is more in tune with the American people and they are not.

I dislike her because she used her down syndrome baby to get the sympathy vote.

I dislike her because she is a quitter who couldn't even bother to finish out her term once she got a taste of the spotlight.

I don't think she is that in tune with the American people. I guess it depends on where in America you are talking about.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Someone please explain.
Sarah Palin is SO STUPID that she can't understand "SHARING THE WEALTH", taken by force of government is a GOOD THING.
Sarah Palin is SO STUPID that she can't grasp that "No one should suffer because they lack {fill in the blank}" - probably because she prefaces that with "No one should be compelled to labor for another, so that..."
Sarah Palin is SO STUPID that she still thinks government was instituted to secure rights granted by one's Creator - not privileges bestowed by the government (and thus under its control).
Sarah Palin is SO STUPID that she thinks it is slavery to compel others into involuntary servitude, even if it is for the benefit of the collective State.
Sarah Palin is SO STUPID that she believes that we shouldn't peacefully co-exist with evil doers. She probably thinks that tolerance of predators is unmerciful to their next victims.
Sarah Palin is SO STUPID that she believes that justice is giving every man his due, and not a protection racket, based on bribery, opinion polls, and popularity contests.

Gosh - she is SO STUPID.

[sarcasm flag off]

Last edited by jetgraphics; 09-08-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I don't know why, if the Libs think she's a stupid light weight, they are so threatened by her.
I further don't understand why the conservatives whose opinions I usually agree with, think she is so wonderful. Maybe those old farts are just mesmerized by someone who's photogenic?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
I think she's good, not great. I do not think she is a fake like the females on the left. She works hard for her family and the left thinks that we shouldn't have to work for anything, just stand with their hands out. They want to stand in lines for hours for toilet paper, and bread, I guess. Government forced share the wealth, is a bad, bad thing. Just ask anyone who lives in places like Romania. See how well that works out for them.
Sarah isn't stupid for being against that, but smart. The Dems cannot see past their noses, so when she tells about being careful of the liberal controlled future, they get mad and call her stupid. Sounds like something a 4 year old would say. If they don't understand something, it is labeled as "stupid"

Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I dislike her because she used her down syndrome baby to get the sympathy vote.

I dislike her because she is a quitter who couldn't even bother to finish out her term once she got a taste of the spotlight.

I don't think she is that in tune with the American people. I guess it depends on where in America you are talking about.
Should she have hidden her son away? Brought out only her "normal" children? She quit because she was driven out. She is more in tune with real America, then most politicians. Except she is not a politician, now, is she.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies