Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 PM

14,940 posts, read 8,552,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's a possibility, too.

Here's another news station's story:
Uniondale Family Afraid After Weekend Dispute « CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

It doesn't appear to be a made up story. It is a bad area, prior shootings, history of drugs and crime going back decades.

I wager he isn't going to get off easy. The DA is making a run for the NYS AG -- this poor guy is going to be made an example.
And that truly is the biggest problem ... too many sheep believing it is the sole responsibility of the police to protect them, rather than protecting themselves. And the anti-gun argument knows no boundaries when it comes to avoiding common sense.

Even those who claim to have 30 years of LE experience believe the true danger was the warning shots fired into the ground and not the 20 gang bangers threatening the man's family.

What people don't realize is that the police have NO OBLIGATION to protect your life ... their job is to protect property and enforce the laws of their jurisdiction which are also geared toward protecting property.

(a must read: Legal Snares for the Unwary Law-Abiding Citizen )

This is of particular importance to understand your relationship with police and their duty to you (there is no duty to you), as law enforcement becomes increasingly hostile to the very idea of a citizen using force to protect themselves. They don't have a responsibility to protect you, and they want to outlaw your ability to do so yourself.

Today, you are almost just as likely to become a victim of violence FROM police, as you are unlikely to be protected by them.

Voices - America in Crisis – Increasing Police Violence

So you must ask yourself ... if you don't have the right to defend yourself ... and the police don't have an obligation to do it for you ... where does this leave us all? I'll tell you .... at the mercy of both the police and the criminals, where the line between them seems to be fading, and the concern for your personal well being seems to be equally lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:31 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,078,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
we have already established that this was not an automatic weapon.

unless you are using that term to mean simi-automatic?

Actually, semi automatic. Don't know what "simi" is.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:31 PM

20,418 posts, read 12,336,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
From the article:

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

"He thought might have been?" really?

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house

Ran upstairs (away from danger) told his wife to call the police. Got his rifle ran BACK OUT (toward danger) .

Sounds perfectly logical to me. Sorry, something is missing. I would love to see the police report on this.
where was the nephew? in the car? the 20 guys were in the driveway back here near the house. does that mean they were on his property and moving toward the rear of the house where there is less chance of witnessess?

I agree, i would love to see the Police Report.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM

20,418 posts, read 12,336,159 times
Quote:
Actually, semi automatic. Don't know what "simi" is.
im dyslexic. cant tell the difference.... sorry.

so you meant semi automatic not "machine gun"

got it. just being clear on terms here... we already dealt with someone thinking this was a fully auto AK....

Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,853,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
NCPD (covers Uniondale) has some of the -- if not the -- highest paid cops in the USA. Taxes in Nassau are also through the roof. So where do the pols cut back? Hire fewer cops, thin the ranks through attrition. Meanwhile we are seeing a surge in illegal immigrants as well as a rise in violent gangs such as MS-13. If the PD payroll is high, people complain about that. If the crime rate goes up, people complain cops aren't doing enough. Then complain that their taxes will go up when the County hires more LEOs.

As for NYC -- my dad is ret NYPD. He was in the Bronx during the Fort Apache years, riots, Son of Sam, PCP, Crack, drug wars and retired a few years after my friend, PO Eddie Byrne, was assassinated while keeping watch over a drug informant's house. These men had a lot going on, the City was in financial crisis for part of that time. Rome wasn't built in a day, crime doesn't go away overnight.

As for NYC and the danger -- think about the population density of the area and the ratio of cop to civilian. The the cop gave you two sets of directions. You could have taken either -- which one did you use? Do you prefer a proactive approach or a reactive one?

LEOs can not be everywhere -- the resources don't allow for it.

Maybe the Grier situation will be the one which starts more people realizing that gangs pose a very serious threat to the safety many people take for granted within our communities.
Citizen-residents of NYC will never be allowed to defend themselves as long as Bloomberg and Clinton live in the state and run its policies.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,561,768 times
Quote:
From the article:

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

"He thought might have been?" really?
Does it matter? MS-13 or twenty random people threatening to kill you - who cares? He had very good reason to believe that his family was at risk.

Quote:
“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house

Ran upstairs (away from danger) told his wife to call the police. Got his rifle ran BACK OUT (toward danger) .

Sounds perfectly logical to me. Sorry, something is missing. I would love to see the police report on this.

He told his family to hide and call the police and went to try to stop the gang from entering the house looking for his family. I would rather deter them from entering the house than simply hope the 20 of them didn't find my "secret hiding place" where they would have access to me and my family.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,633,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
The real mistake that this man made is that he elicited the ire of the local chapter of MS13.
He might've felt that he was averting trouble the moment that he stepped out upon his doorstep with an AK47 but did not realize that
because of this ill conceived "fix", for what could have been an otherwise avoidable incident, he's veritably sealed his own fate. If the
skewed legal system here in NY, doesn't make him regret his impetuous decision, I'm reasonably certain that having to spend the rest of
his nights there in Uniondale, sleeping with one eye open, surely will.
I believe he acted viscerally, with one thought -- protecting his family. As a local church deacon, he has probably a fair idea who the gang bangers are and how they've terrified his flock.

Quote:
I'm also wondering why the homeowner had lost sight of the fairly recent conviction
Quote:
and incarceration of John White, another gun owning
Long Island citizen who found himself indicted for manslaughter because of a similar incident. No, if I were this poor fellow, I'd worry less about the
legal ramifications of his errant actions, and so much more about what those MS13ers are going to do to him and his family, especially now that he
has to go down to Sports Authority and buy a pump shotgun and a box of buckshot, to replace his confiscated rifle.
In an earlier linked article, it stated he is using security cameras and a pit bull.

Heat of the moment -- with seconds to think, he wasn't going to mull over the White case. Also in the White case, it was some drunken teens and not a large group of gang bangers.

Quote:
Because Long Island has so gracefully accepted the likes of MS13 in their neighborhoods,
Quote:
I'm sure that we'll be getting the street level feedback
before too much time passes. In their twisted Hispanic minds, they've been "dissed" by a black man who is living on their turf and if my senses about
them, as a gang, are correct, I just know that they'll be back. I hope that when the poor guy finishes paying for his lawyer, he has enough money left
to also buy himself a bulletproof vest and increase his life insurance and his fire insurance coverage. Can't you just feel the love here?
Speak for your own community. I don't see many areas 'gracefully accepting' MS-13 and such human detritus. Unwittingly, unwillingly - yes.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,078,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And that truly is the biggest problem ... too many sheep believing it is the sole responsibility of the police to protect them, rather than protecting themselves. And the anti-gun argument knows no boundaries when it comes to avoiding common sense.

Even those who claim to have 30 years of LE experience believe the true danger was the warning shots fired into the ground and not the 20 gang bangers threatening the man's family.

What people don't realize is that the police have NO OBLIGATION to protect your life ... their job is to protect property and enforce the laws of their jurisdiction which are also geared toward protecting property.

(a must read: Legal Snares for the Unwary Law-Abiding Citizen )

This is of particular importance to understand your relationship with police and their duty to you (there is no duty to you), as law enforcement becomes increasingly hostile to the very idea of a citizen using force to protect themselves. They don't have a responsibility to protect you, and they want to outlaw your ability to do so yourself.

Today, you are almost just as likely to become a victim of violence FROM police, as you are unlikely to be protected by them.

Voices - America in Crisis – Increasing Police Violence

So you must ask yourself ... if you don't have the right to defend yourself ... and the police don't have an obligation to do it for you ... where does this leave us all? I'll tell you .... at the mercy of both the police and the criminals, where the line between them seems to be fading, and the concern for your personal well being seems to be equally lacking.

Number one, I did not say the "gang" members were not a threat.

Number two: you have an absolute right to defend yourself. According to the law.

Number three: The police don't write the laws, they enforce what's on the books.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,853,833 times
Sheepdogs stand guard in the face of danger. That is why he went toward danger.

Sheep hate sheepdogs because they are reminded of the wolves' existence.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,633,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Citizen-residents of NYC will never be allowed to defend themselves as long as Bloomberg and Clinton live in the state and run its policies.

Long Island isn't NYC, but has enough people seeking to eliminate the right to carry. DH has handguns and had to jump through numerous hoops in order to get the permit to carry and keep.

Given the article, though, you see what the law-abiding are up against here.

One link has pictures of the man's house. It has a tiny front yard but a long driveway to the rear. 20 men would be into that house in no time flat. Grier realized that. He is fortunate that no one was killed, injured and that his family was safe. There are so many ways this could have played out -- and this was the best case scenario. Now I can only hope that the DA doesn't hang this guy out to dry in her bid for NYS AG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies