Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
These increases will bankrupt many people.

$1100? I cannot absorb that kind of increase.

This is outright theft of citizens' by big government negotiated by O and his dream team, made via back room deals.

Well, join the crowd if you can't afford insurance. I know lots of people who pay more than that now. I guess you haven't been paying much attention to the news for the past several years. Insurance premiums have been estimated to rise dramatically because of the high cost of medical care. If Obama had done nothing at all, they would have gone up anyway.

By the way, I do not approve of the current health reform bill as it's currently written. By the time I'm eligible for Medicare, if it still exists, I'll probably be dead if we don't get some kind of major health reform.

Just want to add something. I live in Florida where the Republicans voted for Rick Scott to be their candidate for Gov of FL. While he was CEO of Columbia/HCA, there was an investigation for Medicare & Medicaid billing fraud. Not only was his company found guilty, but it was fined $1.7 billion - the largest in Medicare history - for fraud. That means, in simple terms, he stole from the taxpayers. Even so, he took quite a golden parachute...$300 million. Not bad for someone who was forced out of a company that was convicted of fraud, huh? Can someone explain to me why anyone would want this man to be in power?

[URL="http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-04/news/os-capview-column-deslatte090510-20100903_1_health-care-medicaid-patients-medicare-and-medicaid"]As CEO, Scott urged private health care - Orlando Sentinel[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
I think you're misunderstanding just what 'defensive medicine' is. It's the practice of ordering excessive tests/procedures as a CYA mode. It happens due to the perceived threat of litigation over any potential missed diagnosis.

See the prior post regarding OB/GYNs.
In the case justNancy described, "defensive medicine" would have involved taking the patient's concerns seriously.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In the case justNancy described, "defensive medicine" would have involved taking the patient's concerns seriously.
No, actually... standard of care would seem to be lacking in that case.

Defensive medicine has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:07 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Insurers Pin Rate Hikes on Health Law - WSJ.com

"Health insurers say they plan to raise premiums for some Americans as a direct result of the health overhaul in coming weeks, complicating Democrats' efforts to trumpet their signature achievement before the midterm elections."

and

"The rate increases largely apply to policies for individuals and small businesses and don't include people covered by a big employer or Medicare."

What was that about Obama's policies to help small business, the back-bone of the American economy? Please someone remind me.
Ours went up 30%. Cant wait for the next bump and thank you Mr. President for all your #%@#$#$ng help. Kiss Nancy for me.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Can you provide a little "filler". Just what provisions in the Health Care Reform are making premiums go up?
Well let me see you provide the same as far as how this ugly bill will reduce our premiums. I say proof is in the old puddin and our insurance just jumped.

I just don't see how people can be so #$#$#ng stupid as to think this bill is a good thing. Especially when democrats are backing away from it like herpes. Must be nice to be able to go to bed all cozy and feeling like the gov is going to take care of you.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Seems many are saying insurance would have gone up anyway without the bill ....WTH
This bill was SUPPOSED TO REIGN this stuff in not make it worse.

Now we not only get the normal increase but added to that to account for those "new" insured folks who had caps or refusals or couldn't even pay.
Now that everyone is guaranteed insurance without caps, the parts that come into force now have to be paid for by us, those that have been carrying insurance.

No, those that had insurance before are WORSE OFF due to this healthcare subsidization bill because it is the insured that are paying the subsidization costs.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Can you provide a little "filler". Just what provisions in the Health Care Reform are making premiums go up?
While I can't provide the provisions in HCR, I will type the portion of my insurance increase letter from EmblemHealth with their vague reasoning below:

Quote:
The total estimated percent increase includes three components. The first is a basic increase for your type of plan. The second is an increase resulting from the cost of benefit enhancements required by the new federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). The third is for an increase resulting from the elimination of the New York State subsidy for small group mental health benefits (also known as Timothy's Law).
Addressing the insurance letter:
1) previous increases were no more than 8-9%
2) Benefit enhancements? More things are being denied!
3) Timothy's Law cost us approx < $6 per person or < $24 for my family.

The increase we are to expect is between 22% - 27%

Let's be optimistic and hope for 22%:

22% increase$1717 X 22% = $378
- traditional increase of 9% -$156
- Timothy's Law increase -$24
$198 of premium increase toward PPACA or $2376 a year.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Well let me see you provide the same as far as how this ugly bill will reduce our premiums. I say proof is in the old puddin and our insurance just jumped.

I just don't see how people can be so #$#$#ng stupid as to think this bill is a good thing. Especially when democrats are backing away from it like herpes. Must be nice to be able to go to bed all cozy and feeling like the gov is going to take care of you.
I never said it would reduce premiums. In fact, I've gone on record as saying that I thought health care reform would not reduce premiums. However, for these ins. companies to raise rates and blame health care reform, even when it doesn't apply, is just an excuse on the part of the ins. companies.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:51 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Well I'm not sure why they went up so high but at my job a family plans employee contribution rose from $250.00 to $500.00 per month, a lot of people had to switch to another plan, my wifes didnt increase neer as much.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I had an accident in May and spent 5 days in the hospital. So nobody has to tell me about the high cost of medical care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Well I'm not sure why they went up so high but at my job a family plans employee contribution rose from $250.00 to $500.00 per month, a lot of people had to switch to another plan, my wifes didnt increase neer as much.
If you didn't have group benefits, a family plan would probably cost close to $1,000 a month, depending on the size of your family, health history, and the deductible you choose. Of course there are plans with lower monthly premiums, but then the deductibles or co-pays are higher or benefits are reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Ours went up 30%. Cant wait for the next bump and thank you Mr. President for all your #%@#$#$ng help. Kiss Nancy for me.
For a minute there, I thought you were talking about me. Guess you mean Pelosi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies