Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Have you ever killed a mosquito? a mouse? A flea or any other animal? Do you were any leather?

Or is your "love" only to cats and dogs? Most animal lovers are hypoctites.
i have killED insects, and mice when no other option was available. when you work in the national parks, and people complain about rodents in their rooms, you have to do something about it despite the fact that the people likely have food, or food wrappers in their rooms, which is what the mice are looking for. but even then i avoid killing mice. i have had mice in my room, and i generally ignored them. no hypocrisy here.

Quote:
Other than for your overbearing "love", what good are pet cats and dogs?

What useful service they provide? I'm not talking about hunting dogs. I am talking about pets only.
pets help lower blood pressure, and often times create a sense of contentment when they are around. dogs trained as service animals help the handicapped, in many areas of life, seeing eye dogs for instance help the blind in many ways. other service dogs help people with anxiety disorders remain fairly calm because of their presence.

when you learn to properly control a dog, you gain confidence in your life also. pets have many ways in which they are beneficial.

Quote:
You people need to grow up.
actually you are the one that needs to grow up and see the world as it truly is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually I have compassion for animals but unlike liberals, I think humans are better than animals. I know liberals can't understand this because they hate their fellow man (like the very excellent movie Avatar, even though it had a clear anti-human message), unless they are liberal of course
I am not liberal and I don't think humans are 'better' than animals. Only the very insecure would need to make comparisons like that.
If you can see an animal as beneath you, it's not too difficult to start justifying seeing other people as beneath you, too. You being all exalted and up on high as you are.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
This is truly disgusting. Be warned not to watch the video if these things upset you. Only posting to create more awareness to these horrible acts of cruelty. How people could do this to innocent animals is beyond me. These people should be placed in cages and treated in the same manner in which they did to the animals. How can people do things like this? It's beyond sad that people could do these acts.

Professional Laboratory and Research Services Investigation | PETA.org
This is disgusting, and just points out the lack of compassion that exists in some people in our society for the most helpless and defenseless, namely the animals who depend on humans to take care of them and are then tortured.
These Americans don't seem to care much about innocent civillians being blown up in Afganistan or Iraq either. In fact, some Americans didnt seem to be much interested in helping their own citizens in New Orleans. I guess some Americans just dont give a s__t about anything or anyone but themselves.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually I have compassion for animals but unlike liberals, I think humans are better than animals. I know liberals can't understand this because they hate their fellow man (like the very excellent movie Avatar, even though it had a clear anti-human message), unless they are liberal of course

Humans, Homo sapians, are animals. We're certainly not monera, or protista, or fungi, or plants.

I always find it odd when someone separates humans from the animal world. That is our kingdom.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM

36 posts, read 126,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then where is the compassion for humans? there was a survey taken once, the question was;

lets say you are walking down the beach, and you come across two beings that are struggling to get to shore, but both are losing the effort. you have time to save only one of them. the two beings are your family dog and a total human stranger. which would you save?

strangely enough the answers fell equally in three catagories;

the dog 33%
the human 33%
do nothing 33%

that means that fully 2/3 of the respondents would either save the dog or do nothing. so again, where is the compassion for human beings?

i fully realize that you can have compassion for both animals and humans, the problem is that too many people have either more compassion for animals or no compassion at all.
Where did you get this info from? you can also say 2/3 of the people would save the stranger or do nothing. or 2/3 would save a life. maybe 1/3 of the people that took the survey can't swim!!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
What is it with every animal abuse thread having people screaming about 'what about the human abuse!". This thread is not about that. Start your own thread about it. Simply because a thread is about animal abuse it does not preclude that humans are being abused also. There seems to be a serious logic disconnect going on with some of you, I swear.

That off my chest, about this subject: Guess what? Humans are animals. We are part of the animal kingdom, and simply because we evolved to a more intelligent state than the rest does not give us domain over them to do as we please. On the contrary, I think our capacity for compassion places a burden on us to be a good steward of those we would otherwise lord over. We have a tremendous capacity to destroy and cause pain and suffering, but that doesn't mean we can do all that. We must be responsible enough to realize the power we wield and to have compassion over the other animals we share this planet with. We are no more valuable than they are. To say otherwise is an affront to all life on this planet.

PS - many times these labs and testing facilities get their animals from strays. Chip your pets, spay/neuter them, keep them on a leash, make sure they are collared with ID tags. Don't let them just run around willy nilly. Otherwise they may end up in such a place.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
This has nothing to do with the fact the OP was putting the message out to educate and my response was to a person that made a dumb statement to that. There are a bunch of people out there unaware of this type of abuse and most of what the organizations you mentioned do is to try and educate people. No I don't agree with everything they do but find me a group that does everything right and post it here. I have been reading and EDUCATING myself about animal abuse for over twenty years and yes I am a member of PETA and The Humane Society plus several others. There are other methods to test drugs, look it up for yourself. A lot of animal testing is for vanity so is that ok? So an animal should be tortured so I can wear mascara? It's already proven it's not necessary because a bunch of companies don't do that testing. The ones that do, are lazy, selfish and trying to just save a buck out of greed but again this is all info. that can be found on the internet if anyone really wants to learn about it and be a better person. I would rather they tested on guys that molest children and let their skin burn than an innocent helpless animal but instead our tax money goes to prosecuting them, putting a roof over their head, feeding them. Obviously that's not going to happen but to say groups that try to educate the abuse/neglect of animals hates people is just as dumb as the first statement I said was dumb.

Even though others have said it in this thread, I still haven't read something that explains why some of you think people can't care about animals and humans? Honestly, I wouldn't doubt some of these people don't treat animals too well either because it seems they don't have any compassion for them or understand they FEEL PAIN. Do you not get that? Any decent human being would not want to inflict pain on anyone or anything that can feel pain.

Oh and I don't only help animals, I volunteer, donate money and help people whenever I can that's not what the thread was about. Those thinking animals deserve less, I would like to know what you are doing to help anyone but yourself.
Humane Society of the United States: Funding sources, staff profiles, and political agenda

Too much insanity to even comment on...from their leaders suggesting using braindead humans for research to save animals, to their ties to ecoterrorism with John Goodwin and others. The HSUS was barred from the 2000 CITES convention because of proven lies and false accusations.

That you would support torturing humans is striking but not surprising. I would love to see a psychological study of the animal rights mindset that exalts animals above humans or makes them equal.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Humane Society of the United States: Funding sources, staff profiles, and political agenda

Too much insanity to even comment on...from their leaders suggesting using braindead humans for research to save animals, to their ties to ecoterrorism with John Goodwin and others. The HSUS was barred from the 2000 CITES convention because of proven lies and false accusations.

That you would support torturing humans is striking but not surprising. I would love to see a psychological study of the animal rights mindset that exalts animals above humans or makes them equal.
And I'd love to see a psychological study into the mindset of why some people feel they are superior to all other animals. What makes you so special? Your ability to torture and murder? Your ability to decimate the planet you live on? Your ability to create technology capable of wiping all living beings off the face of the planet? As far as I know, humans are the only ones capable of this and succeed extremely well in this capacity. If that makes you superior, then you have a very different definition of superiority than I do.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
And I'd love to see a psychological study into the mindset of why some people feel they are superior to all other animals. What makes you so special? Your ability to torture and murder? Your ability to decimate the planet you live on? Your ability to create technology capable of wiping all living beings off the face of the planet? As far as I know, humans are the only ones capable of this and succeed extremely well in this capacity. If that makes you superior, then you have a very different definition of superiority than I do.
The ability to reason, have true emotions, the ability to invent, and so forth.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Just because we are more highly evolved does not make us superior. We all share this planet together, yet humans are the only species that actively destroy it in spite of ourselves. That does not equate to superiority.

You use a human measuring stick for all living beings and then claim that's why we are superior. Yes, that makes us unique, but not superior. That's about as idiotic as saying well, dogs have fur, therefore they are superior. Animals have many desirable traits that some could argue make THEM superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies