Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Perhaps you guys should spend less time "imagining" things. Your imaginations seem to scare the livin' bejeezus out of you.

You will find advocates for equally goofy ideas among all segments of the population. The fact remains though that the nations in question are already capable of dealing with dissent.

Need I point out that the greatest terrorist threat experienced by the UK has never been the Muslims. Good old Irish Catholics get credit for that status. And they turned out to not be an existential threat to the UK either, even though there were more of them than there are Muslims, with another 4 million one island away.

The fact that you are terrified of Muslims does not mean serious people need to be.
Not I, but it seems our government sure is with the pressure they put on the Florida minister to not burn a book. The goal of terror is not to kill but put fear in the people. I'd venture to say it's working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Remember this?
"We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show," the posting reads. "This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them."
The fact that we have these violent American-hating foreigners in our country, threatening us and telling us to censor our own harmless cartoons otherwise we'll end up dead, is something any reasonable person who values our American rights to freedom of expression should be greatly concerned about Islam creeping into our nation.
South Park Episode Player - South Park: Cartoon Wars Part I

I actually don't blame the larger Muslim community for this. I think it is a very small number of folks that want to threaten violence every time there beliefs are criticized. Let me also add that the latest round of violence/retribution for a particular type of programing was not specify done in the name of Islam. Of course I'm talking about the discovery channel hostage situation.

the discovery channel hostage - Google Search

The real problem in the case of the south park issue is the moral courage of the network/cable companies to air offensive material to a specific group(s). Granted I do understand two things. 1. Is that these are private companies and they may show or not show program content at their will. And 2. that there maybe a possibility of violence toward these companies in response to their content and they are not willing to accept the responsibility of innocent people (employees) getting killed/hurt .
But in my mind this is a chance that should take. More importantly this is a burden we MUST demand their bear. In fact this is a burden we as a nation need to bear. Freedom of speech over the fear of losing ourselves/fellow Americans in retribution attack for offending someone/groups. Basically to me is in our American IDEOLOGY to do our best to maintain our right to non-violently criticize FULLY all/any groups at almost any cost to ourselves.
Granted I understand there are limitations to free speech. Case in point yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater. In fact perhaps some people out there may think that inciting certain groups (not just Muslims) is Tantamount to yelling "FIRE!" But I think the right to free speech vastly supersedes the general publics safety. Of course you may disagree with this if you so choose.

I do truly hope that ALL of America will start standing up against ALL types of censorship in our media. I really can't say I'm sorry if someone gets offended by someone/somethings words/actions. It to me is part of an IDEOLOGY that we have agreed to as a society. Grant that could be subject to change at any moment. But as it stands right now that's the way we have decided to conduct our lives in the public realm.

P.S. the south park episode I posted above was not the episode that caused the veiled threat to the creators of south park. But I believe is covers the current battle between free speech and censorship in the media very well.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
I don't understand how they can NOT be seen as a threat when they can usurp the freedom of speech of this church. We'll see if the Imam keeps his promise to the pastor of the church to build the mosque at a different location. All of a sudden freedom of religion outweighs freedom of speech. Sure didn't think I'd see that. Maybe it's because it's not a Christain religion.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
We'll see if the Imam keeps his promise to the pastor of the church to build the mosque at a different location.
You need to pay attention and catch up. Two minutes after the preacher said that the Imam would move the mosque, the Imam said that he never made such a promise.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 PM

59 posts, read 51,575 times
Now the preacher is saying he still may go through with it too. Guess we'll see soon.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I have my doubts if there are really that many 'moderates'...
They are all moderates until the point that they slice throats of innocent people to hijack a plane and until they blow themselves up in order to kill innocent students at a coffee shop in Israel and until they blow up a train because it's filled with Hindu commuters.

The problem with Islam is that if they believe in Sharia law and what the Koran instructs, they are radical.

There are some Muslims who are in name only because they are not free to leave the ideology. Sharia law specifies death to those who try to leave the religion or to criticize it in any way.

Now one question - is a Muslim who doesn't believe in Sharia law, doesn't believe that Islam has to be the only religion and believes that they have the right to try other religions, associate with infidels, become an infidel and so on, really still a Muslim?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:51 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You need to pay attention and catch up. Two minutes after the preacher said that the Imam would move the mosque, the Imam said that he never made such a promise.

Oh, I see, the minute the pastor backs off he changes his story.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not I, but it seems our government sure is with the pressure they put on the Florida minister to not burn a book. The goal of terror is not to kill but put fear in the people. I'd venture to say it's working.
Exactly right. Islamists have just won again.
Look at how much pressure has been put on that crazy/brave pastor in Florida?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well that 'Imam' certainly wouldn't lie or hide information...oh,hang on he already HAS done that.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Now one question - is a Muslim who doesn't believe in Sharia law, doesn't believe that Islam has to be the only religion and believes that they have the right to try other religions, associate with infidels, become an infidel and so on, really still a Muslim?
Of course not...hmm,that would mean....moderate Muslims believe such things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies