Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yet you have nothing to link to showing that this even occurred.
Nice try.
Undercover Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
blink. i'm a woman and i've been inside a mosque. more than once.

i noted the same thing as the op. there is a tremendous gap between the everyday average muslim and the fundamentalist fanatic terrorists shown on t.v.

the people were very nice to me despite my having breasts, and the only difference i noted in how i was treated was that the men couldn't shake my hand but they could greet me very politely (which they did).
That's no different from Orthodox Jews. The women worship separately and I've met Orthodox men via business who do not shake my hand. I don't take offense at that.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:50 PM

[quote=LuckyGem;15817519]It's a cult. If it was the religion of peace they wouldn't behead innocent people, stone women, make women wear a full body shroud in 160 degree weather, or have a culture of boy rape.

quote]

You are aware that saying stuff like this as if it is the norm for Muslims doesn't make it easy for anyone to take your words seriously, don't you?

There are more than half a million Muslims in New York City, yet I've never seen even one wearing a burqa here. Others have (I think in Brooklyn) but the women who you meet on a daily basis in business or whatever usually either wear a head scarf with normal clothing or nothing covering their heads at all.

I've seen exactly one woman ever wearing a burqa. She was at a supermarket in Atlantic City.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:51 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
In short, going to a mosque won't really tell you anything about Islam that they don't want you to know, unless you speak Arabic and they don't know it.
How do we know this is bull sh*t?

First off, there are about a billion Muslims in the world, and less than 200 million Arabic speakers. Hence... four out of every 5 Muslims do not even speak Arabic themselves.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
We know a big family in Pakistan, and they (the females) have to wait outside, while the men go in. It is not the same everywhere. The point is, is that Islam is a religion that their own "kind" are not even allowed into their place of worship.

Ding ding ding. You were on the right track then you veered off again into the land of propaganda.

Islam is a religion with practices that depend on the culture of the country (and subcultures within a country) in which it is practiced. There is absolutely no reason in this day and age to grasp so tightly onto ignorance about this.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-10-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I would tend to disagree with you there. Atheistic, Godless Communism is not a good thing. Such countries tend to be highly liberal, usually have a low value on life when it comes to the pre-born, euthanasia, etc.

As a whole--yes. They are more devout than most Americans are toward whatever religion they lean.

It was accomplished.

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Actually....allah did change his mind. Read some of muhammed's early writings...they're peaceful and good. He then became more of a warlord and allah got mad.

Again...I would disagree...but you have the right to be wrong about it.

Christianity does not in any way prescribe violence toward the infidel or sinner. There just isn't any support for it in the Bible. Not the case with islam. Whatever culture you want to look at.
Agree, but in practice, there was much violence done in the name of Christianity, often sanctioned by a government that was run by the church. Separation of church and state was a very good idea.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
not all muslims are arabs or even speak arabic. in fact, most of the muslim world itself doesn't speak arabic. the largest concentration of islam is in indonesia. there are also iranian, turkish, malaysian, russian, senegalese muslims, and muslims from many other countries, that don't speak a word of arabic. the example you show here isn't about islam but the intersection of religion, politics, culture, and language.
That is true but the example I referred to was from a mosque where instruction was in Arabic. In Islam Arabic is considerd the official language that the faith is supposed to be taought in. If the Qu'an is in any other language other than Arabic it is considered "a translation of the Qu'an" and not the Holy Qu'an. Of course Muslims seem to forget this point themsleves when someone threatens to burn a few copies.
In Indonesian Madrassas millions of non-Arabic speaking Indonesians memorize large sections of the Qu'an in Arabic, sometimes without even knowing what it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yet you have nothing to link to showing that this even occurred.
Nice try.

I already said I couldn't find it in a search. No need to add the dissmissive "nice try". The articel IS out there though (probably more than one). Seek and ye shall find. Or don't. I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Yeah, that wasn't the one but it is another good example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
How do we know this is bull sh*t?

First off, there are about a billion Muslims in the world, and less than 200 million Arabic speakers. Hence... four out of every 5 Muslims do not even speak Arabic themselves.
See comment above.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-12-2010 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-10-2010, 04:53 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
That is true but the example I referred to was from a mosque where instruction was in Arabic. In Islam Arabic is considerd the official language that the faith is supposed to be taought in. If the Qu'an is in any other language other than Arabic it is considered "a translation of the Qu'an" and not the Holy Qu'an. Of course Muslims seem to forget this point themsleves when someone threatens to burn a few copies.
In Indonesian Madrassas millions of non-Arabic speaking Indonesians memorize large sections of the Qu'an in Arabic, sometimes without even knowing what it means.
i know and i am not saying your example is invalid. i am just pointing out that it's not 'just' about islam. it's about islam, and a particular country, a particular culture, a particular language, all intersecting to create a subculture. it's not fair to imply that all mosques or all muslims would say one thing in arabic (or the local language) and another in english.

the fact that many indonesians and other non-arabic speaking countries memorize the qur'an without knowing what they're saying just goes to show how removed they are from it. it's the equivalent of catholics or orthodox christians memorizing certain phrases or prayers in latin or greek or or jews reciting the torah in hebrew that otherwise don't speak hebrew. although maybe used to recite prayer or quote holy text, latin/greek/arabic/hebrew are only used in isolated instances in those cases. arabic is only the language of discourse in a minority of muslim communities. even in arabic-speaking countries, fusha (classical arabic) is used for the qur'an and an 'amia (the national/regional dialect) is used for discourse.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 09-10-2010 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies