Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,031,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
The most inflammatory thing that Christians in the West have done is criticize Islam and maybe burn a book. The most inflammatory thing the Muslims have done is oh..I don't know...intentionally murder civilians and stuff.
The complete vacuum of historical knowledge reflected in that comment is breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 PM

52,329 posts, read 34,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Unless you're a liberal - then hurt feelings are political capital.
profound. and utterly true.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,182,828 times
Default The double standard of Islamic rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Because most American's could give a damn about hurting someone elses feelings. This is a positive trait to have. Unless you're a liberal - then hurt feelings are political capital. What better way to show you're a liberal then to forget that you're an American and coddle a religion with hurt feelings? Because that's exactly what's happening right now - the anti-religious Left are teaming up with Big Islam to condemn the Chrisitan faith once again. Funny how the mosque controversy draws out cries of "religious freedom" but we dont' hear these same clowns saying the same for these Christian zealots.

The transparency and hypocrisy is nauseating.
DAVE FOULK ON FACEBOOK:
Quote:
“Fifty member church in Florida gets international attention when it burns somebody else’s holy book. Five thousand member churches hold free clinics to everyone, food pantries, home fix-ups for free…. and never get a mention even in local news. It’s not so much that bad news travels fast, but good news rarely gets a ride.”

6,484 posts, read 6,599,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You don't think freedom of speech is a foundational part of the higher standard to which we hold ourselves? Do you really not think these things out before you push the submit button?

so we have free speech...but we can't use it?
Quote:
Nobody is saying he doesn't have the right to protest whatever he wants. Just as we have the right to protest his protest. None of that is the issue.
I got no issue with that. Protest away.
Quote:
The issue is that we actually do have double standards... or at least those of us with a moral compass do.

And how does burning the Qur'an advance that objective? Exactly?
He is exercising his freedom of speech.

Sadly, the fact that the islamists will get violent as a result speaks volumes.

1,719 posts, read 4,172,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists o Fury View Post
that's not the same as censorship. The book burners still have a right to burn the Koran, and they plan to do so. why are people so offended that Obama is asking them to practice restraint?
I'm not offended that Obama is asking for restraint. I am just saying that in Muslim societies you don't hear their leaders or the rank and file asking for restraint when they disrespect Christianity or the West. It shows the double standard and how they are allowed to get away with stuff that we aren't.

Quote:
I suppose tea party hero, Timothy McVeigh doesn't count as a Christian who intentionally murdered civilians
I have never heard of any member of the Tea Party (no matter how stupid they may be) praise Timothy McVeigh and his murderous action. And, McVeigh's action was against his own citizens and country. Imagine if he had done that in Mecca? We would have never heard the end of it from the Muslims.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,031,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
so we have free speech...but we can't use it?
Who are you arguing with here? It is certainly not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
He is exercising his freedom of speech.
Certainly, you don't pretend that was an answer to the question. So let me try again.

Your comment was that, "These islamofascists need to stop taking offense every time someone looks at them cross-eyed."

My question was, "And how does burning the Qur'an advance that objective? Exactly?"

You want to give it another shot?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM

16 posts, read 9,645 times
Quote:
I'm not offended that Obama is asking for restraint. I am just saying that in Muslim societies you don't hear their leaders or the rank and file asking for restraint when they disrespect Christianity or the West. It shows the double standard and how they are allowed to get away with stuff that we aren't.
What exactly are they allowed to get away with that we are not? I always thought that we had more rights than any citizens of a theocratic Muslim nation.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The complete vacuum of historical knowledge reflected in that comment is breathtaking.
Oh please...I'm quite well aware of the history of the Middle East; the creation of Israel, U.S. support of (and flirting with) dictatorships (the Shah, Saddam, the Saudies, etc..) and the various little tiffs between the disparate ethnic and religious groups there. Yes, the Muslims have gotten the shaft in the past (and the present) at times, but why are they militantly allowed to defend their religion against any perceived slight while Westerners are not?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
What exactly are they allowed to get away with that we are not? I always thought that we had more rights than any citizens of a theocratic Muslim nation.
They are allowed to express rage and nobody bats an eyelash. If Americans do the same they are castigated (not legally...but in the press and such). Imagine what would happen if a massive rally were underway in D.C. where thousands of Americans screamed, "Death to Islam". How would the Muslims react? So, they are allowed to express disdain for us, but not the other way around?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,182,828 times
Quote:
They are allowed to express rage and nobody bats an eyelash. If Americans do the same they are castigated (not legally...but in the press and such). Imagine what would happen if a massive rally were underway in D.C. where thousands of Americans screamed, "Death to Islam". How would the Muslims react? So, they are allowed to express disdain for us, but not the other way around?
Well, you've got to admit, Code Pink and Cindy Sheehan didn't give white women much credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies