Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM

16 posts, read 9,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
They are allowed to express rage and nobody bats an eyelash. If Americans do the same they are castigated (not legally...but in the press and such). Imagine what would happen if a massive rally were underway in D.C. where thousands of Americans screamed, "Death to Islam". How would the Muslims react? So, they are allowed to express disdain for us, but not the other way around?
Castigated does not mean you are not allowed to voice your opinion. I can criticize you for burning the Koran, doesn't change the fact taht you still have the right. Americans have the same if not more rights than people living in a Muslim theocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists o Fury View Post
Castigated does not mean you are not allowed to voice your opinion. I can criticize you for burning the Koran, doesn't change the fact taht you still have the right. Americans have the same if not more rights than people living in a Muslim theocracy.
Of course we have more rights. But, you are not getting my main point. I am not talking about laws; I am talking about stuff that happens in society and in the press. Why are Muslims given a pass when they engage in rage, but the slightest provocation by a Westerner causes Muslims to engage in death threats and extremist rallies? Why are they allowed to be more militant in the defense of their religion and identities than we are?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Oh please...I'm quite well aware of the history of the Middle East; the creation of Israel, U.S. support of (and flirting with) dictatorships (the Shah, Saddam, the Saudies, etc..) and the various little tiffs between the disparate ethnic and religious groups there. Yes, the Muslims have gotten the shaft in the past (and the present) at times, but why are they militantly allowed to defend their religion against any perceived slight while Westerners are not?
You seem to be suffering from some bizarre fantasy that there is a single authority somewhere who is "allowing" them to do one thing and "allowing" us to do something different.

No. Nobody is "allowing" anything.

They behave one way, and we behave in a different way. This is because we actually do have different standards.

If you do not like the way they behave, I simply find it strange that you think the proper response it to become exactly like them.

Hey... but that's just me thinking out loud.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You
They behave one way, and we behave in a different way. This is because we actually do have different standards.

If you do not like the way they behave, I simply find it strange that you think the proper response it to become exactly like them.
And why do they behave that way? Why do we have different standards?

16 posts, read 9,684 times
Quote:
Of course we have more rights. But, you are not getting my main point. I am not talking about laws; I am talking about stuff that happens in society and in the press. Why are Muslims given a pass when they engage in rage, but the slightest provocation by a Westerner causes Muslims to engage in death threats and extremist rallies? Why are they allowed to be more militant in the defense of their religion and identities than we are?
Who is allowing them to be more militant? Muslim clerics? They are allowed to behave in this manner because they live under a theocracy, we on the other hand have separation of church and state, thank god!!

Quote:
Why are Muslims given a pass when they engage in rage, but the slightest provocation by a Westerner causes Muslims to engage in death threats and extremist rallies? Why are they allowed to be more militant in the defense of their religion and identities than we are?
Who is doing all this magical "allowing" of which you speak?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
And why do they behave that way? Why do we have different standards?
You are talking in a circle now. Did we not just get finished acknowledging history?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Speaking of double standards,,,I just heard that the Associated Press announced that they will not publish any images (stills or video) of the pastor's burning. They will cover it in text only, with no descriptions of the actual burning of the books.

Interesting that it's an AP picture of the flag burning.

Also interesting that they didn't feel the same restraint was needed in the case of the pictures published of Abu gharib. (Just in case the argument is made for the 'safety of the troops').

Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Speaking of double standards,,,I just heard that the Associated Press announced that they will not publish any images (stills or video) of the pastor's burning. They will cover it in text only, with no descriptions of the actual burning of the books.
No idea of what your source on this is, but I do note that General Petraeus did make that request.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You are talking in a circle now. Did we not just get finished acknowledging history?
I am trying to illustrate how backwards and excessively militant they are. I'm not talking in circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies