Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I flew out of LaGuardia at 0800 that morning. I have thought so many times that it could have been my flight that they took out. Landed in MD just about the time the first plane went in. I remember being down in the crew room and the TV was on. Several pilots and FAs were watching..in disbelief.

Turned out, one of the pilots I flew with had a wife killed on one of the flights that day. She was a FA who was attacked by one of the terrorists. It was such a hideous day, almost beyond belief.

Pray it never happens again to anyone. RIP to all who died.

Someone who came to work with us a few years ago was formerly with United Airlines. A friend of hers is the guy who closed the door on UA 93 before it took off from EWR. She said the memory of that haunts him, as if he closed a coffin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a good story. High five to the girl who punched the woman in the mouth, lol. Ahem--not that I condone violence or anything...

That girl is a NewYorican from the South Bronx, normally just as calm and patient as can be, but that old bat just sent her over the edge.
We all wanted to punch her, to tell the truth.

Reminded me of something--one of the women who worked in my office was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge to get home with thousands of other dazed souls trying to get out of Manhattan. When she got to the other side, this bag lady with a shopping cart asked her, "What's going on? Why are all these people walking over the bridge?" Sue replied that the World Trade Center had just been attacked by terrorists and destroyed. The bag lady said, "And so that has to affect BROOKLYN?"
Amazing that some folks were so insular right afterward.
Thanks for sharing the bag lady story.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
I was at work on Capitol Hill. A co-worker was listening to the radio and heard about the first plane going in. We all started to check online, and call family members, etc., etc. I remember that there was speculation that it was just a terrible accident, and not a deliberate act.

The second plane hit, and people began to get a little panicked - it was clear that this was not an accident. It was the not knowing that seemed to get to us - little or no real information, and certainly no answers to questions like who, or why ... or is that all?

Then, a little more than an hour later, we heard that the Pentagon had been hit.

I had driven the carpool that morning. I called everyone, and told them to meet me at the car as soon as they could. As I was talking to the last person, I could hear members of our security force yelling for everyone to evacuate the building.

Our commute usually took us right by the Pentagon. That day, assuming the 14th Street Bridge would be closed (or jammed with traffic), I drove to Maryland and got on the Beltway to get to Virginia and home.

The next morning, we went back to work, taking our usual route, and drove past the Pentagon. It's something I'll forget even if I wanted to, so clear is my memory of the road, the traffic, and the smoke still coming from the Pentagon and drifting over the road like a terrible fog.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
^ that is quite creepy!(post to mightyQueen) As for me I was home watching the TODAY show as usual and being from the NYC area when I saw the video of that gaping hole I knew that was no accident! Then came the second plane and I knew it was terrorism. My first emotion was shock, then disbelief, then fear and at the end of the day it just became anger. It was one of those days that will be etched in time for me.
What saddens me most about 9/11 is how together we as a country came together and how that has disappeared.
You weren't black or hispanic or white or Jewish or Catholic or gay or straight or a Democrat or Republican on 9/11....We were just Americans.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ that is quite creepy! As for me I was home watching the TODAY show as usual and being from the NYC area when I saw the video of that gaping hole I knew that was no accident! Then came the second plane and I knew it was terrorism. My first emotion was shock, then disbelief, then fear and at the end of the day it just became anger. It was one of those days that will be etched in time for me.
What saddens me most about 9/11 is how together we as a country came together and how that has disappeared.
You weren't black or hispanic or white or Jewish or Catholic or gay or straight or a Democrat or Republican on 9/11....We were just Americans.
And we were ALL New Yorkers on that dreadful day.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I flew out of LaGuardia at 0800 that morning. I have thought so many times that it could have been my flight that they took out. Landed in MD just about the time the first plane went in. I remember being down in the crew room and the TV was on. Several pilots and FAs were watching..in disbelief.

Turned out, one of the pilots I flew with had a wife killed on one of the flights that day. She was a FA who was attacked by one of the terrorists. It was such a hideous day, almost beyond belief.

Pray it never happens again to anyone. RIP to all who died.
Glad you are OK, sorry that happened to you guys. Man, I feel for everybody on that day, and I feel for that pilot. They were brave though, a lot of people on that day.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I'm very glad that I'm still able to work on the machines which fly. I hope that they'll never again be used for a weapon.
Exactly, I was thinking that the other day.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Working Chicago's LOOP when the planes hit. I was in a skyscraper that was evacuated (like much of the LOOP). Our company had offices in New York and we had contacts and colleagues who died (however, I did not know any of them personally). I hope to never be part of such an evacuation again.
WOW!

Where was I? I was a in my second period class at high school. It happened shortly into my Freshman year. We heard about it on the intercom.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:27 AM

378 posts, read 246,003 times
i was home sick from school watching a rerun of “On Scene: Emergency Response” on CBS Eye On People the episode was about an auto accident a premature birth; a boat trapped in a storm off Alaska i was also watching my other tv watching ABC when ABC mentioned a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center i ignored it at first while watching "On Scene" but very quickly i realized it might be something bigger but i kept watching "On Scene" but when the second plane hit i said to myself "That is not a accident it is deliberate somehow" ironically that episode was the Shulman episode i was watching i had seen it before on new years eve of 97 and in the summer of 98 by the way CBS Eye On People was one of the few(if not the only) channels(the other was Game Show Network was the other) to stay with regular programming during 9/11 that same night i went out to eat and the eating place we were at was not as full as normal also i watched "On Scene" to get away from the news coverage because i was sick and there were two channel that didn't have news on: CBS Eye On People and Game Show Network

Old 05-14-2015, 02:48 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,001 times
I just returned from NYC this week. Visited the 9/11 Memorial. I had been there in 2002 when all there was was a hole in the ground. It's beautiful now, the physical space, with reflecting pools and soaring towers. The tour was a grueling 2 and a half hours and I saw many people overwhelmed as if it had just happened, and there were names with flowers on them outside at the pools. I'm glad they are not forgotten.

As the tour ends you get information about the hijackers. They were not left out.

As for the actual day, I was just finished with my first period class and beginning my planning period. Everyone in the hall came to look at my tv. Surreal. We had a hard time trying to figure out what to tell the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies