Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:45 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
sweetie ... no matter who was president ... we would have united behind them. making it sound like we rallied because it was Wonderboy in office is kinda ... well ...
No kidding, Sherlock. LOL, doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Good post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 05:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
no kidding! If Al Gore would have been in the oval office ... hmmmmm ... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that none of our American soldiers would have been killed in Iraq and the focus would have been entirely on GETTING OSAMA BIN LADEN, oh and I doubt that Al Gore would have said "I really don't think about where he is all that much" ... hmmmmmm.
That would be quite the imaginary limb since Clinton failed to give the order to take Bin-Laden when he was in the crosshairs, literally. You think that Al Gore would have acted differently when he showed even more diisdain for our military than did Clinton? Really?

Old 09-11-2010, 05:59 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Why is it ironic that Mineta was in an interment camp following the attack on Pearl Harbor. I suspect you never knew anyone personally who was in an internment camp did you? Hollywood would have you think all Japanese-American citizens were bitter toward their country because of their experience.
Who said anything about bitterness?

One of my favorite college professors (Dr. Kiyoshi) was in a camp as a boy.

Later he served in the U.S. Naval Reserve (I suppose 'cause he hated America so much).

I think that a man who had the responsibility of shutting down U.S. airspace during an air raid spent a part of his childhood in an internment camp because men of his ethnicity conducted the only other air raid on American soil is a bit ironic.

Kinda makes you think...

Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Are you serious Gore would have apologized to the muslims for provoking an attack before he would have retaliated. He would have said something like -- how the jet fuel burned hotter because of global warming.
Its fine, everyone has their opinion, and we can't know for sure what Gore would have done. But... the country did unite behind Bush, and Bush's approval; rating shot WAAY up in the weeks and months after 9-11.
How's Al Gore doing these days? I think I saw him with Monica Lewinsky.
the bush family is more "in bed" with the saudis than gore ever was. Or haven't you ever heard about all of the saudis who were flown out by our gov't shortly after 9-11? I think that it's safe to say that Gore would have kept up the hunt for bin laden and kept us out of the boondoggle iraq war.

I agree with domergurl in that we would have rallied behind ANYBODY (even Bozo the clown) that was in the Presidency at that time. Try to remember that brief week or so when we ALL felt like Americans, not gay, not hyphenated, not conservative nor liberal. One of the most moving things that I remembered reading was reading an article written by a 9-11 survivor who wrote that there were no black or white people coming out of the Towers, but that everyone was "grey", the color of the sooty material that completely covered everyone's body on that day.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
I'm clearly not a fan of his, but he handled 9/11 as perfectly as possible and for that he deserves kudos.

Sad that this thread had to devolve into a political argument. Is it gonna take another 9/11 to unite us and end the quarreling?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times
The military stands indivisible in the sense that they do their job regardless of political opinion. Usually. They go to combat regardless of whether they feel it is a "just war"

Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I . Is it gonna take another 9/11 to unite us and end the quarreling?
Good question.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Not surprising considering how much of the media was/is anti-Bush.
Pres. Truman also had low ratings (at times)... you can't judge a president by approval ratings.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:36 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
[LEFT]Pres. Truman also had low ratings (at times)... you can't judge a president by approval ratings.
[/LEFT]
I agree...you can't judge Obama by approval ratings.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
Under "God" was added as an Anti-Communist ploy during the McCarthy era. Once again, the US goes after a group they simply disagree with.
You really need to leave this country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies