Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Zero. The government provides no goods or services that I find useful or need, so I don't see a reason to pay for things I have no use for.
Do you drive on highways or freeways?

When you drive in cities, do you like it when there are working traffic lights?

When you need medical help, do you call an ambulance?

When you're the victim of a crime, do you call the police?

When your house is burning, do you call the fire department?

When a major emergency happens in your area, do you wish for trained personnel to respond and help provide care and restore order?

When the nation is attacked, do you expect to be defended by a well-equipped military?

When you take prescription drugs or buy foods at grocery stores, are you interested in there being any standards of accountability and safety that the producers must abide by?

My guess is that unless you live under a rock or want to play dishonest games on here, you'd answer "yes" to at least some of these questions.

All of these require taxes paid at some combination of local, state, and federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
So you're cool with being conquered by a foreign power? That's hard to believe.

I don't want to be conquered.

do not want - Google Search
Our military doesn't act in our defense. 9/11 still happened.

If someone were to amass an invasion force, there'd be too many people out there whining about "posse comitatus" for our military to take effective action.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's the very percent I was thinking as I opened this thread.
10% seems very fair to me.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
I don't know how someone could say they would pay nothing, that just boggles the mind. And you do understand that taxes are historically low compared to other developed areas of the world (i.e. Europe).

Over 3-5 million, tax the hell out of people. They can afford it.

Middle class: If the government could spend my money wisely, 30%-40% isn't unreasonable.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
20%-30%

Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I don't know how someone could say they would pay nothing, that just boggles the mind. And you do understand that taxes are historically low compared to other developed areas of the world (i.e. Europe).

Over 3-5 million, tax the hell out of people. They can afford it.

Middle class: If the government could spend my money wisely, 30%-40% isn't unreasonable.

What does "being able to afford it" have to do with one's tax rate.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,478,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
By that time, you'd figure out the concept of compounding passive income exponentially.

You do know the difference between passive and linear income, do you?

Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If someone makes $5,000,000 + a year, I assume they can put a bit more money into the tax pool than the general middle class. 'Assuming" being the key word here.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
If someone makes $5,000,000 + a year, I assume they can put a bit more money into the tax pool than the general middle class. 'Assuming" being the key word here.
Sure, they can, but that doesn't create a good justification for the government to take their money.

Do you believe it's okay to steal from the rich, simply because they can afford to lose the money?

Old 09-12-2010, 07:51 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
You don't drive on interstate highways?
Those have already been paid for. The big road expansion of the 1950s was financed almost exclusively by municipal and state bonds (paid off by the taxpayers with interest). that have been paid off since at least the 1970s.

Plus, there are still stiff tolls in many states (NH, FL) that continue to generate huge revenues for government--far in excess of the cost of maintaining the roads. In fact, if you travel much, you'll note that the most expensive roads (like the Florida Turnpike) are in dismal disrepair, since they are used as cash cows for other government spending.

The NH State government is now investigating selling some public roads to a private company, which will then place tolls on them to collect money for eternity. NH will spend those tens of millions of dollars and go looking for more. Clever, huh? NH's Democratic leadership has been on a multi-year taxing and spending spree, but for the life of me I can't figure out where all the money is going. Not for services or programs that help the average citizen, I can tell you that much.

I don't mind paying for public infrastructure once. What I do mind is government's insatiable appetite for taxing and spending, which has resulted in unimaginable debts at the Federal, State and Local Government levels, and nothing to show for it except an army of public employees who seek to license, permit, fee and control any activity any American might want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies