Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times

Advertisements

Walt Disney - imagineer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Walt Disney - imagineer
Well there you have it, I rest my case.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
In America intellectuals have been considered to be bad or dubious for at least 150 years. Mostly this attitude came from the South while they were still trying to justify slavery, and by rapacious corporations discrediting thinkers who saw the evil of their ways.

Sheesh, I say this as if it were past-tense.

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them."
— George Orwell

Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
That would be from 1940 to the present. Who are the American intellectuals that are well known?
Carl Sagan

Albert Einstein

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

William F. Buckley

Ayn Rand

Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well there you have it, I rest my case.
lol, well, there is quite a lot of intellectual property in Walt Disney Co.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I'd have to say I regard Feynman as an intelligent person over an intellectual person.

Intellectuals ask alota rhetorical questions - Feynman's were always real.

He was an intellectual lockpick and safecracker - because he was smart.

He was the opposite of Carl Sagan, a mere quintessential intellectual.

Many consider John Bardeen as the best American Physicist of the post war era. Bardeen was a midwestern farm boy who was both a great experimentalist and a great theorist. He was awarded the Nobel Prize twice in Physics. Once for the inventing the transistor (with Shockley and Brittain) and ushering in the world of solid state elecronics. The second award was for the quantum theory of superconductivity which is called the BCS theory after Bardeen, Cooper and Schrieffer. Bardeen was a nice quiet person who let his work do the talking.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Interesting opinion. You're right. A list of intellectuals is about the shortest list any American could think of. Explains why I started this thread.
I don't think Einstein ever received a US citizenship. I was interested in American intellectuals only.

Einstein became a naturalized US citizen and considered it one of proudest accomplishments in his life. Life magazine printed a picture of him standing with other people with hand raised taking his oath of citizenship.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Many consider John Bardeen as the best American Physicist of the post war era.
And in accordance with the threads original question... how many Americans would you suppose recognize the name of John Bardeen?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Puleeze!

Einstein was intelligent. He would have little to do with intellectuals.

Einstein spent his whole life with intellectuals and spent his last decade of life at the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton University.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And in accordance with the threads original question... how many Americans would you suppose recognize the name of John Bardeen?

I will agree that virtually no one would know a John Bardeen because what passes for intellectual discussion in this nation today are the utterances of the judging panel on "American Idol" or the latest tone from Lady Gaga. In the sciences there are very few who are actively involved in the discussion. The membership in the American Physical Society (APS) numbers only 57,000 out of a nation of 310,000,000 or about about 1 in 6000. In subfields like High Energy Physics the total number of people who earn a living doing this number about 2,000. The same is true for astronomy which has 1,800 full time participants. So America's future if it depends on science and technology at all depends on a frighteningly small number of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies