Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
AI argues that international pressure on Yemen intensified after 25 December 2009 when a Nigerian man, said to have been trained by Al-Qaeda in Yemen, apparently tried to blow up a US airliner bound for Detroit. The US government quickly expanded military and intelligence co-operation with the Yemeni authorities, and in early 2010 announced a USD 155 million security package for Yemen, with around USD 35 million earmarked for the country’s Special Operations Forces to carry out counter-terrorism operations.
Amnesty International concerned with human rights deterioration in Yemen (http://www.yementimes.com/defaultdet.aspx?SUB_ID=34727 - broken link)

Quote:
Is the Yemeni government selling Yemeni blood for U.S. dollars?
Does the current regime believe that the only way they can stay in power is if chaos continues in the country? Are they selling the future of Yemen for the future of a family? I really hope I am wrong this time.
Fighting Al-Qaeda: Yemen

The above is an editorial.

Quote:
The Nigerian man, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, accused of trying to blow up a U.S. plane with a bomb in his underwear, fires lawyers that were appointed by the court saying that the lawyers were not protecting his interests and asked a judge to let him represent himself.

During a brief court hearing, he told the U.S. District Judge, "I don't feel any representation I get would suit, would represent me in a way that would be in my best interests."

The judge asked him not to fire his lawyers but then agreed that she would appoint another lawyer to act as as consultants to him and answer questions about his plea. She also set Oct. 14 as the date for another conference to determine when the case might go to trial. Abdulmutallab then asked the judge: "When I represent myself, if I want to plead guilty to some counts, basically how would that go?"
Nigeria News ->Articles, Commentary, Personalities#

The update is above.

Quote:
Yemen plans to offer next month the rights to develop 15 offshore hydrocarbon blocks as part of Yemen’s plan to increase oil production, Oil Minister Amir al-Aidarous said last Saturday.

“Expanding explorations is one of the main concerns of the government,” al-Aidarous said Yemen will offer the blocks to international companies during a two-day conference in Sana’a in October, he said.
Yemen to offer 15 blocks for exploration in October

And just when you thought the coast was clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies