U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,553,575 times
Reputation: 873

Advertisements

This is a critically bad economic situation. All the politicians in Washington are wrecking this country because they are simply incompetent. They do not understand basic economics. And it starts with Clinton, through Bush and now Obama and company.

Real unemployment rate higher than federal figures - MSN Money - New Investor Center

But, the people continue to vote for their special interest single issues, or their political leanings (left and right, which are equally demented).

We need to invest in long term assets - factories, practical transportation, relevant education (math, language and science, not bullcrap courses for social re-programming).

And we need immigrants with skills, not needs.

Businesses and people are holding onto their money (that is why interest rates are near 0%) because they lack faith in the future of this country. And that is simply the fact.

They have no faith at all in this government. The only ones investing are the ones being bribed by the government with deals that are so favorable that they cannot walk away from them.

But overall, most of the real money people (and businesses) are holding on to their cash...even taking rates of 1%/year.

The most dangerous thing is that so many businesses are international now, that they can easily (legally and rightfully) keep their capital overseas in safer environments. And that can be dooming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 11,807,057 times
Reputation: 4522
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
This is a critically bad economic situation. All the politicians in Washington are wrecking this country because they are simply incompetent. They do not understand basic economics. And it starts with Clinton, through Bush and now Obama and company.

Real unemployment rate higher than federal figures - MSN Money - New Investor Center

But, the people continue to vote for their special interest single issues, or their political leanings (left and right, which are equally demented).

We need to invest in long term assets - factories, practical transportation, relevant education (math, language and science, not bullcrap courses for social re-programming).

And we need immigrants with skills, not needs.

Businesses and people are holding onto their money (that is why interest rates are near 0%) because they lack faith in the future of this country. And that is simply the fact.

They have no faith at all in this government. The only ones investing are the ones being bribed by the government with deals that are so favorable that they cannot walk away from them.

But overall, most of the real money people (and businesses) are holding on to their cash...even taking rates of 1%/year.

The most dangerous thing is that so many businesses are international now, that they can easily (legally and rightfully) keep their capital overseas in safer environments. And that can be dooming.
If you knew anything you would know that the GOP insisted that the stimulus include less effective tax cuts over infrastructure spending.

Even now they are opposing new infrastructure spending.

We only have two choices....between a bad party and a really really bad party.

This ignorant myth that both sides are equally wrong is a bunch of B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 33,205,424 times
Reputation: 12668
It is Obama's goal to destroy this country's economy so that Socialism can take root. Get used to the fact that this is being done intentionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,105 posts, read 63,915,604 times
Reputation: 27411
Bull..the real unemployment rate is hovering around 22%.

Alternate Unemployment Charts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,553,575 times
Reputation: 873
Default It's not all that simple though is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
If you knew anything you would know that the GOP insisted that the stimulus include less effective tax cuts over infrastructure spending.

Even now they are opposing new infrastructure spending.

We only have two choices....between a bad party and a really really bad party.

This ignorant myth that both sides are equally wrong is a bunch of B.S.
It's just that...What the GOP is now opposing?...I'd have to say we are in a much more complex situation...through the fault of both parties.

These are career politicians (both parties) that rely on their business friends or academics that have their idealogical leanings...Not a good course for long term economic well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 11,807,057 times
Reputation: 4522
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bull..the real unemployment rate is hovering around 22%.

Alternate Unemployment Charts
Could you link to your posts showing the "real" unemployment rate under Bush at 14%?

That would give you some credibility.

Otherwise your just yet another partisan taking a seldom used, arcane measure of unemployment to make the guy you don't like look bad.

Then when your side is a back in power you'll go back to the standard measure of unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,105 posts, read 63,915,604 times
Reputation: 27411
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Could you link to your posts showing the "real" unemployment rate under Bush at 14%?

That would give you some credibility.

Otherwise your just yet another partisan taking a seldom used, arcane measure of unemployment to make the guy you don't like look bad.
Been following this and using these very charts since 2007 when the economy blew up.
That chart has U6 going back..did you even look at that chart ?

No partisan here...that alternate data goes back to 1994.
The Fed has been modifying their model over the years for most government based data..UE, CPI, M3 has disappeared but shadowstats still shows it.

Shadowstats is no partisan; they just use the raw data produced by the reports and feed the data into the old model calculations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,553,575 times
Reputation: 873
Default It's in the article and the chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Could you link to your posts showing the "real" unemployment rate under Bush at 14%?

That would give you some credibility.

Otherwise your just yet another partisan taking a seldom used, arcane measure of unemployment to make the guy you don't like look bad.

Then when your side is a back in power you'll go back to the standard measure of unemployment.
This is not fair...I'm having an argument with HappyTexan on another forum, and now you have me defending them...

Anyway, if you look at the HappyTexans link, it has a chart going back a good number of years.

If you look at the article I linked, it also discusses pror years rates.

I do not know anything about the source for the alternate article that the HappyTexan linked...But, I would say the official rates of the government are bad enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 11,807,057 times
Reputation: 4522
Paul Krugman posted long before the Stimulus bill passed that it was too small, too loaded with ineffective tax cuts, and too little infrastructure spending.

Thanks to 100% GOP bloc voting allied with a handful of corporate owned Blue Dog democrats that's the only thing that could pass.

Now wimpy Obama has put up yet another half measure of tax cuts/spending that will do very little, hoping that the GOP will have pity on him and vote for the bill.

The ONLY faction that is sticking up for middle class Americans, the jobless, is the progressive wing of the Democratic party pushing for more infrastructure spending.

The Tea Party has no clue. Their members don't have the IQ to know what is and isn't good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,105 posts, read 63,915,604 times
Reputation: 27411
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post

I do not know anything about the source for the alternate article that the HappyTexan linked...But, I would say the official rates of the government are bad enough.
A bit of background on shadowstats:

ShadowStats :Independent Research Partners
"The website is built on the simple premise that the US Government can and has changed the parameters for certain politically sensitive statistics over the years. By going back and using the old or alternative definitions for inflation, unemployment and the like, John Williams is able to demonstrate how publicly released statistics can vary significantly from reality."

And another article on shadowstats reliability:
Calculating CPI Changes -- Seeking Alpha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top