Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 PM

344 posts, read 199,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The people you named are candidates, not in office, they have no power.

The Tea Party is inconsequential, the lefties remind us of that in at least 3 new threads each day.

Progressive Democrats have had control of the Congress for just shy of 4 years. Now that they have both Congressional and Executive Branch control that would make this government well LEFT of center.

Your post = FAIL
I will try to explain.

The candidates won the primary. The primaries determine who will run in the general election. Therefore, it's a reflection of where the right is headed. The Tea Party is a reflection of a growing segment of society.

Why didn't the public option pass? Why did the Dems make concession after concession for financial reform? It's because the Republicans have made it clear that they are the party of no. They made it clear that the Dems will have to cater to the Republicans if they want support. We see a growing contingent of blue dogs and a general right of center stance in order to pass legislation.

You're not taking into consideration the nuances of the current state of affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Sigh...immigration is per 100,000....

As to South Africa,ummm HELLO,those other languages were ALREADY spoken there by sizeable portions of the population.

It was a very simple question you have found incapable of answering,it would seem because it would put your position in regards to assimilating to the USA in a poor light.

But so be it.

Spanish wasn't here? Umm...Some of those languages weren't there as long as Spanish in the US (notably Xhosa, because migration from the Cape towards the Orange Free State, it's only been a national language from about 1811).

Also, the fact that you pus immigration is per 100,000 doesn't begin to address what I mentioned...they already spoke Portuguese.

Wow, so you make a claim concerning demographics of Portugal (without knowing a thing about the country), now you're putting claims that I never made.

So be it.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Still you cannot bring yourself to answer a question...LOL

If you were an immigrant,would you expect all documentation to be in English for you?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Still you cannot bring yourself to answer a question...LOL

If you were an immigrant,would you expect all documentation to be in English for you?
It's a stupid question. It depends where I am, at what capacity, the history of Anglophones in the region, etc. I also liked how you glossed over your own shortcomings on your examples. I typically don't give people this much time when they're that lazy/ignorant in their own examples.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 PM

Not to mention you act as if they're actually expect the documents to be in their language. It makes things easier for the government to have documents printed in other languages.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
News flash, Muslims are allowed to pray in school. They even have special accommodations set up. However, let a Christian pray in school and then there will be a problem.

The forced prayer, depends on a person's perspective.
That is not correct. A Christian can pray at school. There is just no classroom led prayer.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
It's a stupid question. It depends where I am, at what capacity, the history of Anglophones in the region, etc. I also liked how you glossed over your own shortcomings on your examples. I typically don't give people this much time when they're that lazy/ignorant in their own examples.
LOL...you must be a politician....

Or simply realise you have no way out.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
Here in New Mexico, they were speaking Spanish for hundreds of years, before the first English-speaker even arrived.
Even today, Spanish is the primary language in thousands of homes.
These families have been citizens of New Mexico for hundreds of years, citizens of the United States since the late 1840's.
I would NOT insult them by insisting on an official language.
Just like I WOULD find it insulting, to insist on an official religion!

Steve

Old 09-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Here in New Mexico, they were speaking Spanish for hundreds of years, before the first English-speaker even arrived.
Even today, Spanish is the primary language in thousands of homes.
These families have been citizens of New Mexico for hundreds of years, citizens of the United States since the late 1840's.
I would NOT insult them by insisting on an official language.
Just like I WOULD find it insulting, to insist on an official religion!

Steve
Interesting that Spanish is the Official language in Mexico,where quite a few other languages were there BEFORE the Spaniards arrived.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
What amazes me about these right-wing, talk-radiot, freaks is that they really believe this stuff. They will literally believe they need to crusade to save the children of America from the evils of masterbation and yet they will support George Bush invading Iraq at the cost of thousands and American lives, and tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi lives when any reasonable thinking adult would seriousely doubt, at best, the reasons given for invading. Chances are anyway, if you dig up the dirt on the circle of people sitting there, 1 probably became a prostitute, the guy probably is a closet homo, and the other girl probably got pregnant by some guy at the church while she was married...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies