Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times

Advertisements

It's their money to spend as they please.

[shrug]

Old 09-17-2010, 12:41 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Many of those they criticize probably never bought a $200 shirt.

If someone wants a $200 shirt, I would usually say it's his own business.
I'm not constantly being photographed in public like Mrs. Obama. Even so, I typically pay between $95 to $125 for a dress shirt. That's what a well made shirt costs these days. I don't think $200 for a woman's blouse is out of line. After all, she's the First Lady and wife of the President of the United States. Do you expect her to meet the Queen of England in some nasty sweats from Walmart?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:52 AM

527 posts, read 467,592 times
Quote:
I wouldn't make this post at all, except that Michelle and Barack have made a lot of noise about the greed of bankers, business owners, etc. Many of those they criticize probably never bought a $200 shirt. Then Michelle shows up in one to paint a building. Am I alone in thinking this smacks of hypocrisy?

If someone wants a $200 shirt, I would usually say it's his own business. But again, when she and OB charge others with greed, what kind of message is this?
I dont understand why Michelle Obama is so picked on- Nancy Reagan was far more outlandish in her extravagance than Michelle Obama-

To say that the Obamas are being hypocritical in spending their wealth that they earned in their professions is not comparable to the greed of corporations and banks,etc.- It is like calling someone that has pointed out a bad driver a hypocrite because they also drive-

Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I wish Rosalynn Carter would have a talk with her. At least the Carters pretended to feel our pain when they had the White House.
I'm sorry that you aren't doing well but the rest of us should not (and will not) have to come down to your level.

This whole "bashing" has less to do with how much Michelle Obama has spent on her wardrobe and much more about "certain types of people " telling the First Lady of the United States of America (who just so happens to be a woman of color) that she needs to know her "place". I think that she knows her "place" and it is in the White House with her husband, the President of the United States, Barack Obama and their family.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There really is nothing wrong with how she is dressing herself, you just WANT there to be so you can mock "Meechelle" and think yourself clever..
How's that right shoe fitting on that left foot?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
I can't stand the Obamas, but I could care less about this. I just bought a $150 shirt two days ago, so you won't see me judging her on this one.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I can't stand the Obamas, but I could care less about this. I just bought a $150 shirt two days ago, so you won't see me judging her on this one.
ditto for me - she lost me when she made that "proud to be American for the first time in my life" comment. But $200 for a shirt is nothing to write home about.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
I wouldn't make this post at all, except that Michelle and Barack have made a lot of noise about the greed of bankers, business owners, etc. Many of those they criticize probably never bought a $200 shirt. Then Michelle shows up in one to paint a building. Am I alone in thinking this smacks of hypocrisy?

If someone wants a $200 shirt, I would usually say it's his own business. But again, when she and OB charge others with greed, what kind of message is this?
It does add to the impression that the 0bama's are so wealthy and out of touch with middle America, that Michelle's idea of a throw-away, rag of a shirt to go painting in, was the equivalent of a weeks take-home pay for many people.

This might explain why she saw no problem slumming it it up in Spain, because she prob thought was doing her part in sacrificing, by not going to more extravagant locations.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
ditto for me - she lost me when she made that "proud to be American for the first time in my life" comment. But $200 for a shirt is nothing to write home about.
I'll bet that was your "nice shirt," and was not viewed by you as a rag, that you would risk having to toss out because someone might splatter paint all over it.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 638 times
people do tend to pay too much attention to what the first lady wears and strangely enough, none of her clothes look like they're over 200 bucks to me- isn't expensive stuff supposed to at least be cute- inexpensive stuff can be cute too-but let's face it- some of her clothes are hideous. Look at it this way- lawyers can afford expensive clothes and what is ahe supposed to do, throw away the clothes she purchased b4 her hubby became president? ok maybe if they're that ugly but people trip off my big designer bag- not realizing that I got it for 5 bucks in the hood. [the issue here is not whether it was hot or cold, or left in a house for sale, with other undesirables, ok] but-you never know if someone purchases something at a discount or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies