Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Fox news at it again If someone was that desperate to rob you, they will be armed, much more than you are. By the time you try to make a step towards your weapon, the looters would have killed you 20 times over.
These propaganda "They're coming to get me!" crap is ridiculous.
You are making wild assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
You can never train "boys will be boys" out of your kids. I'm a huge advocate of armed households, but hes right .... best to keep things locked up until they can REALLY understand the consequences. Locked in a safe doesnt necessarily mean unaccessible.
Boys will be boys is not boys grabbing a loaded weapon and waving it around with disrespect. This is stupid parents who raise stupid children.

I grew up with guns, my friends did as well, and we never had the "boys will be boys" incident you claim. I have seen other kids though, raised by parents who taught them no respect for such be stupid with various weapons and the like. In fact, one of the "boys" I knew beat the living hell out of another kid for pointing even a bee bee gun at another.

We were taught respect for the guns and since we had used them and seen what they could do, we were never stupid like the suggestions you seem to make.

That doesn't mean there shouldn't be gun safety or securing the weapons, but the myth that children who are properly raised and taught respect for weapons will still end up being stupid with them is a just that, a myth used to scare people away from guns.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 AM

20 posts, read 12,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I never said I did. If you want a gun in your home, that's your prerogative--but there are other methods of protecting yourself. If you want a gun in my house, you are going to be beat half to death.

Who cares about going to your home or what is inside your home? Jesus, you're not that important or significant that everyone cares about whether or not you have a gun in your home.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:02 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
I defend my home, and have done so already in the past. But I didn't need a gun to do it. Just ability.
suuuure you did. I wonder how good your ability would do you if the intruder was armed?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Default A good reason to be armed in your own home.

Since the police were alerted to a hostage situation while the woman was in the bank, one would have to wonder why the LEOs were so glacially slow in responding, allowing the perps to rape, murder, and incinerate that unfortunate family.

BTW, it IS a good idea to be prepared for bad guy problems. Especially in the "safety" of your own home.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Quote:
Well, no, but I'd put money on my reflexes being faster than yours. In fact, I'd stake my life on it.
That may very well be, but you can say what you want on the internet without proof.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,918,341 times
The sad fact is , as the econemy crumbles ,so the crime rate climbs.
Being careless living in a society in relative safety for a while does lul some people into apathy concerning looking after them selves ( democrats). But the police cannot be there when the fellon arrives, and having no plan of action is a foolish as walking the woods bare foot.
The criminal looks for easy prey, are you easy prey?
Having a gun and training and a plan for the family is all a part of running a house hold.
Do your children know what to do in the event of an earth quake ,and you are not there to direct traffic? Practicing a plan of action gives something for every one to be on the same page .
what to do if, helped my family in many situations . One does not have to be paranoid, but prepared.
Boys and girls will get into things and want to discover what it is you are hiding from them. I wish we had air soft when I was teaching my kids about guns , the sting is not deadly , but it is a reminder of pain inflicted by a weapon. and that is a lesson you cannot teach with meir words.
Then when you go target practicing with fire arms, in a remote area, take a can of tomato juce and watch the expressions as it explodes under fire.
Most of all kids need to learn that there are conciquences, a price to pay for misbehavior and foolishness. They need to know that you are instructing them ,not just throwing your weight around because you abide by rules as well, that keep you alive.and breaking those rules can hurt the whole family as well. If I get a speeding ticket ,we will not be able to afoard to go to disney land.that money will be gone.Conciquences. If I play with anything irrisponsibly and cause danger or an accident there are conciquences that effect every one.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM

20 posts, read 12,829 times
Quote:
Well, no, but I'd put money on my reflexes being faster than yours. In fact, I'd stake my life on it.

Gasp! You don't happen to be this guy right?

YouTube - Hiko Seijuro - Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu

Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
You're probably right. None of us claim to have extra special super duper ninja jedi powers.

Special powers or not I still don't believe you can close a 25' gap at 1200fps.
I don't believe there's a 25' room in my house.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
So Tkramer, how do you propose a 110 pound woman defend herself against attack from a man who's built like a quarterback? With her "tools"?

By knowing about things like body mechanics and leverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies