U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:30 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,820,487 times

Advertisements

Just because I have always carried a tea bag in my wallet, I am still a thinking man. One of those thoughts that I have and disagree with the main stream TEA Party platform is the plank to limit terms.

I agree that ideally we need to elect and maintain a citizen based representative government. Career politicians need not apply! But, wait!!! I believe in freedom and the power of my one vote. Charles Rangel and Chris Dodd are perfect targets to "kick out the bums." However, the people from their districts wanted to keep them. That's what makes America the greatest.

Fellow TEA Party people, think twice before you support "Term Limits."

Signed,

Jimmy Carter
George H. W. Bush
Mike Castle
Lisa Murkowski
Elizabeth Dole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:55 AM

26,851 posts, read 11,264,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Just because I have always carried a tea bag in my wallet, I am still a thinking man. One of those thoughts that I have and disagree with the main stream TEA Party platform is the plank to limit terms.

I agree that ideally we need to elect and maintain a citizen based representative government. Career politicians need not apply! But, wait!!! I believe in freedom and the power of my one vote. Charles Rangel and Chris Dodd are perfect targets to "kick out the bums." However, the people from their districts wanted to keep them. That's what makes America the greatest.

Fellow TEA Party people, think twice before you support "Term Limits."

Signed,

Jimmy Carter
George H. W. Bush
Mike Castle
Lisa Murkowski
Elizabeth Dole
Agreed. I guess the theory behind term limits is okay but as you alluded to, term limits takes the power out of We The People.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,416,023 times
Default Term Limits

Good luck getting supermajorities of Representatives and Senators to hand a resolution (ie, a proposed amendment to the Constitution) to the States limiting their own terms.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM

948 posts, read 1,243,536 times
I also connect with the Tea Party but I agree with the OP. One of the foundation concepts of the Tea Party is to get our officials to listen to the people. It seams to me that term limits takes a way the right of the people to chose their leaders. If you can't vote for someone then the voice is obsolete.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:25 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,693,585 times
We already have term limits. They're called elections, but we're too lazy, too uninvolved or too disinterested to use the power we already have.

Term limits are nothing more than a shirking of our resonsibilities as citizens.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,274,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
We already have term limits. They're called elections, but we're too lazy, too uninvolved or too disinterested to use the power we already have.

Term limits are nothing more than a shirking of our resonsibilities as citizens.
I used to believe that util I took a good hard look at the major recipients of lobbying $$. The longer a representative is in office the more lobby $$ they attract and the voice leaves "we the people" and is shifted to "we the special interest groups".

Take a look at the sweet salary, benefit, and retirement packages our elected representatives vote themselves and that is an additional arguement for term limits, IMO.

Power absolutely corrupts.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,693,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I used to believe that util I took a good hard look at the major recipients of lobbying $$. The longer a representative is in office the more lobby $$ they attract and the voice leaves "we the people" and is shifted to "we the special interest groups".

Take a look at the sweet salary, benefit, and retirement packages our elected representatives vote themselves and that is an additional arguement for term limits, IMO.

In the first place, those lobbyist's and their dollars don't follow you into the voting booth. Once you go in there, and pull the curtain behind you, you're free to vote your conscience, free from any external influences and free from control. Blaming the results of our elections on lobbyist's and money is just an excuse for failing to practice due diligence when casting your vote.

In the second place, if you think our elected representatives are corrupt now, check out what happens in those states which already have term limits. Once a politician comes up against his limit, and knows that he won't have to face the voters again, in far too many cases, his vote on important legislation literally goes up for sale to the highest bidder. It's like a auction, with cash and post-political career jobs changing hands freely.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM

1,858 posts, read 2,096,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

There are term limits here in California and many regret the implementation. I've posted this link before but here it is again:
http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-...nclick_check=1

A snippet from the article (the bolding is mine):

"Of all the mistakes I've made in public life, the one I regret most is advocating for term limits for the Legislature," said Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Granite Bay, a leading conservative figure in California who was one of a small number of incumbent legislators who backed the term limits measure two decades ago. "It has harmed the institution badly."

Whether most Californians agree will be tested by a measure that qualified for the 2012 ballot last week. It would change term limits — currently six years in the Assembly and eight years in the Senate — to 12 years total in either chamber or both.

A Mercury News investigation published last month documented a rise in the proportion of bills sponsored by outside interests since term limits took effect. The series exposed a system in which novice lawmakers, eager to build a record of accomplishment and collect campaign money for their next election, increasingly lean on lobbyists and special interests not only for ideas for bills but also for help in shepherding those bills through the legislative process.

-------------------------

Seems to me that term limits are actually giving lobbyists more influence due to the lack of experience of our legislatures because of the term limits.

Vote 'em out if you want but don't take my choice away.

Last edited by Bagger; 09-17-2010 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Cleaned up the formatting.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:31 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,274,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In the first place, those lobbyist's and their dollars don't follow you into the voting booth. Once you go in there, and pull the curtain behind you, you're free to vote your conscience, free from any external influences and free from control. Blaming the results of our elections on lobbyist's and money is just an excuse for failing to practice due diligence when casting your vote.

In the second place, if you think our elected representatives are corrupt now, check out what happens in those states which already have term limits. Once a politician comes up against his limit, and knows that he won't have to face the voters again, in far too many cases, his vote on important legislation literally goes up for sale to the highest bidder. It's like a auction, with cash and post-political career jobs changing hands freely.

I don't agree. I think the founding fathers had a "citizen servant" in mind for elected representatives rather than career politicians. Their idea was for elected representatives should come from the people, as one of them. and after serving them for a brief time in civic responsibility they would return to live among those people, again as one of them, under the same laws they had just passed.

Instead we have politicians that hang on to their power more tightly than college professors seeking tenure. They pass laws they exempt themselves from without ever reading the impact those laws have on the people they are supposed to serve. They pass laws to benefit those groups and lobbies that will be funding their next re-election campaign.

"Whenever a man cast a longing eye on offices, a rottenness begins in his conduct." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Edited to add: If term limits are a bad idea, do you support the repeal of the 22nd Amendment?

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 09-17-2010 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 PM

12,320 posts, read 15,235,133 times
Term limits are the lazy person's answer to voting. Just like automatic transmission, automatic doors, motion sensors to control lights. Politicians will probably vote it down. Remember George Nethercutt? He got elected largely because he supported them. After six years in office he said he was wrong and wanted to run for another term. There was a serious attempt to repeal the 22nd amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies