Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 AM

70 posts, read 39,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
She should have been vetted by Congress. Another czar with massive power unvetted by the people's elected representatives. Yep, all the transparency the big 0 promised.
All Presidents make appointments like this.
Correct me if I am wrong but it is Unconstitutional and they do it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:01 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
She should have been vetted by Congress. Another czar with massive power unvetted by the people's elected representatives. Yep, all the transparency the big 0 promised.
Warren needs no vetting. Her credentials and ethics speak for themselves. To have the Republicans and their banking buddy friends gum up the works is a big waste of time. They already hate and fear this woman and with good reason...she is no friend to Wall Street corruption and thievery. I suggest you educate yourself as to who she really is...

I have provided many links on this thread below...

Thank you Mr. President for appointing Elizabeth Warren

Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianMan View Post
New Obama aide: Wall Street needs 'tough cop' - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

"The new law creates a chance to put a tough cop on the beat and provide real accountability and oversight of the consumer credit market,"

I am sure the big banks are shaking in their boots.

Real accountability, please tell me Ms Warren how the federal Government is going to hold a bank with a couple hundred billion in holdings accountable?

Are you going to fire the entire Board of Directors?

Are you going to fine them a couple million that they earn in an hour or two?

What exactly is real accountability?

The truth is Ms. Warren the big banks are your boss. You have no authority to hold them accountable.

The only accountability is to eliminate too big to fail. The big banks operate as if there is no risk to them.
What is with the 0bama administration any way? All these people are pure academics, they have no experience outside of academia and politics.

Austan Goolsbee replaced Christine Romer, and both are pure academics with nothing but decades of worthless theoretical economics. Romer was commenting on how she did not know why her policies did not work, and had no clue what else to do. so 0bama appoints another academic theoretician to replace her.

Now we have Elizabeth Warren, have you seen her Wiki page?

It seems to be missing the point in her life where she left college and joined the reality of the world we all live in.

She went into college and never left, and now she jumps feet first into her first taste of the real world, and we are all supposed to breath a sigh of relief that she became wise experienced from all the positive and negative repercussions that resulted from her debates on theoretical economics, "Thank god, we are saved".

Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Warren needs no vetting. Her credentials and ethics speak for themselves. To have the Republicans and their banking buddy friends gum up the works is a big waste of time. They already hate and fear this woman and with good reason...she is no friend to Wall Street corruption and thievery. I suggest you educate yourself as to who she really is...

I have provided many links on this thread below...

Thank you Mr. President for appointing Elizabeth Warren
I've done my own reseach, thanks anyway. And yes, I still believe the American people deserved to hear her vetted. I'm really sick of the excuse that "all Presidents" do this when Barry the transparent is nearly up to 50 of these non-vetted czars.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I've done my own reseach, thanks anyway. And yes, I still believe the American people deserved to hear her vetted. I'm really sick of the excuse that "all Presidents" do this when Barry the transparent is nearly up to 50 of these non-vetted czars.
If you had in fact researched, you would not be so incredulous about Warren's appointment. Don't you realize (providing you had read anything about her) that the corrupt people in Congress are mouthpieces for the banking industry? Any vetting process would have been BS anyway. Obama did the absolute right thing on this one. My appreciation and thanks to him for Elizabeth Warren.

What's the Hold-Up on Elizabeth Warren?

The bank lobby has been doing everything it can to block Warren's nomination, but there are simply no good reasons to bypass her. In the field of finance, there is simply no consumer advocate more accomplished than Warren. She's quite possibly the finest bankruptcy scholar in the country, she came up with the idea for a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in the first place, and as Chair of the Oversight Panel for the Wall Street bailout, she has proven that she is willing to ask tough questions and hold powerful people accountable for their actions (she has also been profoundly non-partisan, critiquing Democrats and Republicans alike). Warren has even authored a terrific book on managing household budgets, one which is not only full of excellent advice, but which proves she understands the economic pressures facing everyday Americans.

t r u t h o u t | Zach Carter | What's the Hold-Up on Elizabeth Warren?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 AM

70 posts, read 39,648 times
Quote:
Whats the difference she will be powerless anyway.

You think this little academic is going to Bully Goldman Sachs around?

Thats laughable.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianMan View Post
Whats the difference she will be powerless anyway.

You think this little academic is going to Bully Goldman Sachs around?

Thats laughable.
Somebody has got to speak out. They managed to eliminate Spitzer, so obviously the do not like their sorry a$$ed lying, cheating and thieving ways confronted. Ef 'em!

Elizabeth Warren Makes Timmy Geithner Squirm Over AIG and Goldman Sachs Bailouts

YouTube - Elizabeth Warren Makes Timmy Geithner Squirm Over AIG and Goldman Sachs Bailouts

Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Default Top Five Things You Should Know About Elizabeth Warren

1. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau was her idea. Here's why she thinks this agency is so critical: "It is impossible to buy a toaster that has a one-in-five chance of bursting into flames and burning down your house. But it is possible to refinance your home with a mortgage that has the same one-in-five chance of putting your family out on the street."1

2. The Republicans are so scared of her, they tried to pass a law blocking her from leading the agency. Republicans in Congress and the big Wall Street banks have always been against Warren leading the new consumer agency. Republicans even offered an amendment that was widely understood as designed to block Warren. That amendment failed.2

3. She is one of the most prominent, successful and fierce female lawyers in America. Coming from working-class roots, she graduated from high school as a debate star at 16. She finished law school when she was nine months pregnant. And she has repeatedly been named one of the 50 most influential female lawyers by the National Law Journal and was twice nominated as one of Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People (among other honors).

4. She spoke truth to power about the failed foreclosure program. The Home Affordability Modification Program was supposed to save homeowners from losing their homes but has left many deeper in debt than they were before. Warren used her position on the Congressional Oversight Panel to bring the voices of these disaffected homeowners right to the decision makers in the administration and demand accountability.

5. She may have actual superpowers. She once calmed a crowd at an NBA game with her encyclopedic basketball knowledge. She explained the financial meltdown so clearly to Jon Stewart that he said it made him "want to make out with" her. And there's a viral cowboy rap video about her.

YouTube - Elizabeth Warren Rap Video- Got A New Sheriff

Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Little Timmy from the Treasury still has the power to overrule her; she's under his thumb.
She may look like a good choice but the GS guys are over her so I don't think she'll make any great changes.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
POST #5 -

The only way to keep financial executive from taking excessive risks with other people's money is to force them to put their own money at the same risk. Although heavily investing their stockholders and customers money in CDO's and other high risk items is legal they mostly knew better than to out their own money there. This would make the investment executives a bit more cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies