Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,282,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What is so difficult for conservatives to grasp about different standards for different circumstances?
Like segregation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,937,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Why am I not shocked to see NOT 1 democrat calling him a racist. While in the thread about the use of others using it. They are all racist and the word isnt acceptable for any white person to use.

This only confirms for me the hypocrites

From this point on I really dont want to hear anyone from the left complain about racism at all. The left does NOT hold the left to the same standard when it comes to racism. You all will call the right racist even without a racist comment. Yet someone on the left uses the same word and there is NOTHING but excuses made for it. Its in another context in this or that but when its the right there is never an excuse.

This right here is why racism will always exist because some only want to deal with it when it suits them.

The left has officially lost the race card
Because he is not racist. Using the word to describe another's emotions is not the same as maliciously using a word to describe an entire race in a derogatory fashion. Do you understand context?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,011,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Why am I not shocked to see NOT 1 democrat calling him a racist. While in the thread about the use of others using it. They are all racist and the word isnt acceptable for any white person to use.
I'm not a democrat, and I'm not calling him racist either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex
This only confirms for me the hypocrites
As Emerson said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex
From this point on I really dont want to hear anyone from the left complain about racism at all.
Your wishes are hardly anybody else's commands.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,011,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Like segregation?
Nope. Not like segregation in the least.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,119,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Very clear. Certain people can use some words, but others can't. Tell me, what words can I say, that you can't?
How would I know? The insulted group has more leeway in the use of the derogatory term than those who are not a part of that group. No one's free speech rights are trampled, anyone can say anything. But if I hear a black person freely using the N word, is there some reason why I have to be upset when it's not directed at me in any way (btw, I'm white and gay)? Should I impose censorship? No, I can simply leave. But call me an F (3-letters) with malicious intent, then I can indeed ask you to kindly shut up. The affected group determines the consequences, not the person speaking the word(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
We are all equal,just some are more equal than others...gotcha.

Good to see you use such great logic in your posts.
I got more rep points on my posts in this thread than in any other since I started posting, so obviously my words made sense to someone. Unfortunately, the two of you chose not to join them.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,413,564 times
my first question is, how many people in this thread actually listened to the clips or read transcripts of laura schlessinger and bill mayer's words? how many people actually paid attention to the context? how many people are only basing their opinion on what others said or wrote about each event? and how many people just saw the titles and thought, 'ooh, another perfect opportunity to take a jab at conservatives/liberals!'

bill maher was using it to pinpoint and call today's political figures out on the racism that's taking over the current political dialog. the thing is a lot of it is happening below the surface, like he said, luo tribesmn is code for kenyan, which is code for black. he could have said 'black' instead of the n-word, but it's that racist thinking he was trying to get at.

on the other hand, laura schlessinger repeated it over and over again during a rant to a black listener who was calling in hopes of getting advice, not a rant. and yes, i agree, she has a point. there is a double standard between how blacks and whites use the n-word. but during that whole conversation, she was discounting and invalidating the listener's feelings about her marriage, interrupted the listener before she even had a chance to give all the examples that laura asked for, and then went on a rant. if she had even really listened to the caller first and offered her best advice possible, and then brought up that issue, it would have probably been received much better.

context is a major player in language. acceptability is constantly defined by context. just like you can say summoning noises and say 'come here cookie!' to your dog but not to your boss. same words, different context, one is acceptable, and the other is not. language is not set in stone. the meanings behind words are not set in stone.

take the context into consideration. that's why laura's point is actually right, because the speaker and audience make a difference when a word is being used. but the problem is that it's racism that causes the double standard. when a white person uses the n-word, they carry hundreds of years of oppression and slavery with it. when a black person uses it, they carry a sense of solidarity with it. when racism is far enough in the past that those differences have made their way out of the national psyche, then anyone will be able to use the n-word with identical connotations and repercussions.

trying to compare mayer and schlessinger's usage of the n-word is like trying to sincerely ask why you can't talk to your boss like you talk to your dog.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:01 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,810,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Because he is not racist. Using the word to describe another's emotions is not the same as maliciously using a word to describe an entire race in a derogatory fashion. Do you understand context?
Yes he is. If anyone on the right had used that word at all they would be called a racist and have been called a racist.

Either the word is acceptable to use or its not. You cant pick and choose sorry Do u understand that? (Since ur post is condescending )

Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,415,617 times
It's hardly hypocrisy. He's 100% right, the GOP and tea party types use that code words for that word. Him pointing that out is hardly the same context in which the idiot doctor used it.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I'm not a democrat, and I'm not calling him racist either.

As Emerson said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Your wishes are hardly anybody else's commands.
Thats just it you arent calling him a racist. There for dont ever call anyone else that uses the word a racist. Its either an acceptable word for all to use or its not. Simple as that. None of this context BS Thats an excuse to not have to call him a racist because hes such an important guy to the left. Cant dare call one of their own a racist now can we

Tell us how you all want to fight and end racism. Go check out the post made by democrats and the use of the word in the Dr Laura thread

Democrats in that thread said just using the word being white made u racist. So seems now it doesnt

Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It's hardly hypocrisy. He's 100% right, the GOP and tea party types use that code words for that word. Him pointing that out is hardly the same context in which the idiot doctor used it.
It very much is. Either the use of the word by a white person makes you a racist or it doesnt. Seems now it doesnt. So thats it. White people can now use the word and they are no longer racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies