Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,907,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You are right. The governenment has no business in the food business. I'm even furious that they alert us to E Coli and bacteria in food. I say that we should be free to ingest all of the tainted and bacteria laden food we want. The industrial food industry should be allowed to profit off of the citizens of this country regardless of what product they market and how sick it makes us. That's capitalism and what's the big deal about a few rotten burgers and eggs when you the bottom line meets stockholders expectations!
You just reminded me of a neighbor who is in her 70s, collecting Soc Sec and Medicare who told me the government has no business interfering in how health care is run! Anyway, this area was devastated by Hurricane Charley in 2004 and many people depended on FEMA for help. She was one of the victims and, when she said she agreed with the Tea Party candidates who cry "cut spending" or who want to "shut down the government" I asked her what the "F" in FEMA stood for. People have no clue.

I hope that everyone who thinks the government should stop regulating the food industry reads The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. I read it in college and I still wince when I think about it. A lot of new laws were passed after he brought the horrible conditions about the meat packing industry to the public's attention. By the way, that was in 1906. Guess we haven't evolved that much, have we? These freedom robbing Democrats want to make sure no human fingers get ground into my burger or that I don't eat rat feces with my Cheerios. Darn them!

The Republicans want tax cuts for the top 2% wealthiest Americans but are against food safety. It boggles the mind.

[URL="http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_09/025709.php"]The Washington Monthly--A BOLD STAND IN SUPPORT OF SALMONELLA..[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,101,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You just reminded me of a neighbor who is in her 70s, collecting Soc Sec and Medicare who told me the government has no business interfering in how health care is run! Anyway, this area was devastated by Hurricane Charley in 2004 and many people depended on FEMA for help. She was one of the victims and, when she said she agreed with the Tea Party candidates who cry "cut spending" or who want to "shut down the government" I asked her what the "F" in FEMA stood for. People have no clue.

I hope that everyone who thinks the government should stop regulating the food industry reads The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. I read it in college and I still wince when I think about it. A lot of new laws were passed after he brought the horrible conditions about the meat packing industry to the public's attention. By the way, that was in 1906. Guess we haven't evolved that much, have we? These freedom robbing Democrats want to make sure no human fingers get ground into my burger or that I don't eat rat feces with my Cheerios. Darn them!

The Republicans want tax cuts for the top 2% wealthiest Americans but are against food safety. It boggles the mind.

The Washington Monthly
Incredible, isn't it? There are people in this country that want to roll us back into the Dark Ages and The Plague.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
By the way, smoking isn't the only thing that causes lung cancer. There's even a type of lung cancer that baby nurses get from breathing in too much baby powder and other that millers get from breathing in the dust from grain. They chose their careers, it's a lifestyle choice. Do we turn our backs on them as well as the smokers?
My maternal grandfather died from throat cancer and never smoked. My mother's sister died 3 years ago from lung cancer and never smoked. My mother, who didn't drink any alcohol, died from liver disease just like her mother.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:24 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
My maternal grandfather died from throat cancer and never smoked. My mother's sister died 3 years ago from lung cancer and never smoked. My mother, who didn't drink any alcohol, died from liver disease just like her mother.
Alcohol, obviously is not the only cause of liver disease. But it's probably the most common. Asbestos is not the only cause of mesothelioma, but the tv will have you believe differently.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:47 PM

8,865 posts, read 5,355,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Funny, if his mom told him the same things he would admit she is right
Precisely the point. He has one mother (as most of us do) and we aren't looking for Mrs Obama to be our mother.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Alcohol, obviously is not the only cause of liver disease. But it's probably the most common. Asbestos is not the only cause of mesothelioma, but the tv will have you believe differently.
You must be talking about those Class Action Lawsuits. Most of those lawsuits are never settled. Large settlements, unless the injured party is very seriously ill and can prove a direct link to the defendant, are the exception, not the rule. If they are, only the attorneys make a lot of money, since hundreds of people might get a small settlement like $2,500 and the law firm will get up to half of the total payout.

Someone will always bring up that poor 78 year old woman who got burned by hot coffee driving through McDonald's. She's probably dead by now it was so long ago, but the story was totally twisted in the news. Yet everyone remembers the headline "$2.5 million for hot coffee." After the woman had several surgeries, skin grafts and was totally disabled for years, I think there was a small settlement. McDonald's originally offered her $800 to take a hike.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:18 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,711,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Precisely the point. He has one mother (as most of us do) and we aren't looking for Mrs Obama to be our mother.
Well, obviously there are mothers out there who do not know what to teach their kids in terms of nutrition
Plus, he could at least shut up and let her talk. But that kind of automatic opposition to all things Obama is getting a bit ridiculous and boring...

Old 09-18-2010, 02:32 PM

52,710 posts, read 34,458,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Was he mad at Limbaugh?
Why would he be mad at limbaugh, who weighs 213 lbs?
More likely he would be mad at the corpulent leftist icon mikey mooron, who probably weighs twice that much, if not moore

Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 PM

8,865 posts, read 5,355,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, obviously there are mothers out there who do not know what to teach their kids in terms of nutrition
Plus, he could at least shut up and let her talk. But that kind of automatic opposition to all things Obama is getting a bit ridiculous and boring...
That doesn't mean we need Michelle to be our second mother. I wouldn't care to have some of her values passed on to my kids, thanks.

Besides, it is more than her talking. Doesn't she also want money?

Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,783,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
We have freedom of choice- to be obese or not. The government should not be in the business of telling us what to eat OR taking care of us when we get sick, especially because of those choices.
Quote:
Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are overweight or obese.

Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar medical burden every year.

Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years.
Battling Obesity in America - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Do children have a choice when they are exposed to an unhealthy diet and junk food for side dishes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies