Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
There are ways to have sex without getting pregnant. I think the poster is saying that if you're going to have sex and you don't want to create a life then you need to be responsible for taking the precautions to make sure that doesn't happen. That would include married couples and couples who want to be child free and you, a woman who has zero desire for children.
There are no ways to have sex and guarantee 100% that you will not get pregnant. I've known people who have had tubal ligations and gotten pregnant years later. I've known men who have had vasectomies who have fathered children. Birth control is not 100% effective. So unless your position is that failed birth control is an acceptable reason for having an abortion, which would be the case for most unwanted pregnancies, then I don't think you have an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Why would anyone be miserable about having a child and giving them up for adoption as opposed to aborting them??? She wishes she would have had an abortion, is that what your saying?

And the research proves that most women who abort a baby have much guilt throughout their life so your friends are either the exception or they are not being truthful with you.

Why do you forget about the life that doesn't have a "choice." It is too bad for the inconvenience of the mother that this life is already getting in their way. Yes, the woman has a choice to abstain from sex, or use birth control. And since birth control is over 95% effective it is usually due to irresponsibility rather than failure of the method. So the woman can be inconvenienced for 9 months then give the child up and go on with her life. Seems a small price to pay to allowthis life to enter the world and avoid the guilt and ugliness of abortion/murder.
Actually, the propaganda is that most women who've had an abortion suffer a lifetime of guilt. In actuality, the research shows only that most women have some regret, and that most women do think that it was the best choice for them, given the situation they found themselves in.

Moreover, the "woman can be inconvenienced for 9 months" argument is BS. Pregnancy is not an inconvenience. It is life-changing, there are numerous health risks involved, and it's financially, physically, and emotionally burdensome. Considering the number of pregnancies that are ended naturally, a woman choosing to end an abortion does not have to feel any guilt at all, except for the guilt imposed upon her by insensitive clods who think that any woman seeking an abortion is irresponsible, stupid or immoral.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are no ways to have sex and guarantee 100% that you will not get pregnant. I've known people who have had tubal ligations and gotten pregnant years later. I've known men who have had vasectomies who have fathered children. Birth control is not 100% effective. So unless your position is that failed birth control is an acceptable reason for having an abortion, which would be the case for most unwanted pregnancies, then I don't think you have an argument.
I would say for the woman's sake, yes, forget about the child that carrying the child to term is the best thing for all involved. Then give it up for adoption.

Have enough love, maturity, and sacrifice to do this. Yes for 9 months it will be inconvenient but after this the mother will not have to suffer guilt the rest of her life.
Before abortion was legal women did it for centuries. And I've never met a woman who had regret for carry a child to term.
I also believe many woman are embarrassed to let the world know they are pregnant and might not want people to know they are giving their child up. I think this is why a lot of women have abortions. That and convenience.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
I would explain to your boyfriend your concerns and your issues with this. That it is not something you want to be a part of, and certainly not in your home. If he loves and cares for you he will respect you and make other arrangements.
It's his home too.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I would say for the woman's sake, yes, forget about the child that carrying the child to term is the best thing for all involved. Then give it up for adoption.

Have enough love, maturity, and sacrifice to do this. Yes for 9 months it will be inconvenient but after this the mother will not have to suffer guilt the rest of her life.
Before abortion was legal women did it for centuries. And I've never met a woman who had regret for carry a child to term.
I also believe many woman are embarrassed to let the world know they are pregnant and might not want people to know they are giving their child up. I think this is why a lot of women have abortions. That and convenience.
Inconvenience. High blood pressure. Potential pregnancy-related diabetes. The expense of clothes, vitamins, healthcare. The time off from work. Morning sickness. Shoes that no longer fit. Being unable to work at all because you are physically unable to stand on your feet for long hours. Who's going to take care of the woman through this 9-month "inconvenience"? Worldwide, almost half a million women died last year in childbirth. Because it's so inconvenient. I've known women who've lost their jobs because of being pregnant, whether there are laws on the books or not. So inconvenient.

Most women who have abortions already have children. They don't choose to abort a child because of convenience. They choose to take care of the child they already have.

And abortions aren't convenient, by the way. A significant number of women in this country don't even have access to abortion, because there are no doctors or facilities near them that provide it. Convenient? The most ridiculous argument I've ever heard.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Sure would be nice if the government wasn't allowing underage kids to have this procedure done during schools hours without parental knowledge. Why would government have the right to usurp parental authority in a personal matter such as this?

If I were a parent of a school age child I would want the government to stay out of "my family's" reproductive choices as well.
So the kid whose daddy rapes and impregnates her gets ratted out to her family that she's going to have an abortion, and the dad beats the crap out of the girl for 'telling'. That's just ONE example I can think of that makes your opinion so very wrong.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I wasn't arguing that. The other poster said he didn't agree with abortion as a means of birth control to which the reply was "so I should be a virgin"

I said I thought the poster meant birth control should be used as a method to prevent pregnancy, not to end pregnancy.

Either way, although nothing is 100% I'm pretty sure that the majority of unwanted pregnancies are a result of no birth control.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Any man who is against abortion should do one of the following:
a) keep it in his pants because it is the sperm that causes pregnancy;
b) get a vasectomy;
c) start adopting unwanted kids.

I suppose booya chose not to read my link to I'mNotSorry.net: Celebrating the right to choose
He can't post any studies other than opinions from religious (anti-choice, women as *****) sites to support his claim.

a) yes!
b) yes!
c) yes!

I'm pretty sure that never happened before.

As for abortion by any means your are completely wrong.

As for the boyfriend, he's a pig for a number of reasons.

I've lost good friends over the years because I refuse to soften my views on the issue of abortion. It's the cold-blooded murder of a helpless child, there is no right to it and there is no excuse for it.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM

638 posts, read 929,688 times
Quote:
Why would anyone be miserable about having a child and giving them up for adoption as opposed to aborting them??? She wishes she would have had an abortion, is that what your saying?

And the research proves that most women who abort a baby have much guilt throughout their life so your friends are either the exception or they are not being truthful with you.

Why do you forget about the life that doesn't have a "choice." It is too bad for the inconvenience of the mother that this life is already getting in their way. Yes, the woman has a choice to abstain from sex, or use birth control. And since birth control is over 95% effective it is usually due to irresponsibility rather than failure of the method. So the woman can be inconvenienced for 9 months then give the child up and go on with her life. Seems a small price to pay to allowthis life to enter the world and avoid the guilt and ugliness of abortion/murder.
Yeah, because adoption is a viable choice…. The system for adoption within this country is already flawed. Countless numbers of children grow up in group and foster homes, never knowing the intimacy of real parents. At 18 their given a pat on the back, grant packages if higher education is in the books, and a good luck. Is this a good life? You speak to the rights of the unborn fetus, however the chances of them being adopted are low, and lower still if they’re from a minority race. By ending abortion, the number of unwanted children entering this already overburdened system will increase exponentially, leaving group homes for most of these children. In case if you didn’t know, group homes are no fun. Their basically like growing up in a mental facility. No parents and shared living arrangements with other adolescents (who in a great deal of the circumstances have mental issues due to past abuse). The recipe for abuse, be it sexual or physical is ingrained from day one. Typically these victimized children mature into adolescents who repeat the cycle of abuse themselves and in turn (in many cases) growing into adult criminals. Is this a good life? I think not. In terms of foster homes, the horror stories I have heard would keep you up at night. Abuse physically and sexually is rampant under this system as well. Now the whole point of my post is not to state explicitly that abortion is preferable to adoption. My only point is to get you to think. Adoption is not a magical answer. The adoption pool surpasses the number of available adopters currently. Without adoption this issue would only be magnified.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
a) yes!
b) yes!
c) yes!

I'm pretty sure that never happened before.

As for abortion by any means your are completely wrong.

As for the boyfriend, he's a pig for a number of reasons.

I've lost good friends over the years because I refuse to soften my views on the issue of abortion. It's the cold-blooded murder of a helpless child, there is no right to it and there is no excuse for it.
Think however you like, but you have no right to interfere with any other person's reproductive decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies