Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 06:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hispanics are not a separate race. They are an ethnic group.

They are recognized as a separate race by the government--and the overwhelming majority of Spanish speakers come from that "race".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 PM

785 posts, read 619,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They are recognized as a separate race by the government--and the overwhelming majority of Spanish speakers come from that "race".
Actually, they are a mixed lot, with some Hispanics also categorized as CAUSASIAN. Known to you as White people.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Then the government is stupid...cause 'hispanics' is not a race...

It's a culture, many...Spanish is a European language that is now spoken in many South American countries or nations due to the fact the Spanish conquered South American territory and converted many of the tribes and population...and had many sexual relations...

Spanish speaking populations from Cuba to Columbia to Mexico to Bolivia are made up of a variety of culturely distinct people who's only ties is the Spanish language...

That's like saying America is a 'race'....(read that again)

Hispanic is not a race...it's simply people who connect through a common spoken language...

You can have red hair and fair skin and be 'hispanic' to having crayon dark skin...it's the language that ties hispanics together...not the physical features...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
A "melting pot" doesn't mean that you mangle all the flavors together into one, but that you retain the individual flavors.

Also, I have to disagree that English is our "original" language. It may be the language of the original 13 colonies, but not the original language of Florida, Louisiana, Arizona, California, etc.

Do other countries hold their borders wide open for immigration, as the U.S. does? I'd personally like to see the borders of each and every state shut down, so that people don't even travel from state to state, much less from other countries--but that's not the policy.
Wow...you just dont get it:

YOU:
A "melting pot" doesn't mean that you mangle all the flavors together into one, but that you retain the individual flavors.
ME:
Yes, BUT ASSIMILATE INTO THE GREATER CULTURE. There is no greater signifier of that than SPEAKING THE PREDOMINATE LANGUAGE IN THE PUBLIC SPHERE. I notice you ignored my question: Is MExico a racist state because Spanish is the dominant language? You can not have it both ways. Whats wrong...logic got your tongue?

YOU:
Also, I have to disagree that English is our "original" language. It may be the language of the original 13 colonies, but not the original language of Florida, Louisiana, Arizona, California, etc.
ME:
Ahem...that was before America became a nation. Of those territories you spoke were many language, broken down by Indian tripes as well as Spanish speakers. That is one reason they were at constant war with each other.

YOU:
Do other countries hold their borders wide open for immigration, as the U.S. does?
ME:
No, actually, they don't. Look at Mexico for that, they deport illegals in their nation, seize you if aren't holding "papers" (sound familiar), and have armed soldiers on their southern border. All things we do not do. Who is more open to illegal immigrants again?

YOU:
I'd personally like to see the borders of each and every state shut down, so that people don't even travel from state to state, much less from other countries--but that's not the policy
ME:
THen you do not believe in the concept of a nation, you are an anarchist. Please then provide an example of a successful anarhist nation that has existed, well, ever, AND for a long time.

CHew on that and then get back with me.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Too bad that they're discriminated against in the U.S. then, isn't it.

Since, according to you, they're indistinguishable from the Caucasian majority.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Wow...you just dont get it:

YOU:
ME:
Yes, BUT ASSIMILATE INTO THE GREATER CULTURE. There is no greater signifier of that than SPEAKING THE PREDOMINATE LANGUAGE IN THE PUBLIC SPHERE. I notice you ignored my question: Is MExico a racist state because Spanish is the dominant language? You can not have it both ways. Whats wrong...logic got your tongue?

YOU:
ME:
Ahem...that was before America became a nation. Of those territories you spoke were many language, broken down by Indian tripes as well as Spanish speakers. That is one reason they were at constant war with each other.

YOU:
Do other countries hold their borders wide open for immigration, as the U.S. does?
ME:
No, actually, they don't. Look at Mexico for that, they deport illegals in their nation, seize you if aren't holding "papers" (sound familiar), and have armed soldiers on their southern border. All things we do not do. Who is more open to illegal immigrants again?

YOU:
I'd personally like to see the borders of each and every state shut down, so that people don't even travel from state to state, much less from other countries--but that's not the policy
ME:
THen you do not believe in the concept of a nation, you are an anarchist. Please then provide an example of a successful anarhist nation that has existed, well, ever, AND for a long time.

CHew on that and then get back with me.
The US doesn't have an "official language" at this point. That's one of the things English Only advocates are fighting to get. I don't think they will get it though.

If Mexico DOES have an "official language", then it IS racist. I don't know whether it does or not. If they don't have an "official language" then they're not--but I can honestly say I don't give a fig about other countries.

I've already stated that I don't personally support immigration from other places. I particularly dislike "snowbirds".

Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Too bad that they're discriminated against in the U.S. then, isn't it.

Since, according to you, they're indistinguishable from the Caucasian majority.
When did you see me say they are "indistinguishable from the Caucasian majority"? Please provide the qoute. You wont be able to because i never said it. What i said was that they overlap. I thought that was easy to understand. Me thinks you are trying to put words in my mouth to then discredit it? Sorry...won't work. Now you're a liar too!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
The US doesn't have an "official language" at this point. That's one of the things English Only advocates are fighting to get. I don't think they will get it though.

If Mexico DOES have an "official language", then it IS racist. I don't know whether it does or not. If they don't have an "official language" then they're not--but I can honestly say I don't give a fig about other countries.

I've already stated that I don't personally support immigration from other places. I particularly dislike "snowbirds".
THe US has a DOMINANT language. There is nothing wrong with that and expecting new immigrant assimilate into the larger culture. It is imperative for a cohesive nation and culture. Mexico is NOT a racist nation for expecting immigrants there learn spanish. It is their language adn the building block of their society. How old are you? 19? Are you a liberal arts major?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:27 PM

I'm 40. I have an AS in Business Management.

I disagree than English is the dominant language, it is a co-language with Spanish.

I said that they were recognized as a separate race, and I said that they could be discriminated against. You seem to think that they are NOT a separate race, and as such don't qualify for a racism argument. Perhaps you think they aren't discriminated against?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I'm 40. I have an AS in Business Management.

I disagree than English is the dominant language, it is a co-language with Spanish.

I said that they were recognized as a separate race, and I said that they could be discriminated against. You seem to think that they are NOT a separate race, and as such don't qualify for a racism argument. Perhaps you think they aren't discriminated against?
Dude, for real, no offense, but you aren't grasping this, and are not coming across as intelligent at all.

Are you actually trying to make a case that the same number of Americans speak Spanish and English? Then why are all the signs, media broadcasts, schools, basically EVERYTHING...in English? SPanish is the SECOND most spoken language. This point is so easily understood I dont need to provide any stats, its obvious on its face. Your arguement is sadly and grossly wrong.

Hispanics are an ETHNICITY. They are the blending of Whites, Blacks, and Native Americans. Of course they can be the subject of discrimination, which is IRRELEVANT to their status as a race. Can you provide a qoute where I said they can not be discriminated against?

Dude...you avoided my last challenge to provide a qoute. Why are you ducking that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies