Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:59 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press: Colin Powell decries 'nonsense' attacks on Obama

Quote:
Powell said the tea party may not become an enduring force unless it moves beyond slogans and promotes an agenda that people "can see, touch and actually believe in." It's not enough, he said, to call for goals that most Americans support, such as controlled federal spending and adherence to the Constitution.
And in challenging Obama, Powell said, "Let's not go down low. ... Let's attack him on policy, not nonsense."
The words of a hero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
The Tea Party has attacked Obama's policies consistently. Perhaps the good ret. General should attend an event if he thinks this is about something other than policy.

But then, maybe Powell doesn't believe in fiscal responsibility as a policy in which to believe.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The Tea Party has attacked Obama's policies consistently.
Sometimes...but other times they attack his race, religion and his origin of birth:

YouTube - TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism

Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The Tea Party has attacked Obama's policies consistently. Perhaps the good ret. General should attend an event if he thinks this is about something other than policy.

But then, maybe Powell doesn't believe in fiscal responsibility as a policy in which to believe.
The mistress of spin...........It's not that Powell doesn't believe in fiscal responsibility, the question is what are the tea party's solutions to achieving fiscal responsibility? That's the question he poses.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Powell consistently proves himself a reasonable voice in the GOP. If there was anyone I would've believed about WMD's in Iraq, it was him. Which is exactly why the Republicans set him up as the sacrificial patsy. Why he sticks with the party that has betrayed him so badly, I'll never understand. Well, I guess he agrees with the majority of conservative ideals, which I do as well.

However, I'm not as long-suffering as Powell. I don't think good ideals given lip service by bad people while they screw the country over in their own self-interest is a good foundation for a political party. Which is why I can't sign on as a Republican OR a Democrat. For those of you who, like Powell, are reasonable voices in cacophany of wingnuts, keep fighting the good fight.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sometimes...but other times they attack his race, religion and his origin of birth:

YouTube - TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism
Any proof that any of them are real Tea Party members ? Just because you read it on the internet , and it fit's your agenda , doesn't make it true .

Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Powell consistently proves himself a reasonable voice in the GOP. If there was anyone I would've believed about WMD's in Iraq, it was him. Which is exactly why the Republicans set him up as the sacrificial patsy. Why he sticks with the party that has betrayed him so badly, I'll never understand. Well, I guess he agrees with the majority of conservative ideals, which I do as well.

However, I'm not as long-suffering as Powell. I don't think good ideals given lip service by bad people while they screw the country over in their own self-interest is a good foundation for a political party. Which is why I can't sign on as a Republican OR a Democrat. For those of you who, like Powell, are reasonable voices in cacophany of wingnuts, keep fighting the good fight.
Powell is a RINO. The "party" didn't betray Powell but every RINO betrays the conservatism that is the foundation of the GOP. I respect his military service but ret. General Powell is anything but conservative in his politics.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Any proof that any of them are real Tea Party members ? Just because you read it on the internet , and it fit's your agenda , doesn't make it true .
Any proof that any of them are NOT real Tea Party members? Just because you wish to ignore the ugly side of the "conservative movement", and it doesn't fit your agenda, doesn't make it false.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

General Who?

So let's see...General nobody-thinks-about-anymore wants to lecture the Tea Party about staying relevant?

If you reserve your political endorsements for your own kind regardless of idealogical differences and want to call his political opponents uneducated inbred toothless rednecks because that's easier to sell than the tortured reasoning behind the 180 you did the first time a member of YOUR race was in contention for the WH, fine. But understand only a moron believes BO is the victim of racist white America after having been elected by white Americans. Sorry General, but if you have egg on your face it's only because you put it there in 2008 by endorsing an unqualified idiot for no other reason than he was also black.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:53 AM

948 posts, read 1,385,861 times
I am a Tea Party member and I wholeheartedly agree with Col. Powell's statement. Although I disagree with President Obama's policy's and social agenda at this point or at any point it makes no sense to question his nationality. I will not question his patriotism. I think that he is a patriot and I would not say other wise. The man clearly loves this country.
Powell is saying to debate the things that need debating. We need to debate policies that are taking our country forward. If we waste our time attacking or defending an issue that is not productive we are only supporting rhetoric. The world is in so much trouble that it dose not need it's leading fiscal and diplomatic leader to get sidetracked away from what really matters.
I will point out that if McCain had won in '08 it would be irrational leftest that were questioning his citizen ship as they did in the primary referring to his being birthed on a military base in Panama. Many of the people that resort to this type of attack usually don't reason out their own rationalizations, or use it for media propaganda and ratings
In either case it is a huge waste of time and resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies