Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Because humanity has so much potential, so much brain power. I hate to see it wasted on childish imaginary friends and ancient mid-east tribal myths. I hate when humans don't use their ability to reason. If we don't reason there's not much that sets apart from other animals.
Not that I'm a believer myself, but I can't agree with that, either.

Examples abound of very smart people using their brains to better understand what they perceived as God's creation - ultimately, an act of faith on their behalf. (Mendel springs to mind, off the bat, but one could easily think of a half-dozen.) And certainly a ton of people find a meaningful moral code in their faith. I see no reason to aggressively demean what's so important to so many.

I also don't see it happening very often. A lot of religious people are very fast to cry "persecution" when what is really happening is that they're asked to play on an even field. And of course, once the religion spills into politics, the gloves come off. "Gays can't marry because it displeases my god" is not an argument worthy of anything but derision.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
[quote=charolastra00;16769411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Most christers... Most christers are hypocrites, not "some" - nice attempt to minimalize.
"Christers"?? There is no such word in the dictionary I have. What dictionary do you use?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
What do you expect from the feeble minded and deluded. Bible study and Sunday school are brainwashing tools used to beat people down, in turn, like savage mentally obtuse hogs then turn on homosexuals who just want to enjoy an orgasm with another consenting adult. Obtuse hogs would not be able to understand that considering they have been told that every pleasurable feeling is bad. This hatred of pleasure derives from Calvinism and Puritanism originated during and after the revolution. The resurgence and thriving of Calvinism and dumbing down of society is due to the lack of strength of the masses to say "No. We will enjoy ourselves. Down with Churches."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

I also don't see it happening very often. A lot of religious people are very fast to cry "persecution" when what is really happening is that they're asked to play on an even field. And of course, once the religion spills into politics, the gloves come off. "Gays can't marry because it displeases my god" is not an argument worthy of anything but derision.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-24-2010 at 11:27 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
[quote=southward bound;16777608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

"Christers"?? There is no such word in the dictionary I have. What dictionary do you use?
I think some of these people have special dictionaries written by secular progressives to use in demeaning Christians. May she is one of the.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,167 times
[quote=roysoldboy;16779047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

I think some of these people have special dictionaries written by secular progressives to use in demeaning Christians. May she is one of the.
There is nothing progressive about being uncomfortable with a theory or explanation that makes no sense to you... but if you're suggesting that rationalism is hard to find amongst conservatives, I'm not going to disagree with you.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:19 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't quite understand what media reports of attacks on churches in Muslim countries have to do with the title. I thought this thread is about alleged anti-Christian opinions uttered in US media
There is nothing new about anti-Christian sentiments and actions in Muslim countries...
My bad.

American Thinker: Liberal Narcissism and Anti-Christian Phobia
Quote:
The Freudian model attributed these neuroses to a frustrated "will to pleasure," while Adler pointed to an unhealthy expression of the "will to power" over others.
However, I'm quick.

Quote:
In 1980, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders III dropped neurosis as a diagnosis and replaced it with culturally based phobias. The father-led nuclear family was no longer the social structure for incorporating values, morals, and role expectations. "Inadequacy adjustment" in relation to that family system was no longer the source of mental imbalance. Values, norms, and the power of social conditioning were moving outside the home and into the hands of "experts," government schools, universities, and mass media -- in other words, liberals.
I don't know that I agree with this authors labeling, (liberal) however, the move of the source of power into the hands of the government, yes, this is what I see.

I was exiting the school systems (graduation) just about the time the parental/teacher respect inside the schools, were coming into question. If I did something against school rules or misbehaved in the classroom, I was taken into the hallway and my behind was paddled. Teachers can not do that today.

In the raising of my three children in the year 2000 school systems, there was much I had to combat at home in order to keep them focused on their studies, rather than the behavior of their classmates. I had to be more proactive than my folks ever had to be with me. (imho)

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 11-25-2010 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: ()

Old 11-25-2010, 01:44 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not that I'm a believer myself, but I can't agree with that, either.

Examples abound of very smart people using their brains to better understand what they perceived as God's creation - ultimately, an act of faith on their behalf. (Mendel springs to mind, off the bat, but one could easily think of a half-dozen.) And certainly a ton of people find a meaningful moral code in their faith. I see no reason to aggressively demean what's so important to so many.

There is not a group of people, socially structured, organized, and/or culturally based that will not face persecution of one form or another within their life time. How we choose to deal, will make all the difference within ourselves as human beings. imho, The examples we set will lead others to follow.

I found a blog that coincidentally goes along with your second paragraph. CHRISTIANPHOBIA IS ON THE RISE « Alexandria

In the comments section below it:
steve2
"I would also suggest that in the long run, the mixing of politics with religion corrupts religion."

When I read that page I felt like I was reading a condensed version this thread.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
There is nothing progressive about being uncomfortable with a theory or explanation that makes no sense to you... but if you're suggesting that rationalism is hard to find amongst conservatives, I'm not going to disagree with you.
You are responding to another poster, not to my post. I never said any such thing. Apology accepted.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Tell that to the hungry and homeless that are taken care of in shelters and soup kitchens run by the Church. What about the outpouring of support to disaster-stricken areas like New Orleans and Haiti, where Christians flocked to lend help?

I could go on and on from job training programs to missionaries who drill wells and bring education to the third world. You seem to focus so much on the negative that you're blinded to the good things Christians do.

Yes, I know, you'll claim it's all simply a scam to convert everyone and of course that does come into play for some. For others, they're some of the most giving and caring people I've ever met.
And they do it for their own benefit, for converts.
I see it continually in SE Asia.
Non-religious people do the same thing; only without demanding converts to keep up their numbers.

Funny, I haven't met the giving kind, only the taking kind.
And if they are giving, they're not bragging about their being a christer, unlike those on here.
And the controlling kind: the right to life until birth kind; the contempt of the poor and less fortunate kind.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-25-2010 at 06:44 AM..

Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Oh, I see. The fact that “I” haven’t exhibited this behavior means nothing. As long as I am a Christian I must be held responsible for the comments made by other Christian posters on CD. Got it.

And, you know ALL of the Christians in the world to emphatically state that “most” are hypocrites? Get real. Your opinion is based solely on your hatred, and has no basis whatsoever in reality. Christians do not have a monopoly on hypocrisy. The mere notion is utter nonsense. But, if it helps to fuel your loathing, knock yourself out.

Is “christers” another of your cutesy phrases like sky daddy? How special. Are they inspired by your pit daddy, or did you think of them all by your lonesome?

In case you don’t know, we still have freedom of speech. I will continue to profess my Christianity, and you can continue to believe we evolved from apes, or whatever you believe. In any case, I’m through with this thread. And yes, I CAN do it. Bash on!
What part of the word most do you not understand?

No loathing, just disgust, mostly.
You have no proof of a god thing, a sky daddy or whatever.
You made it up and believe it.
Sorry, I don't do hallucinations, group or not.

All religions deserve mockery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies