Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Intolerance will continue, but in a different vein to what it is now. It has always been there, and always will be there. It simply gets redefined.
Absolutely correct. The Ku Klux Klan and the Aryan Nations are famous for their intolerance, and make little apology for it. Similarly, EarthFirst!, CAIR, MEChA, and the Nation of Islam are equally intolerant, albeit toward different targets.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:45 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
IMO there is a certain generation of people who won't be with us much longer. Do you think the world will become a more tolerant and benevolent place when they are gone?
I think we tolerate WAY too much already....

1. I think we tolerate religion, WAY too much. Repeal the tax exemption, and treat them like any other entertainment business.

2. We tolerate politicians who lie entirely too much. So much so, we elect them twice, and then THAT guy gives out pardons to them.

3. Any other race on white crime never makes the news anymore. It's rampant, yet we're somehow so tolerant of it these days nobody talks about it, not even the media.

4. Lying and material omission in the media. We tolerate it WAY too much. What happened to the real news? Now all we get are blow-hards and whiners telling us how they think the news should be, instead of reporting the news.

5. Celebrities. Why do we tolerate their antics? Why should it even be a question of special treatment? These folks should be getting the same if not WORSE treatment than the rest of us.

6. Disrespectful kids. I'm sorry, but child abuse is a HORRIBLE thing. However, a good SLAP is well deserved sometimes. I hate to sound like an old fart, but I hear kids say things today that I would have been slapped so hard for that my face would STILL be red. The things they DO now are equally appalling. Dealing drugs, murder, heavy promiscuity, beating up other kids on video for fun. You name it they seem to be doing it. Why? Because there are seemingly NO consequences for their actions anymore.

7. Sexually deviant clergyman. I'm amazed that people STILL attend Catholic church after what they've been doing with regard to the cover-ups. Why do people tolerate this?

8. GAS AT $3 A GALLON! When oil companies show record profits, why do we tolerate this? Why are they allowed to manipulate the markets by creating false demand, and get away with it?

9. MERCURY in our friggen vaccines. WHY has this been tolerated for so long? WHY is a known neurotoxin still in some vaccines???

10. $100 a month to watch TELEVISION! huh???

11. "Gay Days" at Disney? Since when does a family oriented place like that start catering to gays? I'm all for gay rights, but THAT is ridiculous. Next we're going to have "family night" at the gay bars. Everything has it's place.

12. Oh jeez I could type for days... Anyone else care to add to my list of ridiculous crap we ALREADY tolerate?

~T

Old 07-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Good Post

[quote=YapCity;1080299]I think we tolerate WAY too much already....

2. We tolerate politicians who lie entirely too much. So much so, we elect them twice, and then THAT guy gives out pardons to them.

(Too true- I've harped on this forever. What would happen if we actually prosecuted some politician for PERJURY- or for BREACH of CONTRACT !!)

3. Any other race on white crime never makes the news anymore. It's rampant, yet we're somehow so tolerant of it these days nobody talks about it, not even the media.

(True- lots of PC fear out there.-- fair is fair, but this is not.)

5. Celebrities. Why do we tolerate their antics? Why should it even be a question of special treatment? These folks should be getting the same if not WORSE treatment than the rest of us.

(As for myself, I have zero interest, But yes, it does get tedious.)

6. Disrespectful kids. I'm sorry, but child abuse is a HORRIBLE thing. However, a good SLAP is well deserved sometimes. I hate to sound like an old fart, but I hear kids say things today that I would have been slapped so hard for that my face would STILL be red. The things they DO now are equally appalling. Dealing drugs, murder, heavy promiscuity, beating up other kids on video for fun. You name it they seem to be doing it. Why? Because there are seemingly NO consequences for their actions anymore.

(PC and "zero tolerance" (ironic name, No?) has forced us into the position of acting as though a "swat on the 'fan*y' is no different than "beating a kid with a two-by-four". If you can't use common sense, this is the result...)

7. Sexually deviant clergyman. I'm amazed that people STILL attend Catholic church after what they've been doing with regard to the cover-ups. Why do people tolerate this?

(I still attend because I think my duty is to God, not men. There's going to be a whole lot of explaining to do someday "up yonder". Meanwhile, though, my job is to monitor my own behavior. Each priest and bishop, like everyone else, is accountable for his own....)

11. "Gay Days" at Disney? Since when does a family oriented place like that start catering to gays? I'm all for gay rights, but THAT is ridiculous. Next we're going to have "family night" at the gay bars. Everything has it's place.

(Again, in a values-neutral society, we are very loathe to sound "judgemental"..)

12. Oh jeez I could type for days... Anyone else care to add to my list of ridiculous crap we ALREADY tolerate?

(I'd only add that the huge irony here is the widespread use of "Zero Tolerance", which effectively removes our right and duty to differentiate between right and wrong, good and evil. Thus the third grade girl with the plastic picnic knife in her school lunch, and the switchblade-carrying punk are BOTH expelled from school for "carrying weapons". With zero-tolerance, no thinking is required.)

Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
Forced tolerance is liking trying to neatly cram gunpowder into a keg. It will fit for a little while, but eventually it will blow.

The PC world we live in is a world of fake actions and conversations. While it may be nice to not hear hateful or rude things, it is even worse to have hidden plots and veiled hatred. Those who think PC has done anything good for this world are in for a surprise in the future.

Although, I will say it would be nice to live in a world where those who push tolerance the hardest could actually be tolerant themselves. Most of the time its just snooty hypocrisy.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Forced tolerance is liking trying to neatly cram gunpowder into a keg. It will fit for a little while, but eventually it will blow.
Very true. Racism is coming back into vogue like an ugly polyester shirt.

Just watch the "news". Bill O'Reilly is leading the parade. Hell, just watch the WHITE HOUSE, lol.

~T

Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
As a current member of Generation Y, I would be inclined to agree that each successive generation is becoming much more tolerant of those with different religious affilliations, ethnicities, races, and sexual orientations. Our "greatest generation" may have sacrificed the more formative years of their lives to put food on the table during the Great Depression or to be drafted into WWII, but they certainly don't take too kindly to interracial relationships, homosexual relationships, etc., and they seem to be apt to make their opinions known to all who will listen, which begins to negate the respect I hold for their contributions to our country. My parents' middle-aged generation is less judgmental than the oldsters, but they still have moral convictions that most in my generation would consider to be too restrictive. There's also a lot of hypocrites amongst you middle-aged folks. For example, my own father called me a disgrace to the family when I "came out of the closet," yet when he recently got drunk as a skunk and smashed his truck into another car, we were expected to keep our lips sealed about it. Finally, those in Generation X and Generation Y seem to have a "live and let live" attitude, which I'm quite proud of. I live in a rather upper-middle-class, heavily-conservative whitebread suburb, yet 99% of my peers made me feel welcome and accepted as a minority.

The only thing I'm intolerant of is intolerance itself. So, yes, Silas, I AM intolerant of those in the right-wing, as I don't feel as if they hold our nation's best interests in mind when they start spouting out how "evil" gays, Liberals, Jews, Muslims, etc. are. As long as you're actions are not detrimentally-impacting my family, neighborhood, or nation in any way, shape, or form, then what business of mine is it to "butt in" and tell you who to worship or who to love? It just seems a little bit hypocritical to me to realize that so many right-wing Christian Republicans claim to love Jesus, a man who didn't shun anyone who chose to accept him, yet these same people totally disregard his teachings to become prejudiced, spiteful, and hateful---why else would they be so quick to jump to the front of the line in order to protest gay civil unions? Heaven forbid people like me are able to be happy in life, right?

Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Very true. Racism is coming back into vogue like an ugly polyester shirt.

Just watch the "news". Bill O'Reilly is leading the parade. Hell, just watch the WHITE HOUSE, lol.

~T
I thought Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were leading the parade? It is making a comeback, I was called a white mutha**** cracka just the other day. Really sad how people can't get over the past.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 PM

I can't speak for society as a whole, but I can tell you there's a group of young folks who advocate environmentally - conscious positions on a number of issues, down in Cookeville, Tennessee. And apparently, when a neighbor parks his new Hummer in their neighborhood, these youngsters can suddenly become VERY intolerant...I mean, INTOLERANT with a CAPITAL "I" !!!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Give me a break...Everything is not Bush's fault and Muslim's have been here long before Bush was President.....The imigration problem has been here for a long time.......Get a grip......

Bush is currently our president, so the buck stops at his desk until the next president is elected. And the Muslim religious intolerance we see occurring everyday in Europe is going to happen here if Bush keeps increasing the number of immigrants from the middle-east at a time of war. Muslim religious intolerance has been directly linked to terrorism. It's a documented fact.

Problems won't go away simply because we choose to ignore them or pretend they don't exist. Things are going to become much more intolerant here in the US over the next generation.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:11 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Is the next generation more tolerant? Of What? The next generation seems to be so self-absorbed with their cell phones, i pods, etc I don't think many of them know or care whats going on out there. I would like to see more protests at colleges about the war in Iraq, the impeachment of Bush and the hunt for Bin Laden. Do they realize this $500billion+ war, the looming collapse of healthcare in the U.S., will be paid for by this generation? I grew up in the '70s when we went to Washington in buses and protested the war in Vietnam and we tried to keep them honest. I am so glad I am not growing up in current day America, I have never seen us in such a miserable hole as we now find ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies