Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you keep ragging on us old farts, but if it were not for us old farts, the things you learned, and the things you use today would likely not be around.
<snip>
so get over yourself.
My DH's class at Cal Tech had their 40th reunion this spring. As we toured his old dorm, one of his classmates told the kids in the library, "Remember, everything you're using today, we invented".

I agree. Get over yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yes, c'mon old geezer. enlighten me with your words of light. puhllease. i have drinking partners older than you

you need to born before 1955 to get me to sit down and listen
..And you wonder why people refer to you as a kid... It's because you obviously lack wisdom. People your age (<35) should watch and listen to people around my age (53) and older to learn about life's lessons without having to pay the price for the knowledge.

Do you really think you have reached a level of wisdom that you can't listen to anyone born after 1955?? That's why you get referred to as a kid.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I thought he was this Al Green

YouTube - Al Green Love and Happines
that's the one.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
..And you wonder why people refer to you as a kid... It's because you obviously lack wisdom. People your age (<35) should watch and listen to people around my age (53) and older to learn about life's lessons without having to pay the price for the knowledge.

Do you really think you have reached a level of wisdom that you can't listen to anyone born after 1955?? That's why you get referred to as a kid.
like i said before, it seems that with age you lose your sense of humor

and at your age you should know that real wisdom is gained through experience, not simply listening to what people tell you and taking their word for it. a mom can tell her child not to touch a hot stove all she wants, but he won't really understand why he shouldn't touch it until he's burned himself. that's just the way life works. sometimes you have to learn things the hard way

Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
We've still got our sense of humor....we just hurt a lot more places than we did when we were young. It's harder to keep the sense of humor at the forefront.

One of the downsides of chasing life's experiences is that at times the experience you're chasing turns around and bites you. 20yrs later those bites still hurt.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
We've still got our sense of humor....we just hurt a lot more places than we did when we were young. It's harder to keep the sense of humor at the forefront.

One of the downsides of chasing life's experiences is that at times the experience you're chasing turns around and bites you. 20yrs later those bites still hurt.
aint that the truth!!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,522 times
Quote:

and at your age you should know that real wisdom is gained through experience, not simply listening to what people tell you and taking their word for it. a mom can tell her child not to touch a hot stove all she wants, but he won't really understand why he shouldn't touch it until he's burned himself. that's just the way life works. sometimes you have to learn things the hard way
At my age I don't need to touch a hot stove to know that it's hot. I don't need to smoke crack to know that it's addictive. I don't need to be irresponsible with money and not have a plan for it to know that this type of behavior will lead to financial problems. There are lots of things you can learn in life that you don't have to experience first hand. Those are the things for which you can take people's word. It's called learning from other people's mistakes.

Applying what you have learned from your own experiences with what you have learned from the experiences of others is where the real wisdom is gained. Considering that you are more than 20 years my junior, and looking at what you have posted here, you are hardly in a position to tell me how life works.

I'm not taking anything away from what you have experienced. I'm simply pointing out to you (as have others in this thread) that you have most likely at this point in your life, experienced less than half of all that you will experience in your lifetime. Don't be so sensitive about being referred to as a kid. It's not the same thing as being referred to as a child. I have enough life experience to know the difference.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
At my age I don't need to touch a hot stove to know that it's hot. I don't need to smoke crack to know that it's addictive. I don't need to be irresponsible with money and not have a plan for it to know that this type of behavior will lead to financial problems. There are lots of things you can learn in life that you don't have to experience first hand. Those are the things for which you can take people's word. It's called learning from other people's mistakes.

Applying what you have learned from your own experiences with what you have learned from the experiences of others is where the real wisdom is gained. Considering that you are more than 20 years my junior, and looking at what you have posted here, you are hardly in a position to tell me how life works.

I'm not taking anything away from what you have experienced. I'm simply pointing out to you (as have others in this thread) that you have most likely at this point in your life, experienced less than half of all that you will experience in your lifetime. Don't be so sensitive about being referred to as a kid. It's not the same thing as being referred to as a child. I have enough life experience to know the difference.
it's not about being sensitive, it's about respect. i am not okay with being called a kid, so it's not going to happen. you wouldn't tolerate anyone calling you a name you didn't like would you?

the issue here is that older individuals seemed to be programmed into thinking that "the young" are all a bunch of ignorant fools out doing all sort of stupid mess; but in case i hadn't made it clear several times throughout this thread, my sh*t is TOGETHER. not so much financially (getting there), but emotionally and mentally, i'm set for the road ahead of me. all the sacrifices i've made and all the beatings i've taken in life have whipped me into shape.

and i didn't say that people should never listen to anyone who knows better than them. i said that sometimes you have to experience a situation for yourself to truly learn from it. the wise didn't get to where they are just doing what they were told, they had to go through some mess to get there

and i'm not trying to take anything away from what i'm sure you know. yes you're older than me, but just like you've been through things that i have yet to or probably never will, i'm certain that i have my own struggles that you probably know nothing about.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
I was born in '89 ...Can't wait til I get 50 though, I've been looking forward to it since I was in elementary school always wanted to be older and still do.
I would kill to be 21 again.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 09-24-2010 at 11:28 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
High Definition Television = Not a huge impact on society
Television = A huge impact on society
Transistor Radio = An improvement over the tube radio
Recording tape = Significant impact on event coverage and music preservation
CD \ DVD = An improvement on a means of recording...but not so impactful as going from not being able to record, to being able to record

My point here (perhaps not very well made) is that from 2003 - 2010 there have been many improvements on the technologies that actually changed our society in this country. I would not say that from 2003 - 2010 that there have been any really "earth-shaking" changes in our society.
Most of the major forward leaps changes in our society as we have come to know took place long before 2003, and to a very significant degree, long before 1980.
Great post. I agree and I was born in the 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies