Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:02 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,399 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what political group do you think the younger generation in their 20s will be aligned with.

It seems it really varies by region. The younger people in the east and west are becoming much more liberal. While in the midwest there seems to be a big rise in conservatism.

Even states like Minnesota that dont have conservative reputation the younger demographic is much more conservative then the old time Minnesotans and its that way pretty much between Chicago and Denver luckily or unluckily depending on how you look at that the region doesnt have many electoral votes.

It seems like overall. People in their 20s have very, very high ego's but I think alot of those ego's will be dissapointed with so I think that might cause a turn to the left politically. But then again as the baby boomers retire and liabilities go up I think that might shift the scene to the right amongst that group but there are more then enough baby-boomer votes to counter that.

Overall, I do think this demographic in their 20s except for the western part midwest tends to be more socially liberal.

I know this post seems sort of disorganized, but do you think people in their 20s are more liberal or conservatve as the nation as a whole?

Will they impact the 2008 elections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 05:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
That's a good question.
I have two sons, one almost 23, the other almost 18.
One, the older one, is very liberal (moreso than I).
The other is a Ron Paul fan.
It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:20 PM

451 posts, read 835,576 times
Hmm reminds me of the old adage about
"If you are not liberal at 20 you don't have a heart and if you are not a conservative at 40 you don't have a brain"

Old 07-01-2007, 07:32 PM

467 posts, read 324,925 times
I have two teenagers who will both be eligible to vote in '08. They are both liberals and will both be voting that way.

I'm not sure you can say they are a product of their environment because we've lived so many different places while they grew up. The only consistent thing in their lives are their parents and the military. We have always had very open discussions with them since they were old enough to talk back to us and they have never had a problem disagreeing with us. One is an atheist - the other considers himself a Christian and attends church. I'm agnostic and my husband considers himself to be a Christian so religion really hasn't played a big part in either of their political framing. I think they have been explosed to a myriad of different kinds of people and so they might know a little more about diversity and tolerance than I did growing up in a small southern town.

Sprinter - I've heard that quote many times and it is cute and pithy, but I don't really think it holds much water. I consider myself (almost 40) to have quite a brain and my husband is a nuclear engineer so he isn't what I would call a dumby... I could probably come up with a few cutting remarks about conservatives who don't appear to have brains, but I will refrain.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,976 times
My son went to public school...he is more on the liberal side
My daughter is in catholic school..a little more conservative
I wonder if there is a connection?

Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
My son went to public school...he is more on the liberal side
My daughter is in catholic school..a little more conservative
I wonder if there is a connection?
What's the most effective way of changing an entire nation? Influencing the kids.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:58 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,129 times
Our population is gradually going to be more and more liberal over the next generation. The primary reason is the legal/illegal immigration. The best estimates say we have somewhere between 25 and 30 million illegals here, most with families who are raising children, and studies have indicated most will (3/4) vote democratic, either after they become citizens or when their children are eligible to vote. As close as some of our national elections have been, that's a huge political swing. Republicans may win an occasional presidential election, but in the near future, probably within six to eight years, we will most likely see the democrats hold both houses of Congress with veto proof majorities.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Demographics are changing; not to the conservatives liking- and not because of new immigrants- we have an aging population that is going to want increased government spending and regulation for programs that help older people.

Historically conservatives have never wanted social programs. The current swing to the left is likely to continue; health care reform is the first sacred cow of liberals to be enacted.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Conservatism and liberalism seem to come and go like a swinging pendulum. When the excesses of one become apparent, we swing to the other side. 50s conservatism was a backlash against the self-indulgent 20s. The late 60s/early 70s were a backlash against the stultifying conservatism of the 50s. The 80s/90s were a reaction to the excesses of the 60s/70s. I think it's going to be liberalism's turn for a while. Get back to me in 2040 as we watch a conservative resurgence.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:04 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Conservatism and liberalism seem to come and go like a swinging pendulum. When the excesses of one become apparent, we swing to the other side. 50s conservatism was a backlash against the self-indulgent 20s. The late 60s/early 70s were a backlash against the stultifying conservatism of the 50s. The 80s/90s were a reaction to the excesses of the 60s/70s. I think it's going to be liberalism's turn for a while. Get back to me in 2040 as we watch a conservative resurgence.

That, and you know, younger people actually voting. Only 47 percent of citizens 18 - 24 voted in the 2004 presidential election (58 percent registered) compared 72 percent of citizens 55 and older (79 percent registered). This, according to the demographics of the Census Bureau. I laughed when I saw the NY Times Poll about the attitudes of young people and that they lean left. I'd rather see the attitudes of young people who actually vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies