Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Then why are liberals usually against the school voucher system? They have no problem sacrificing the education of other people's children do they?
I am not opposed to it for non religious schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where did I say that? I believe I said I'd work to improve the public schools. Anyway, it's a moot point because I do not live in or near Chicago.
But you might live there one day. And the schools in that city are freaking horrible. They look run down and depressing and they are filled with gangs, criminals and the teachers there- some of them try but many of them don't give a damn either. They just toss a book on the student and say "if you get it, you get it and if you don't, you don't" and then they sit down and read the newspaper.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..go skim the various city and state forums and they are full of "where is the best school district ?" posts. That will give you your answer.
Why? Is it just "liberals" that ask that question? How do you know that? If you take a look at the Colorado forums, you will note that I am one of a few who says that much of this "great schools" stuff is a bunch of BS. The test scores don't tell you anything about how your child will do in a particular school, and a low scoring school isn't necessarily indicative of a bad school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
But you might live there one day. And the schools in that city are freaking horrible. They look run down and depressing and they are filled with gangs, criminals and the teachers there- some of them try but many of them don't give a damn either. They just toss a book on the student and say "if you get it, you get it and if you don't, you don't" and then they sit down and read the newspaper.
I am aware of the reputation of the Chicago Public Schools, having lived in Illinois for seven years. My kids are finished with school.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,943,200 times
Does Mr. Henderson not understand the principle of marginal rates?

If the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of the year (as designed by President Bush), and the Obama tax cuts kick in for those making under $250k per year, the end result will be an increase in marginal rates from 36 to 39% for income above $250k. This means for ever $1000 Mr. Henderson and his wife earn about 250k, his taxes will increase $30. I don't think that's enough of a difference for him to fire his lawn and childcare service.

People talk about a 3% increase in marginal rates (for income over 250k) as some Communist plot. Crazy.

PS: Most Chicago public schools truly are awful. If I were Mr. Henderson, I'd ditch the cars, the retirement account, and the house (I'd go into foreclosure) before I'd ditch tuition for private schools.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:46 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,244 times
I gotta get me one of those car bumper stickers:

"At least it's paid for!"

Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Does Mr. Henderson not understand the principle of marginal rates?

If the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of the year (as designed by President Bush), and the Obama tax cuts kick in for those making under $250k per year, the end result will be an increase in marginal rates from 36 to 39% for income above $250k. This means for ever $1000 Mr. Henderson and his wife earn about 250k, his taxes will increase $30. I don't think that's enough of a difference for him to fire his lawn and childcare service.

People talk about a 3% increase in marginal rates (for income over 250k) as some Communist plot. Crazy.

PS: Most Chicago public schools truly are awful. If I were Mr. Henderson, I'd ditch the cars, the retirement account, and the house (I'd go into foreclosure) before I'd ditch tuition for private schools.
It's hugely interesting to watch this occur before our eyes -- "the base" allowing itself to be manipulated to its own detriment. I think this is possible because these folks are not interested in simply looking up the facts. Those in power know this and play them like a pinball machine.

Tragic but interesting, interesting but tragic.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"It's too easy to pelt [Todd] Henderson with rotten eggs, as so many have now done. (He yanked the post, but way too late–and on the Internet, one's blunders never die (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kpzaEp0IVw4J:truthonthemarket.com/2010/09/15/we-are-the-super-rich/%20site:truthonthemarket.com/%20Xxxx%20Xxxxxxxxx&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&clien t=safari - broken link).) But can we, instead, give him some useful advice?"

Advice for University of Chicago Professor Todd Henderson - WSJ.com
so many people live from paycheck to paycheck, whether they make $30,000 a year or $300,000, the more thee earn, the more they spend. Too many people seem to spend until they hit that wall.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:12 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
so many people live from paycheck to paycheck, whether they make $30,000 a year or $300,000, the more thee earn, the more they spend. Too many people seem to spend until they hit that wall.
But some can afford to save easier than others. Are you defending poor little Todd?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I never spent more than I earned, except for the mortgage and the payments were always within my means, and have no intention of changing. I don't earn very much by the professor's standards but I earn enough (65th percentile roughly). I do remember having much more disposable (vacation spending) income in the 1980's. Fortunately we did not have to buy a home during the late 1990's or we would still be renting.

I have some doubts about his public schools. Generally school districts near universities or hospitals are pretty good because the parents’ success depended on education and they teach their kids to value schooling. I wonder if the prof is sending his kids to private school just for the status it brings. The same applies to a bigger than affordable house and newish cars.

Attempting to maintain a life style comparable with the really rich will send any wage earner to bankruptcy. Even with his excellent income the professor is still not one of President Bush’s Haves let alone a Have More. The Haves start with enough money that their investments yield many times the professor’s income and Have Mores are orders of magnitude above that.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I never spent more than I earned, except for the mortgage and the payments were always within my means, and have no intention of changing. I don't earn very much by the professor's standards but I earn enough (65th percentile roughly). I do remember having much more disposable (vacation spending) income in the 1980's. Fortunately we did not have to buy a home during the late 1990's or we would still be renting.

I have some doubts about his public schools. Generally school districts near universities or hospitals are pretty good because the parents’ success depended on education and they teach their kids to value schooling. I wonder if the prof is sending his kids to private school just for the status it brings. The same applies to a bigger than affordable house and newish cars.

Attempting to maintain a life style comparable with the really rich will send any wage earner to bankruptcy. Even with his excellent income the professor is still not one of President Bush’s Haves let alone a Have More. The Haves start with enough money that their investments yield many times the professor’s income and Have Mores are orders of magnitude above that.
Very true about the schools in a university area. Also, professors are known for driving old beaters. Of course, replacing cars is always a losing proposition, the replacement car almost always costs more. They could simply keep the cars they have longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies