Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 AM

7,511 posts, read 11,300,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:

So what do politicians mean when they say "the middle class"? Good question. Each politician may be talking about a different group of Americans, but the message many voters hear is that the politician is talking about them.

FactCheck.org: Is there a standard, accepted definition of what constitutes the "middle class"? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_there_a_standard_accepted_definition_of.html - broken link)
For years I've been hearing about America's shrinking middle class and how it's being negatively affected by this or that policy. But how can we determine if the middle class is being hurt by whatever if we can't even determine exactly who is middle class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,416,322 times
I know one thing. The middle class is shrinking into the poverty class with all the jobs gone. Some say in the future we will only have the poor and the rich but if jobs come back that won't happen. Let's work on getting jobs back.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,206,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
For years I've been hearing about America's shrinking middle class and how it's being negatively affected by this or that policy. But how can we determine if the middle class is being hurt by whatever if we can't even determine exactly who is middle class?
My definition of middle-class: Someone who works. On the low end of the scale, they make just a little too much to qualify for any form of government help. That's the low end.

On the upper end, is anybody who makes a good amount of money, but not enough to pay their own medical bills without insurance. A real medical issue could be covered in cash by a "rich" household, but a middle-class or upper-middle-class household will need insurance or risk losing everything.

Those are two broad markers I use to define it. I have no idea what the official definition is, and don't care.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,416,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
My definition of middle-class: Someone who works. On the low end of the scale, they make just a little too much to qualify for any form of government help. That's the low end.

On the upper end, is anybody who makes a good amount of money, but not enough to pay their own medical bills without insurance. A real medical issue could be covered in cash by a "rich" household, but a middle-class or upper-middle-class household will need insurance or risk losing everything.

Those are two broad markers I use to define it. I have no idea what the official definition is, and don't care.
That is a good definition. The rich don't care if they get a healthcare bill they will pay as they go. It's the middle class that will be squeezed in the middle with this stinking healthcare bill.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,205,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Actually, middle class had three different classes, lower, middle and upper. And it used to be posted that to even hit lower middle class was making 100,000 and up and this was probably 15 years ago. It wasn't that long ago. And I got that information from a government site. In fact, I think I got it from the WH site.

I remember this because I had to do something for school and I had an argument with my father.Not so much an argument, but he said to back it up and I did. And I made him look this up and his salary put him into right above what used to be called upper working class. Barely. His response was, I have done all of this and I am not even considered middle class.

To me, that was very telling. Primarily because that it isn't necessary for the actual dollar amount ......but the perception.

The baseline is there. The people that are doing the bitchin' are more than likely, by that 15 year old baseline, mid-upper working class. But, hey you can throw a beans and wiener sob story out there if you need to.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:31 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,514,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Actually, middle class had three different classes, lower, middle and upper. And it used to be posted that to even hit lower middle class was making 100,000 and up and this was probably 15 years ago. It wasn't that long ago. And I got that information from a government site. In fact, I think I got it from the WH site.

I remember this because I had to do something for school and I had an argument with my father.Not so much an argument, but he said to back it up and I did. And I made him look this up and his salary put him into right above what used to be called upper working class. Barely. His response was, I have done all of this and I am not even considered middle class.

To me, that was very telling. Primarily because that it isn't necessary for the actual dollar amount ......but the perception.

The baseline is there. The people that are doing the bitchin' are more than likely, by that 15 year old baseline, mid-upper working class. But, hey you can throw a beans and wiener sob story out there if you need to.
Your anecdote sounds like an episode of All in the Family. Your Micheal the meat-head and your Dad is Archie the bigot. It must be late. Is it late?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,205,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Your anecdote sounds like an episode of All in the Family. Your Micheal the meat-head and your Dad is Archie the bigot. It must be late. Is it late?
It could be late.

I have to be up in 3 1/2 hours. It could be early. It is all relative. Do we have a baseline?

Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 11,300,765 times
How much of determinig your class level has to do with your location? I hear how some cities and states are more expensive to live in than others. So if you live in a city that's expensive to live in like San Francisco or NYC then some people may find those cities to be more of a struggle financially than other cities or towns where the cost of living is cheaper. So I would think the cost of living of your location can shape your perception of whether or not you're working,middle or upper class. Someone paying San Francisco rent may feel wealthier just by leaving that city for a city where rent is cheaper.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
What ever happened to the working class..the blue collar folks ? Did they magically become the middle class ? Label someone and they feel important. Label them and the feel rich.
Give them unlimited debt (2005 timeframe) and they act and spend like they are rich.

Take away all that funny money (credit, debt, call it what you may) and now they realize they are not really rich, nor middle class.

The working class is finding out that they never were really rich.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What ever happened to the working class..the blue collar folks ? Did they magically become the middle class ? Label someone and they feel important. Label them and the feel rich.
Give them unlimited debt (2005 timeframe) and they act and spend like they are rich.

Take away all that funny money (credit, debt, call it what you may) and now they realize they are not really rich, nor middle class.

The working class is finding out that they never were really rich.
How elitist! Back in the heyday of the steel mills, many steelworkers made more than my father, who was an engineer in the steel industry. My father-in-law was a union painter; he did pretty well. He put three kids through college, had a great retirement during which he lived to age 97, and had money left over when he died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies