Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM

296 posts, read 228,495 times

Advertisements

Yep,grab your popcorn,we 've got a lot to argue about...

Incest is not unhealthy,that was an unscientific anti -incest myth of the past.
( Like the one that masturbation can make you blind/deaf...)
Pharaohs married their sisters.
A perfectly healthy parent can marry his...children & produce mostly healthy babies...

My intentions are noble.

I seek quality arguments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 04:06 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
Yep,grab your popcorn,we 've got a lot to argue about...

Incest is not unhealthy,that was an unscientific anti -incest myth of the past.
( Like the one that masturbation can make you blind/deaf...)
Pharaohs married their sisters.
A perfectly healthy parent can marry his...children & produce mostly healthy babies...

My intentions are noble.

I seek quality arguments...
yeah right your intention are noble

Old 09-25-2010, 04:07 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
I wouldn't mind more than one wife but streatching the gene pool is a bad idea................

Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Polygamy is "abnormal" only because we say it is. I find very little to argue against it. As for incest, first of all, how do you define incest? Strangely enough every state allows marriage between second cousins. A lot of states allow marriage between first cousins. I think that there are a number of reasons to outlaw incest of closer relatives, one is genetic and the other is based upon the power relationship between the actors.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:17 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What person in their right mind would want more than one spouse? D
What about the patriarchs in your Bible? If it was good for them.....

Old 09-25-2010, 04:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
They need to legalize polygamy. I wouldn't be against polygamy pride parades either. BTW I am not a polygamist.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:23 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,023 times
You have a classic false anology. To take your argument one step further, if a man and a woman can marry why not a man and two women and leave the gay thing out?

Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
There are practical reasons to oppose polygamy. One is the social instability it might engender. If one male monopolizes all the females (or vice versa), the males who are left with no partners will not take it...ugh...lying down. There will be hell to pay. The alpha males will have their come-uppance....and it will trigger a never ending cycle of violent reprisals.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM

296 posts, read 228,495 times
The genetic factor is largely a hoax...

Of course if a depressive father marries his depressive daughter,
it is almost certain that the...child will be depressive too...

My simple opinion is...morality.

Morality is consisted of ideas & principles. It is logical,but not scientific...

Scientifically,(almost ) nothing is wrong with polygamy & incest...

Morally,

in polygamy,
you dissolve & dissect your love to many persons,
you win in quantity but you lose in quality .
A woman loses in ego & possesion.

In incest,
you lose patenal love,continuity.bond.
You may win in sexual love,but the family bond is irreparably damaged.
You end up with a spouse,but not a daughter/son...

The character,icon,symbol,personality of the parent & of the child is destroyed...

That's why a healthy family is founded on the doctrine..

" We don't f *ck each other here " .

That should happen literally & ...metaphorically ....

And collectively,as a society,
our political will is to regard polygamy & incest as abnormal,
because...they are
& keep them illegal,because...it is the right thing to do...

Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I don't see anything wrong with polygamy, or the more modern term, polyamory (which doesn't have the sexist connotations polygamy does). Incest has also had to happen in any bottle-neck society. Anywhere where only a few people have survived or immigrated to an area, that area has been populated via, you guessed it, incest.

I want to make clear that this doesn't justify any sexual behavior. The key to what makes sexual behavior moral, IMO, is consent. If a brother and sister consent, it's not immoral. It's genetically unfavorable and highly unlikely in today's context, where there are billions of non-relatives to choose from. But given certain situations, it may be the only option. If two men or two women love each other, or if more than two people all love each other, or if two people love each other and agree to allow each other to love and other people as well, then I don't see anything immoral about that.

On the other hand, anything non-consensual, such as incestuous rape, polygamy where it is only the choice of one member or some members but not agreed upon by all, or any sort of non-consensual sexual relation is immoral. That includes standard heterosexual relations--if there is any element of non-consent in it, then it is immoral IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies