Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia12345678910 View Post
That's why young people even go ''That's so gay!''. Because truly it is stupid. Trying to put two men or two women in the same place as a man and a woman.
Care to extend your analysis back to when the popular expression for a dumb idea was "that's so lame"? People with mobility issues are stupid?

The reason today's kids say "that's so gay" is because they've heard friends say it, they've heard friends and family mock homosexuals, and no adult has bothered to correct them.

There was also the expression said by whites to others who did something admirable, kind, or otherwise commendable, "that's mighty white of you." I hope you don't take that expression to be relevant to some fundamental truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
All Christians are bewildered.

I think you meant Sauron .

All humanity is bewildered in fact, except for those who trust in God. Thanks for the correction on Sauron. I haven't read the Trilogy since it was required reading for the "counter-culture" in the '60s.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
There really is nothing similar.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
All humanity is bewildered in fact, except for those who trust in God. Thanks for the correction on Sauron. I haven't read the Trilogy since it was required reading for the "counter-culture" in the '60s.
I would disagree with that first statement. From what I've seen in six decades, those who claim to put all trust in God seem to be some of the most confused. (And BTW, I am Christian myself.)
As for the Trilogy, I never read it until about 10 years ago, just before the first movie came out. I've since read it at least ten times. And watched the movies once a week since I got them all on DVD a few years ago.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
It isn’t. There is absolutely no comparison between the two whatsoever otherwise blacks would be protesting in support of homosexual marriage in the streets and they are not doing this. When or where were homosexuals ever considered property, bought or sold as slaves, and considered 3/5 of a person? A homosexual person of any race can easily blend in unnoticed and “pass†as a normal straight whereas for a person of color passing is not achieved so easily or if at all. The homosexual proponents would like for their agenda to be regarded with as much fervor and enthusiasm as the black civil rights issue had and still has but we continue to discover that the general public is not quite so enthused.
That's nonsense. The point of civil rights is was and shall ever be about equality and individual rights guarded evenhandedly. Gays have not had equal protection of their rights to exist (no matter what you think of them personally). Blacks and women unwilling to support gay rights seem to believe as men did that only they may have their rights. Any citizen loses their rights in this country, we all lose. The last vestige of being in non compliance with our constitution is happening with gays, and this needs to end.

Anyone who doesn't care for gay marriage ought not to be marrying gays or peering through their bedroom windows. Gays have been marrying hetero women for bogus social reasons that never should have been. Leave gays alone to live their life unless you mean to start paying their bills. Gays leave hetero women alone, that's cruel and unusual punishment to feign affection & don't care how badly you want that promotion. It's just wrong. Let everyone be responsible for their own lives and enough with the sibling rivalry BS.

As for the perks of marriage... I agree with stan the perks need to be put to an end even if I do support and honor marriage as a meaningful life path people choose to commit themselves. It makes me very happy to see a couple arrive at their 30th anniversary. As for the rest of you... if you're getting married for the money or career you're the last person anyone wants to support. Have there been enough incidents where people sold marriage for a green card? How does everyone feel about 2 jr military members getting married just for the perks on a buddy system (but had no actual commitment to one another, not even boyfriend girlfriend)? So really these people who claim to want america to support marriage by providing these perks... you've really cheapened it's worth more than a little by your own doing. Then there's that ugly divorce rate. Where is the statistic determining the longevity of marriages made in Vegas since it's been quick and easy like any other vice?

I believe it should be made harder for anyone to get married save for offering a fast track marriage due to military deployment orders for those who were already engaged. Marriages made under duress is a handicap for them and I'd advise people against it.

Perhaps concoct a federal fee/ tax that recovers the amount of $$$$ we collectively spend on police officers responding to domestic disputes just to let y'all know how disgusting your version of foreplay really IS to the rest of us. I think that's fair. Do I really want to see govt or even religion dictating marriage? No, and any standard you'd create would be unenforceable by clergy or cop anyway. I want nothing to do with what goes on between consenting adults save for when their marriage becomes 'our' problem.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
There was also the expression said by whites to others who did something admirable, kind, or otherwise commendable, "that's mighty white of you." I hope you don't take that expression to be relevant to some fundamental truth.
Pssst. I've only heard that expression used sarcastically to describe sanctimonious white folks convinced they're doing someone a favor. In other words, no compliment intended, but we digress...

Old 09-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've met just as many incompetent white women as women of color. It's a corporate problem not a minority issue. 1) hire quality people 2) train 3) manage by objectives.
You're too stuck in your own fishbowl. Make yourself a student of how money is made for starters because governance and commerce are separate things even if they're in bed with each other too often. Once you're done with that make yourself a student of the difference in culture between small biz and corporate behemoths. Then make yourself a student of job requirement difference for traditional labor vs mgmt. Then we can talk. Claiming to want equality but not treating others as equals makes you a hypocrite.

As juror I've got to say you have a meritless case leveled onto commerce unless all the criteria put upon those white hetero guys you fixate on have been met and still a pay disparity persists. Should a job be perfectly suited for a dwarf and there are no black dwarfs in existence, it's not some vast right wing scheme out to get anyone. There will come a time when you'll be forced to realize the nature of your arguments and methods of persuasion have been a gigantic red flag for the rest of us. I don't reject gay rights. I reject your entitlement attitude, your lack of commitment to fairplay, your abusive back biting habits... your peers could stand to draw up a list. Your motives are about vengeance, not about parity/ fairness for all. You're in a p*ssing contest with the devil you've named and parrot the behavior idiotically believing yourself righteous. In other words you actively promote the very thing you claim to hate then wonder why nothing changes. Peace protests that devolve into violence are a joke and a half. This is the way your own behavior is your worst enemy.

Want ads posted a job for truck driver/ delivery. The ad listed a vague region of the city for company HQ. No name, no fax # or address. It wasn't a typo or a moron manager writing the ad. It's called a vetting process and I give a huge thumbs up because hiring Mr Wrong costs more than you can imagine. A delivery man spending half the day lost, begging the secretary on the phone, harassing customers for directions means what? The vetting process for mgmt is unwritten and requires an acute sense of awareness- tugging the threads of a grander fabric. There is no handholding of CEO's training them. Ask yourself why.

There was a day and age where what you describe was in place. A clear path and a climate in commerce that encouraged upward mobility. That was dispensed with when business paradigms changed in 80's. Then we all became equally left to fend for ourselves in a climate of negative competition & price fixing on wages for the majority to serve the interests of the minority. The language of resumes had to sell how much we could potentially make for a company. The same asset of experience and longevity on a resume became a liability of retirement. Fair? Hell no! I was younger and technically it didn't apply to me, but factually it did apply to all of us being punished by criteria that denied any value to experience & company loyalty. If they'd throw that old guy (he was 50) under a bus, they'd do it to anyone, including minorities. He deserved my support and defense and he got it 100%. To hell with any spiteful bitty telling me I'm a traitor to my gender because THAT is the very bigotry women have been fighting.

Crabs in a barrel never do get around to taking hold of themselves and quit blaming all around them for the elements we endure equally. Men showed me enough respect to teach me this and as a woman I'm eternally grateful they did because it is, was, and shall ever be all about people taking responsibility for themselves. Operating as disparate factions trying to outdo each other with domination is NOT American. Your own issues jaundice your eye to the core meaning of liberty and rights. Your BS is trojan horsed onto a good cause the very same way social conservatives justify using the Bible as a brickbat. The same way 'shoot em all let god sort em out' nutters glom onto NRA with affinity. You're all ignorant beyond belief and ripe targets for exploitation. Voice of moderate majority... case dismissed. Your lack of commitment to good faith negotiations betrayed you. I've been very generous sharing this explanation for the sake of the greater good & actual equality specified by constitution but if you came at me with your arguments/attitude displayed in this thread, here's how it would play out on the job:

Leave my office. I've got my own work.
(I'm unwilling to have my ears abused by mental patients and I'm unwilling to be your mommy.)

Get the picture yet?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:16 PM

128 posts, read 130,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
i feel like someone's following me
That feeling us called mentally challenged, and there are institutions for you.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
If you think that denying same-sex couples the right to marry is somehow good for society, you're delusional, and obviously motivated by a desire to oppress others. You're insecure, and feel threatened by the mere idea of giving others the same rights that you take for granted. You're weak, and pathetic.

People who are secure about who they are don't give a flip about gays marrying.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Ask some people who are both black and gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies