Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you read long threads/posts that are longer than 3 paragraphs
yes, I'll read War and Peace if you post it 15 33.33%
no, make it short and sweet, otherwise I'm outta here 27 60.00%
sorry, your post was too long for me to read 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:33 PM

767 posts, read 489,477 times

Advertisements

I don't. I'm too busy to read through someone's dissertation. I view this forum the same way I view television, if you don't get my attention in 10 seconds, I'm changing the channel. What do you folks think?

Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Yes, if it is run on, I scroll to the next post.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
You may find this old thread helpful. But I really don't like your voting options....so I opt out>>>>>
"To Tell The Truth":Do You Read Just Thread Titles Or Also The Opening Posters Thread Before You Respond?

Old 09-25-2010, 11:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'd give a well structured but lengthly comment a look and can usually tell within the first sentence or two if it's worth it. I would rather read a long but thoughtful comment than a stupid one liner from someone who thinks they are posting the funniest come back in the world.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
If I ask a question I want a detailed answer. And I answer the same. I would rather a long well researched post then several that are "what ifs" and "because"
I also require any conversation to be able to show there source of information if applied.

Last edited by Dewmik; 09-26-2010 at 12:17 AM..

Old 09-25-2010, 11:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
If I ask a question I want a detailed answer. And answer the same. I would rather a long well researched post then several that are "what ifs" and "because"
I also require any conversation to be able to show there source of information if applied.
I tend to have the same reasons but in a nutshell-- whatever opinion anyone has I'd like to know the basis of that opinion. It's nice when it's formally qualified, but I won't dismiss the little girl letting air out of the tires of a tractor trailer stuck in a tunnel. Experts are made experts by solving problems and anyone with a good idea is welcome company.

Leaning on one liners-- that's something like claiming to have read a book when you only looked at the pictures as functional illiterates do. Nobody actually learns anything from that and meaningful conversations can't happen. Interesting the way this poll is running 50/50. My interpretation is that half of the poli forum is in it for gaming/ entertainment, the other half in it for more substantive reasons.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:05 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
If I'm involved in a thread I read all the posts long or short. It's the least I can do as I write some pretty extensive soapbox speeches myself sometimes. I also try and read the links too, so I know where the poster is coming from. I guess I need a life. Whenever I get an infraction it's usually because of some snarky one liner.

Last edited by mohawkx; 09-26-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 12:12 AM

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It's nice when it's formally qualified, but I won't dismiss the little girl letting air out of the tires of a tractor trailer stuck in a tunnel. Experts are made experts by solving problems and anyone with a good idea is welcome company.
I want to know why the girl was in the tunnel, where he parents are and was she put up to it.
To many times someone says something then to find out a week later after everyone's vilified the girl that her parents made her do it.

Miss quotes are also an issue. changing what people said in hopes that it won't be verified simply to get people to take your side.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
For the most part, I prefer brevity. Unless you're describing a number of different scenarios in the OP, you should be able to be brief. If I have any questions over something you may not have addressed, I can ask.

The "wall of text" is indeed annoying.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
I want to know why the girl was in the tunnel, where he parents are and was she put up to it.
To many times someone says something then to find out a week later after everyone's vilified the girl that her parents made her do it.

Miss quotes are also an issue. changing what people said in hopes that it won't be verified simply to get people to take your side.
Yes I do understand exactly what you mean. Take that snapshot- it can only tell you so much but people lean too hard on it and their imaginations fill in blanks with the scariest conclusions. Add on the ability to photo shop and now that same snapshot means what exactly?

Human beings seem too geared to selling a story. The use of manipulation to 'win' seems more important than facts to too many people. Tacky popularity contests at the expense of the truth. I'm more bothered by that than the length of a post.

The love of brevity-- a mighty fine art. I don't see how it's possible for complex subjects in a forum where there are no prerequisites of education, experience, etc. The need for brevity could be solved by keeping the question simple, get your simple answers, and be happy on the shallow end of the pool. I'm here for breadth and depth, but wish I could edit out the BS walking talking political billboards some posters regurgitate ad nauseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies