Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What he is doing is borderline if not gone way past a level of harassment.
Really? Then we would expect him to be charged for picketing outside his house? Or writing nasty things on his blog?

That's absurd to say what he has done is illegal. He's never spoken to the student.

He's guilty of expressing unpopular views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
As an individual he can say or write anything he darn well pleases. As the assistent State AG his speech is severely restricted because of his responsibility to be a fair prosecuter. He has to pick one responsiblity or the other. He cannot do both.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM

dupe

Old 09-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As an individual he can say or write anything he darn well pleases. As the assistent State AG his speech is severely restricted because of his responsibility to be a fair prosecuter. He has to pick one responsiblity or the other. He cannot do both.
Where is it "severely restricted"? Is there some sort of code?

And since he's broken some regulation...why hasn't he been punished?

Maybe the case is Michigan has no such policy about religious based speech on non work hours?

Do you think that is possible?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
This guy is taking the fast train to Ted Haggard-ville.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
sounds like there's more to this story than CNN is willing to report.
I agree. I think too many reporters in general have not dug into this mentality deeply enough. I wish CNN would deeply question this man about his beliefs that a truly heterosexual man could conceivably be 'seduced' into a homosexual lifestyle.

You're either gay or not, and I can't speak for anyone else's interpretation of leviticus but I took it to mean that it's grossly inappropriate for a hetero to live out homosexuality as if it were an optional menu choice item. They didn't have to specify that woman may not lie with woman for me to understand it's wrong for me to use my sexuality as a sport by engaging in lesbianism when I'm not gay. I would be untrue to myself if I engaged in it but at the same time I feel no compulsion to hate gays.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Default Another closet case: State attorney launches bizarre Internet war on openly gay college student

Quote:
Assistant Attorney General Andrew Shirvell has called student Chris Armstrong a "pervert" and "Satan's representative" on his blog, and admits to protesting outside the 21-year-old's home. He scours Armstrong's Facebook page and Armstrong's friends' Facebook pages and posts defaced photos of Armstrong on his site.
Quote:
Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox, Shirvell's boss, provided a written statement to CNN calling Shirvell's opinions "his alone," not those of the AG's office. "But his immaturity and lack of judgment outside the office are clear," Cox's statement added. Cox declined to comment further.
State attorney launches bizarre Internet war on openly gay college student | The Upshot Yahoo! News - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100929/us_yblog_upshot/state-attorney-launches-bizarre-internet-war-on-openly-gay-college-student - broken link)

Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
Really?

Right Wing Bigot Assistant AG of Michigan goes after college student labels him Homosexual Activist, says he is Satan

Old 09-29-2010, 03:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
What the hell? Why would he go after a college student? What's the obsession with a college kid? I don't get it.
Then I theorize that Cox is a deeply closeted case, who secretly has the hots for Armstrong but resents such awful feelings and is trying to get back at this college kid for making him feel gay.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
This guy is taking the fast train to Ted Haggard-ville.
I think I muttered WTF at least 20 times watching the interview. This guy is clearly disturbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies