Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
They don't have to. It's simply amusing that instead of sweeping her fat heap of pride under the carpet for a few minutes, she chose to make a newsworthy issue out of her business. Maybe it will work in her favor. In rural Indiana, it may work in her favor.
You think she's the one that alerted the media?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 PM

54 posts, read 56,053 times
Yes they should have the right to refuse service to anyone they don't want in their business.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:10 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I'm no liberal, and I don't typically support the activities of these groups, but you're completely wrong that private businesses can do whatever they want.
Yes, they do. As LuckyGem pointed out, a private business reserves the right to refuse service to anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
I'm sure most of you that vilify the bakery also slammed the rite-aid store in N.J. that refused to make the birthday cake for the kid named Hitler by his parents a couple years ago.
Exactly. Remember this story? Win-Dixie's Confederate flag cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
So, that bakery better make those cupcakes OR ELSE!!

Yea, intimidation and extortion make great public policy!

No "tolerance" for the bakery owners! No matter how stupid I think the bakery owners are - they have the right not to be harrassed.
+1.

Sadly, liberal extremists are out to terrorize anybody who doesn't agree with their lifestyles and values. So much for live and let live.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:10 PM

58,960 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I think using the children as an excuse to disguise their fear of someone who's sexual preference is different than their own is disgusting.
It is their right as business owners to refuse who they want but, one can hope they will pay for their bigotry by suffering loss of revenue.
They are idiots.
Why is is gays ALWAYS say because someone doesn't agree with their lifestyle that is FEAR? Grow up.

The owner of a private business has EVERY RIGHT to refuse to make a special order.

Go into a Chinese restaurant and order a pepperoni pizza.

Order a gyro at a French restaurant.

They don't have to make anything special if they don't want to.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
If you own the business yourself you are allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Call your local sheriff and ask them your local laws.

If it is self owned business the owner can refuse you and ask you to leave.

No law that I know of forces a self owned business to sell a product to someone they do not want to.

Doesnt matter if they are gay, green, yellow or weird, if the owner feels they do not want to sell to that person out the door you go.

Risky business but they have the right to refuse anyone they wish.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Liberals playing the victim card again. And who ran to cry and tattletale to the media after this non-incident happened, hmm? Somebody with a gay agenda perhaps?
What is this "gay agenda" you guys are always talking about? Austrian drapes? Rainbow cupcakes? What's the secret agenda of the homosexuals in this country?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
this is a tricky one.
the bakery probably does have the right to refuse service to people. but WHAT is that refusal based on? they cant refuse service because some one is black or because someone is a woman, but can they refuse service because someone is gay (under the guise of morality)?
is being gay a protected class of person when it comes to discrimination. i thought it was. it is in housing and employment.

that being the case the bakery would be wrong for refusing service based on a persons sexualit orientation [aka protected status].

Old 09-29-2010, 06:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
So, that bakery better make those cupcakes OR ELSE!!

Yea, intimidation and extortion make great public policy!

No "tolerance" for the bakery owners! No matter how stupid I think the bakery owners are - they have the right not to be harrassed.
Customers are intimidating? Do you even know the meaning of that word extortion? Harrassment isn't happening to paying customers?

No, it's not intimidation or extortion. I simply want a cupcake. Isn't that what bakeries do? If it hurts their feelings that I show up to their store asking for it, and they find themselves embarrassed by their own policy that they've published for the world to see, perhaps that's their own problem???

No one is obliged to tolerate abuse. Nobody has the right to abuse another. Being a customer isn't abuse. It's business, not personal opinions pushed upon people. Somewhere down main street another bakery will open up selling rainbow cupcakes because a demand has just been created, and less will have a need to go to a bakery that has political issues with food dye.

It's a good thing our military & gov't isn't run in a way that gives them the right to pick and chose which states deserve defense and which states don't. It's a good thing I served all of you equally, regardless of my personal ideology, and regardless of the select few of you with utter hatred of women. I served you anyway as my duty no matter what an ingrate you were. NEXT!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:56 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Yes, they do. As LuckyGem pointed out, a private business reserves the right to refuse service to anybody.
I must have missed the news the day that LuckyGem took over.

You're both wrong. I don't have a horse in the race, but no, you can't just refuse service to anybody just because you want to refuse them. It's not that simple anymore.

They don't have to make rainbow cupcakes for this group if that's not what they do. But you can't just refuse service to people when you don't agree with them. So far they haven't crossed that line, and sometimes the line is blurry. The line, however, does exist.

Quote:
Sadly, liberal extremists are out to terrorize anybody who doesn't agree with their lifestyles and values. So much for live and let live.
I'm not a liberal extremist or any kind of a liberal. But every now and then someone comes along here and posts something like "It's my business and I can do whatever I want", or "It's my house, and if I don't want to sell it to a _______ I don't have to.", and it's just factually incorrect.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbug View Post
Shouldn't Bakery Be Allowed to Refuse Gays? | The Stir

Bigotry in the baking business

Owner
Owner
Some people are a bit too weird. Refusing to make rainbow cupcakes????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies