Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 06:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

I think everyone on all political sides should agree that what the roommate did was very wrong and it is a shame that the kid killed himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
the bolded part is unnecessary.

But agree it is bad parenting.

Wonder where these kids learn to hate so much.
Kids can be very, very cruel. This is really nothing new. I think we hear more about it because of near instant media. Kids, gay or straight, are bullied to the point of suicide or to being socially disfunctionional, be the bullies fellow students or be they adults. It was within the past two years in my state when a mother co-bullied one of her daughter's classmates on the internet to the point she committed suicide.

Plain and simple we the people have to get our state lawmakers on bord with passing the necessary laws to make bullying, sexual harrassment among minors, and cyberstalking, a crime on the FIRST occurrance.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 09-30-2010 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
I think if it was so easy to just toughen up and stand up to bullies, people would be doing that already. Obviously that is incredibly stupid meaningless advice.

This is a combined responsibility between parents and their children. All the bullies I have even known as a child or adult, the parents were fully aware of their childs bullying tendencies, and either were bullies themselves, or were incapable/unwilling to do anything about it. Why are we placing so much emphasis on the victims as if they are somehow responsible. If they were confident assertive people, then sure they wouldn't get picked on. That's why bullies carefully select vulnerable targets. It's not their fault.

I see CNN has a series of programs on bullying next week.

Here are some interesting perspectives:
http://glaadblog.org/2010/09/30/rutgers-tragedy-4th-lgbt-teen-suicide-in-september/

Why did Tyler Clementi die? - CNN.com

Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryC View Post
Being short is something else. And as I already said, look at the post here. There are parents who don't care or can't do anything, anymore.

So now if you're bullied because you're short it's not the same as if you're gay? What's the difference, being bullied because of your size,sex,weight or anything else is all the same!

Like Bent I was small and was bullied at times but I stood up for myself and earned RESPECT. When you show them weakness they'll only do it more. Again,it's not right but it's been going on forever and something needs to start at home along with the schools getting more involved!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is the fault of the parents, who are in no way a victim here. They are the failure.
I agree. IMO, our job as parents, first and foremost and above everything else, is to raise our offspring to become people of good character with compassion for others and who will bring something positive to the world.

You can encourage your kid to be a great student, play team sports, or be the best at whatever they do, as the parents of the two Rutgers students who pulled that crap on that poor boy probably did, but if you didn't teach your kid to be a good person, you failed.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
No. Parents need to teach their kids NOT to bully.

Teach kids not to be a target?

Are you serious?
Yes, actually both are appropriate.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM

95 posts, read 141,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I agree with all of the above except what sort of case they would have against the University? Really, the University did nothing wrong here....I mean, why not sue the ISP, web cam manufacturer and whomever irresponsibly built something taller than 8 feet that he managed to jump off of?

It may be argued that the University set themselves up for this kind of situation.

Internet connection in the Dorms, Inadequate screening process for room mate placement, failure to respond quickly, etc..

It is quite possible the RA on the floor had an idea this had happened, and didn't reach out to help this kid or notify campus police. And yes, the University has a basic obligation to the general safety & welfare of the students living in their facilities.

If their is a lawsuit, I am sure Rutgers will be named in some way.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, actually both are appropriate.
right, but who teaches their kids to be targets?
Really
How would you teach your kid to not be a target? To not be themselves?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 PM

128 posts, read 130,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
So now if you're bullied because you're short it's not the same as if you're gay? What's the difference, being bullied because of your size,sex,weight or anything else is all the same!

Like Bent I was small and was bullied at times but I stood up for myself and earned RESPECT. When you show them weakness they'll only do it more. Again,it's not right but it's been going on forever and something needs to start at home along with the schools getting more involved!

Who bullies someone because he's short? And even if, who would bully this person as severe as a gay person? Exactly. And you never earned yourself any respect. You were probably a wimp who didn't even know how to deal with those issues any other than "fighting back".

Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think everyone on all political sides should agree that what the roommate did was very wrong and it is a shame that the kid killed himself.
Agreed!

I believe what the roommate and his girlfriend did was a felony, they will probably get 1-5 years in prison.

I know 18 years old is supposed to be considered an adult, but they are still kids, still very immature.

How people cannot see the tragic nature of this event escapes me. what the two kids did by recording the boy and broadcasting it live on the internet was a disgusting and callus act by a couple of thoughtless bullies. I hope both of these kids get whatever the maximum punishment there is. It may sound harsh to some folks, but I think these two kids need to be made an example of, so we can end this type of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies