Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
So if you film a couple having sex in public, you would be committing a crime even if it were evidence of a crime they were committing?

Are there any provisions for this being inside one's own domicile?

Say if one spouse filmed the other withouse consent? How could there even be any evidence presented given of the prohibitions upon spousal testimony against the other?
Spouses are not prohibited from testifying against the other. The prohibition is on the court in that they cannot be forced to testify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
This may not be the stone age, but there are still too many in this world whose attitudes belong there. And I'm talking about the attitudes of so-called loved ones that would drive a young man to guard his personal life to the point where having it posted to the internet would completely destroy him. Not knowing this young man's family, I don't know what their beliefs about homosexuality or anything else might be. But the fact that he chose not to confront them tells me they didn't know he was gay and that knowing their attitudes (as only a child of theirs could know) he didn't want them to know. And the posting of that video to the internet meant that, despite his wishes, they were likely to find out. Obviously he thought suicide was preferable to living with his parents having that knowledge at this time.
There's a story being developed about this young man that may not have any relation to the facts. Do we know that this young man was a homosexual, or bisexual, or experimenting? College students do experiment. Do we know whether this young man was guarding his personal life from his family, or had he discussed his sexuality with them? Do we know what their response may have been if he'd discussed that with them, or what it would have been if he'd been planning to discuss it with them in the future? Do we know if this young man had other issues that were troubling him? People who knew him described him as quiet but happy. Was that a mask that he wore, was he a deeply unhappy person who hid it well? The thing is, we don't know very much about any of these people. The young man who killed himself was evidently hiding a lot of things about himself from others. The roommate and his girlfriend have only shown a callous humor that is not that unusual for people at this age. The family, for obvious reasons, has asked for privacy and sensitivity. I think we should be cautious about being clear when we are speculating about the people involved, versus when he are talking about facts in evidence.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Really? The the title, look at the top of your screen. Typing goodbye on Facebook, then jumping out a window doesn't signify mental illness?
With every post you merely prove you haven't read or seen any of the news reports about this story. He didn't jump out a window! He jumped from the George Washington bridge! And whether he was or wasn't 'mentally ill, is beside the point - his roommate filmed him without permission then posted that film on the internet, again without permission. The state of New Jersey has already stated that this is an illegal invasion of privacy and charged the roommate. And they are considering upping the charge to a hate crime.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
With every post you merely prove you haven't read or seen any of the news reports about this story. He didn't jump out a window! He jumped from the George Washington bridge! And whether he was or wasn't 'mentally ill, is beside the point - his roommate filmed him without permission then posted that film on the internet, again without permission. The state of New Jersey has already stated that this is an illegal invasion of privacy and charged the roommate. And they are considering upping the charge to a hate crime.
I really think they are considering it only because of the amount of public attention this has garnered, and political pressure. The invasion of privacy and the suicide are separate events. This young man didn't leave a suicide note, so the relationship between the two things is tenuous, and difficult to establish in a court of law. It's also very difficult to establish bias. The roommate and his girlfriend, according to people who know them, did not have a bias against gay people. I'm sure the prosecutors are looking into it, but these are young people. They violated someone's privacy, definitely, their actions were hurtful and distressing, and the fact that they were oblivious to how hurtful and distressing their actions were is a testament to their character. But is there any evidence that they targeted this young man because of his sexuality, more than the evidence that they targeted him because they had access?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Quote:
Spouses are not prohibited from testifying against the other. The prohibition is on the court in that they cannot be forced to testify.
Wrong. If they are still married, they cannot even testify even if they wanted to. After a marriage,they cannot be compelled to testify for statements made during the marriage.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Yes, when you are taping someone other than yourself without their permission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
In your own home?
Makes no difference where it happens. It is the lack of permission or consent that makes it a crime.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Makes no difference where it happens. It is the lack of permission or consent that makes it a crime.
So filming someone in public, like all over youtube is a crime? You know, someone filming a fight or something like that, is committing a crime?

If the person filmed has darling status with the left, is that when it's elevated to a hate crime?

Is it a crime to film an accused being led up to the courthouse? He hasn't been convicted of ANYTHING at that point, and I have no doubt he doesn't want to be filmed.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
does anyone know if the other guy in the video has filed a complaint of invasion of privacy ?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
I'm shocked by how many people here think that secretly filming your roommate having sex isn't morally and criminally wrong. How would you feel if someone filmed you having sex? Taking a shower? Going to the bathroom? Changing?

And for all the people who say, "Being gay isn't a big deal. People don't care." Considering that gay marriage is only legal in 5 states plus DC and Don't Ask, Don't Tell wasn't repealed, I'm going to say that people are still making a big deal out of someone being gay. Also, most people (straight or gay) would be upset about their sex act being broadcast online. They could easily be sent to thousands of people, your friends, family, employers, neighbors could see it, etc.

And yes, even in college, you have the right to privacy! I think all the insensitive comments here are a result of homophobia.
Not sure I would lay all of the insensitivity on homophobia because some of those remarks have come from posters who usually argue for gay rights. And no, I don't understand the insensitivity either. At this point all I can do is hope no one from this boy's family is reading this site and seeing those incredibly insensitive remarks.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Not sure I would lay all of the insensitivity on homophobia because some of those remarks have come from posters who usually argue for gay rights. And no, I don't understand the insensitivity either. At this point all I can do is hope no one from this boy's family is reading this site and seeing those incredibly insensitive remarks.
When I was in college, before they had digital video, we had a gay peeper in our dorm, who would peep on you while you were taking a shower. People would complain to the RA and RD of the dorm, and we were just told to "deal with it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies