Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 05:49 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your story doesn't say that the men recorded her having sex, only that someone using a cell phone recorded parts of the encounter which indicated that the sex was consensual. Her version of what transpired did not match the men's account, and was contradicted by the cell phone recording one of the guys made, as well as by security footage by cameras on the Hofstra campus.

Since you claim to be an attorney, you should research things more carefully before asserting something like, "they filmed her having sex without her permission." That statement is not supported by the facts.
If she knew about the film, why would she make the accusation that could be so easily proven false? She didn't know it existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 05:57 PM

425 posts, read 366,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't think he was totally out yet. You have to feel comfortable to come out otherwise it leads to problems. He probably wasn't ready for his parents and family to find out yet. I heard that his roommate was bullying and harrasing him for a few weeks after he found out he was gay. It also seems like he was trapped and had no one to talk to. Its a sad story and thats why its getting so much attention.
No matter how well trained a young adult can be housing young adult males who are heterosexual with homosexual males in dorm rooms is poor chemistry. There are a number of instances situationally where homosexuals and heterosexual men are mixed in close quarters that wouldn't be tolerated if it were male and female . Poor protocol to say the least.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I suppose it is a crime in certain cities to film people without their permission. It's just odd to me how this is getting so much airplay simply because the guy was gay. If I had been him, I'd have said so what- I'm GAY...show the damn thing, who cares? Why is he so ashamed? Be gay already.
But you weren't him.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
No matter how well trained a young adult can be housing young adult males who are heterosexual with homosexual males in dorm rooms is poor chemistry. There are a number of instances situationally where homosexuals and heterosexual men are mixed in close quarters that wouldn't be tolerated if it were male and female . Poor protocol to say the least.
Since he hadn't come out, and possibly didn't see himself as gay, maybe he didn't tick the "Gay" box on the roommate form.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Since he hadn't come out, and possibly didn't see himself as gay, maybe he didn't tick the "Gay" box on the roommate form.
Poor protocol none the less. After all this time / social change this poor fellow should have had the foresight to make some changes in his living situation . It is a tragedy and the thing that is so sad is that even with this being plastered all over the web, it could happen again. Why ? I reckon if dorm monitors and the folks who oversee them got involved on that level they would be harassed for doing so. Students need to be thoroughly interviewed and should be expected to be up front whether they like it or not. If they cant be they shouldn't be putting themselves in that kind of situation in the first place as that is what triggers the tragic element of it all.

It is unrealistic to expect young adults who's characters are being formed from reacting to social programming that is contrary to their nature. I have no doubt that it is the intent of many intitutions to force forms of compliance upon young adults as a form of social conditioning. What this kid did by putting his room mate on streaming was an act of rebellion like it or not whether the kid is fully aware of it or not.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope. ~
Steven Deitz

Old 10-01-2010, 06:55 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope. ~
Steven Deitz
I don't think roommates have any form of oaths or loyalties. It's not uncommon at all for college roommates to not get along.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
The two kids can be prosecuted for the max sentence of an invasion of privacy crime, nothing more.

Would there be outrage if the kid wasn't weak and killed himself? No, of course not. Stuff like this happens thousands of times a day in the United States, but when a rich white kid kills himself, society needs someone to blame.

Maybe the parents should go to jail too, for not raising him right. Or maybe put the contractors who built the GW Bridge in jail, that thing is way too tall and it enabled his suicide.

Look at all the web cams, red light cams, store cameras - our government invades our privacy all the time. Plus people put up camcorders or surveillance cameras to see what babysitters or their kids are up to. There's a show called Cheaters were privacy is invaded.

What they did wasn't very nice - but how illegal is it to leave your computer on and your webcam going in your own dorm room?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Look at all the web cams, red light cams, store cameras - our government invades our privacy all the time. Plus people put up camcorders or surveillance cameras to see what babysitters or their kids are up to. There's a show called Cheaters were privacy is invaded.

What they did wasn't very nice - but how illegal is it to leave your computer on and your webcam going in your own dorm room?
Some things a defense team will be considering in depth. This story could easily be buried by other current events and then the people involved in the prosecution will have to review their options in a less public at large light.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What about the legal aspects? Is it allowed to publish a video of a specific person without asking their permission to do so? Where I come from it is not even allowed to publish a photo of a specific person without their permission. In some African countries superstitious people can kill you for even taking their photo and thus their soul...
I think so. You can be on a web cam without even knowing it, there are webcams where the viewer over the internet can zoom in, keep snapshots. It can be entirely without your knowledge.

Look at Google Earth - there are people who are recognizable on many street scenes and most likely most have no idea they're on there.

And what if you're filming your kids playing in a park and others happen to be there and get in the video - I believe it can be published. I've also seen the videos people took of abusive babysitters - legal I think because they put the cameras up in their own homes but how is that so different than a dorm room web cam?

At least in the past, cameras were bigger and noticeable - so even at family events you could tell if someone was about to start filming but now they can pretend to be using their cell phone and be filming without anyone's knowledge and I doubt any law prevents them from publishing.

This issue seems to come down to certain acts. As long as sex videos can legally be posted without a lot of signed consents, it doesn't seem illegal.

So then to get laws - obviously people sitting around a kitchen table having dinner wouldn't be illegal even if embarassing or unflattering. People at a backyard party on private property just sitting around smiling wouldn't have a lawsuit.

That means sex situations would have to be considered special - and then you're going to have to start defining which ones are and which ones are not. Kissing? Hugging? Fondling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies