Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I had a son who did baseball, football, basketball with various groups and they all did it before a game.
Yeah, but you're a Texan in, Texas!

You should see what the wrestling team in Butte, Montana does before and after a match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Lightbulb My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
FOXNews.com - Pregame Prayers at Pee Wee Football Games Are Out of Bounds, Florida Dad Says
A private, non-government funded, pee-wee football league has a tradition of a voluntary prayer before the game. One parent is fighting to end this practice. His argument is that it should end because the game is being played on city owned football field.
I'm not a lawyer, so I won't pretend to be here in this forum. I don't know if that's the proper legal approach or not.

But here's the reality of that situation...

The directors of that league are applying adult pressure on a bunch of kids. They're making everyone either "be part of the group" by joining in his "voluntary" prayer, or else any nonparticipant is singled out.

The natural reaction by the director and his "faithful" followers?

"Hey! That kid's not one of us!"

A pee-wee football league (unless it's an exclusive church team) is no place for an adult to "lead" other people's kids in any kind of religious observance. The kids aren't there for any kind of religious affirmation. It's a football team. And the article states that it's a county football league.

Coach, stick to the subject. Save your sermon and group-led prayer service for Sunday school. Stop trying to bully little kids with your bible.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I'm not a lawyer, so I won't pretend to be here in this forum. I don't know if that's the proper legal approach or not.

But here's the reality of that situation...

The directors of that league are applying adult pressure on a bunch of kids. They're making everyone either "be part of the group" by joining in his "voluntary" prayer, or else any nonparticipant is singled out.

The natural reaction by the director and his "faithful" followers?

"Hey! That kid's not one of us!"

A pee-wee football league (unless it's an exclusive church team) is no place for an adult to "lead" other people's kids in any kind of religious observance. The kids aren't there for any kind of religious affirmation. It's a football team. And the article states that it's a county football league.

Coach, stick to the subject. Save your sermon and group-led prayer service for Sunday school. Stop trying to bully little kids with your bible.

Do you think the same thing about the team in Dearborn who moved their pratices to the middle of the night to accomodate Muslims? What about the other kids who are not Muslim? Wouldn't this be the same thing? The school is forcing non muslims to obey Muslim faith.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Do you think the same thing about the team in Dearborn who moved their pratices to the middle of the night to accommodate Muslims? What about the other kids who are not Muslim? Wouldn't this be the same thing? The school is forcing non muslims to obey Muslim faith.
This didn't put pressure on anyone to be led in religious observance of any kind. If everyone agreed to do this then I don't see a problem. Time of day itself isn't like praying. This is more like, "hey lets play on that side of the field because player #2 is allergic to the trees on this side of the field". It's an accommodation. But if everyone didn't agree then there would be a problem and they would be within their rights to make a deal out of it of they wanted to.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This didn't put pressure on anyone to be led in religious observance of any kind. If everyone agreed to do this then I don't see a problem. Time of day itself isn't like praying. This is more like, "hey lets play on that side of the field because player #2 is allergic to the trees on this side of the field". It's an accommodation. But if everyone didn't agree then there would be a problem and they would be within their rights to make a deal out of it of they wanted to.
And how exactly do you know that everyone was in agreement? If you mean the school administrators then yeah you're right, but what about the kids? How do you know they agreed? You simply don't.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And how exactly do you know that everyone was in agreement? If you mean the school administrators then yeah you're right, but what about the kids? How do you know they agreed? You simply don't.
I don't Do you? I also stated that if they DIDN'T agree they could speak up. Did you reall all of my post of just skim it?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:16 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Quote:
Do you think the same thing about the team in Dearborn who moved their pratices to the middle of the night to accomodate Muslims?
I don't think anything about it. Never heard of it. Do you have a link that expands on your statement?

Quote:
What about the other kids who are not Muslim?
Are there any on that team?

Quote:
Wouldn't this be the same thing? The school is forcing non muslims to obey Muslim faith.
Nothing you've said indicates that.

On the other hand, the Florida situation about "voluntary" pregame prayer involves an entire league not just a single team.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I don't think anything about it. Never heard of it. Do you have a link that expands on your statement?

Are there any on that team?

Nothing you've said indicates that.

On the other hand, the Florida situation about "voluntary" pregame prayer involves an entire league not just a single team.
So don't participate, it's that damn easy! Are you one of those who wants to ruin everyone else's time because you don't like what is going on?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
So don't participate, it's that damn easy! Are you one of those who wants to ruin everyone else's time because you don't like what is going on?
Because it's open to everyone not just those who want to pray and it's not a religious event in any way shape or form. There is no reason for prayer to be there. NONE. Nobody should HAVE to step aside and not participate, and be singled out... that's just rude. If you only want those who want to pray to join the team then make it a church sponsored program or something.

I know you are not too stupid to grasp this concept so I'm guessing you are just to stubborn to admit you are wrong.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:35 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Atheist here. The football league has a right to pray if they like, as long as they're not publicly funded. Free speech and all. I think prayer is ridiculous and useless, but I'll stand up for the right of this private group to do it as long as they're not using public funds for their team. I'd say the same thing if this group was chanting to Satan, dancing the circle, or paying homage to Allah before playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies