Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times

Advertisements

I belong to a volunteer fire brigade and what gets me is that those who called themselves firefighters did not go and check that there was no one in the house.
A small point but home owners are often confused when their house is on fire.

Both the house owner and the fire chief were at fault here, the house owner for being idiotic over $75 , the fire chief for not saying, sign this bill for $3000 to the house holder as his crew put the fire out.

Would those so called firefighters expect to be pulled out of a burning car in another area if they had paid nothing toward the local brigade ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I belong to a volunteer fire brigade and what gets me is that those who called themselves firefighters did not go and check that there was no one in the house.
A small point but home owners are often confused when their house is on fire.

Both the house owner and the fire chief were at fault here, the house owner for being idiotic over $75 , the fire chief for not saying, sign this bill for $3000 to the house holder as his crew put the fire out.

Would those so called firefighters expect to be pulled out of a burning car in another area if they had paid nothing toward the local brigade ?
You know that from reading the link in the OP? I didn't see that anywhere. This thread has gone on and on, and yet unless some people have done their own research on it, we don't have a lot of facts to go on.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know that from reading the link in the OP? I didn't see that anywhere. This thread has gone on and on, and yet unless some people have done their own research on it, we don't have a lot of facts to go on.
Plenty of facts.
Homeowner was offered services.
Homeowner refused services.
Homeowner is no longer a homeowner.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

I know things have to get paid, but the firefighters did the absolute WRONG thing in this situation. Apparently the area in question makes people pay $75 per year or they don't get fire coverage. I am so glad I don't live anywhere like that. Sure, the firefighters were just following orders, but what if they had put the fire out? Do you honestly think the powers in charge would fire every one of them? Do you know what kind of negative media backlash that would create against the people in charge? I hope the firefighters are happy, because THEY are taking the brunt of the abuse for their bosses. Sometimes you have to question authority and the firefighters did the wrong thing in this situation. They did the same thing as if a doctor stood by and watched someone bleed to death and didn't help because they didn't pay up front.
If you don't pay the annual fee why should those that do pay it cover your deadbeat ass?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

I know things have to get paid, but the firefighters did the absolute WRONG thing in this situation. Apparently the area in question makes people pay $75 per year or they don't get fire coverage. I am so glad I don't live anywhere like that. Sure, the firefighters were just following orders, but what if they had put the fire out? Do you honestly think the powers in charge would fire every one of them? Do you know what kind of negative media backlash that would create against the people in charge? I hope the firefighters are happy, because THEY are taking the brunt of the abuse for their bosses. Sometimes you have to question authority and the firefighters did the wrong thing in this situation. They did the same thing as if a doctor stood by and watched someone bleed to death and didn't help because they didn't pay up front.

Got no problem with that either. No health insurance should mean no treatment.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:

We have a socialized fire department where I live. We all pay for it through taxes but they will come when you call and put out a fire anywhere. But if you live in a fee fire area, you'd best pay up.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah ok, this is sound judgement. Let a house burn down with possibly someone inside over $75.
If you want to be a deadbeat and not support your community institutions, you have no right to expect a rescue from them.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
This was NOT a taxpayer funded fire department, it was a fee-for-membership fire association with regard to the area outside the city limits. They still are common in rural areas, I served in one at one time. There are several reasons for not attacking a non-life threatening fire on a non-member's property. First, in our case, this scenario was discussed with (paying) members of the association, they (who the firefighters work for) were quite adament that we do not fight fires on non-member's property. The equipment and resources they paid for were not to be used for people who refused to pay the minimal association fee. Insurance is another issue, the fire fighters are not covered if they are on non-member property.

The rule exists for a simple reason-without this policy there is no reason for anyone to join until their house is on fire. In which case there is no income, and therefore no fire service.

The homeowner took a gamble and lost, tough luck buddy. Wonder if he did the same on his fire insurance? BTW, the reduction in the cost of insurance when you have coverage is typically far more than the $75 he saved by declining membership. The interesting part will be if he claimed that he had coverage when(if) he got insurance. It would appear that Mr. Cheapskate couldn't be bothered to volunteer his time and effort as a firefighter either. He deserves no sympathy. Just once it would be nice to have a "no-spin" "news" report, rather than playing up the dumb-a** "victim".

BTW, your taxpayer funded fire department probably costs you many times the $75 per year fee from this association.
I am surprised that his home insurance policy did not make him pay the fee or pay the fee for him.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
They were SUPPOSEDLY showing up to put out the neighbors field that had caught on fire because of the first homeowner. The guy with the field fire paid his $75. Really, I think they were there to watch the home burn down.

Look around and see what our country is coming to. Teachers that wont (or can't) teach, doctors that wont heal, police that wont protect, parents that wont parent, a government that wants to put everyone on welfare and firefighters that won't put out fires.
We have a good fire dept where I live. This is not "the norm" to have a private fire department that you have to pay a separate fee for. Most places it is ran like the police department is. Our dept in Smyrna GA has both fire and EMS services that are funded through taxes.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:57 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
This entire fire protection via subscription is ludicrous and setting themselves up for a massive lawsuit. No, not from this particular homeowner because he said flat out he didn't pay it, but next time when someone's home burns down that did pay the fee, but the city clerk didn't file the paperwork properly. This is an EXTREMELY flawed system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies