Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
normally I would agree with this, but since they guy did and does pay property taxes, then both police and fire protection should be included in that. if not, then give the home owner his property taxes back since the time he has owned his home.
As if this hasn't been covered 86 times already in this thread. Here goes the 87th:

He gets a portion of his property taxes "back" by not having to pay them in the first place because he lives outside the city limits. That is why he doesn't get city services. It's also why he doesn't have to pay for them, unless he wants to opt in to the fire protection service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Capitalism is a wonderful thing; it encourages growth & wealth. Unchecked, capitalism will cause a country to implode. I agree that governemnt spending should be reduced greatly. Ah, but the rub is: "Cut gov't spending, but don't touch MY program". And that applies to everyone. I work for a large trucking company and am as fed up as you are with the mindless, faceless bureaucrats that are friggin' clueless about what operating a commercial vehicle takes. They make up rules that do more harm than good. I have NO problem with my bosses being multi-millionaires. It's tough to make a good living in the trucking industry. But "pay-by-the-mile" enables trucking companies to pay drivers for less miles than actually driven, make drivers do more and more related tasks and say "It's included in your mileage rate" instead of paying us honestly. The idea that we have laws & rules that enable employers to cheat their employees (Pay-by-the-Mile, Restaurant Minimum Wage, and "Independent Contractors" that an employer treats just like an employee except they can legally cheat the employee out of benefits AND pay 'em so poorly that they can't even afford those benefits on their own. I guess what befuddles me is that everyone complains about working conditions, but they're not willing to do anything about it. They rally behind the politicians that blow smoke up their butts and call talk show hosts and agree with the trash they put out. And they folow the Tea Party movement, even though the party's platform are long on hot air and short on workable solutions...

I read the Wall Street Journal and I see the ultimate goal: get rid off ALL the unions so that the entrepreneur can contract for everything. That way, he or she (or some investor group) can reduce wages to starvation level and provide service that may not even be as good as the reasonably-paid government employees that previously provided it did. And I'm gonna barf if I hear about how efficient the private sector is compared to government agencies. There's just as much inefficiency, laziness and waste on BOTH sides of the fence.

For a thread about a fire department in TN, this is WAAAY off topic. Have a nice day.
Brother I am tracking you. More than likely, your large trucking company is no doubt VERY similar to my large utility company, and I am on the mobile equipment side of it. We have the highest rate of educated idiots in the state to be sure. In both cases, just as in government, the profits are private and the losses are public. The problem with oversight, regulation, or whatever the catchy name is this week, is who regulates the regulators? So while I will agree that unchecked capitalism causes implosion, I have to say that over-checked capitalism causes American cars to be be built in foreign countries, and so on and so forth until now, the companies that the government has put into a hurt locker are forced to go back to that government on its knees begging for handouts. Again, all profits are private, losses are public. You make a very valid point as well on the contractor issue. We have both here where I am, contractors and union. I'm all for organized labor as a means of keeping tabs on big companies, my only beef with the one here is that they have 30+ years of entitlements and very little work as a recipe for success. They won't stay and work overtime, yet they file if there is a contractor doing something remotely similar to their tasks. Contractors are fired (even good ones) for bumping into something, and the union boys don't even get their wangers smacked. I think it is poor how they treat them here. The double standard is alive and well, I don't give a damn how many catchy jingles they put out about ethics, stewardship, etc. It's ALL smoke and mirrors. I even, yes I'm claiming credit, gave the station here a new slogan: Welcome to XYZ Power Station. We make electricity, we don't make sense. We got no pay raise this year, but did get our bonuses; the CEO's was over 10M. I give him credit for being a sharp guy and all, but 10M?
AND....to top it all off, you know damn well that they are subsidized or credited heavily by government. That’s why they have such a visible diversity campaign. It's sickening to see how tight business and government have become. Big business I should say. So don't think the answer is in big corporate monopolies. The answer is in letting the people choose and the markets decide. I don't think it will work well for companies like yours or mine, but for things on a smaller scale, keep the damn tax consumers out of it.

Okay Folks, you can have your thread back now.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:23 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
As if this hasn't been covered 86 times already in this thread. Here goes the 87th:

He gets a portion of his property taxes "back" by not having to pay them in the first place because he lives outside the city limits. That is why he doesn't get city services. It's also why he doesn't have to pay for them, unless he wants to opt in to the fire protection service.

sorry, not a portion, but all. if they are not willing to put the fire out, then pay it all back.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
sorry, not a portion, but all. if they are not willing to put the fire out, then pay it all back.
Pay all of what back?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Pay all of what back?

all of his property taxes since he has lived in that home.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
all of his property taxes since he has lived in that home.
So I want to see if I understand what you're advocating: because a city he doesn't even live in and doesn't pay taxes to doesn't provide him with city services, he should get a refund on all of the county and school property taxes he's ever paid? Have I got that right? Please explain to me how this makes any kind of sense. Better yet, explain to me how I can get in on this racket of not paying property taxes to government units within whose borders I reside and who provide services to me because other government units in whose borders I don't reside refuse to provide services to me. I've gotta hear this.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Far too noble and neighborly of you. Thanks to the publik skool system and other nanny state propoganda, most folks today believe that the ONLY outfit capable of providing a 'professional service' is a government outfit. Help wears a state issued costume and a badge. Otherwise good samaritans run the risk of prosecution should they attempt to lend a hand.
who told you that?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
So I want to see if I understand what you're advocating: because a city that he doesn't even live in and doesn't pay taxes to doesn't provide him with city services, he should get a refund on his county and school property taxes? Have I got that right? Please explain to me how this makes any kind of sense. Better yet, explain to me how I can get in on this racket of not paying property taxes to government units within whose borders I reside and provide services to me because other government units in whose borders I don't reside refuse to provide services to me. I've gotta hear this.

are property taxes legal?

not really, as if you own your property then you should not be paying anyone taxes or rent on your property you own. I just got done after 6 years of owning my home in Wisconsin and paying off my mortgage, I no longer pay property taxes as I asked for and got an allodial title from the state of Wisconsin. as such, no property taxes are owed and no services are due to me either.

also with an allodial title in my possession, I can no longer ask for a mortgage from any bank either, but i dont want to borrow money on my home anymore.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
are property taxes legal?

not really, as if you own your property then you should not be paying anyone taxes or rent on your property you own. I just got done after 6 years of owning my home in Wisconsin and paying off my mortgage, I no longer pay property taxes as I asked for and got an allodial title from the state of Wisconsin. as such, no property taxes are owed and no services are due to me either.

also with an allodial title in my possession, I can no longer ask for a mortgage from any bank either, but i dont want to borrow money on my home anymore.
OK, now you've wandered into nutbag territory. Good luck persuading your municipal government(s) that "no property taxes are owed."

Old 10-17-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
OK, now you've wandered into nutbag territory. Good luck persuading your municipal government(s) that "no property taxes are owed."

already have and approved by the state, and they also told me not to expect any services from them either local or state, and if I do get any services I will be charged for them. as I live out in the boonies, the closest cop is 30+ minutes from my home as is the fire department. my water comes from a well and if I need an ambulance, they charge anyways. my daughter is now homeschooled and dont have to worry about the pesky public indoctrination camp she once went to.

also, it is not nutbag territory either, you just have to know what you want and dont want. I prefer to own my property rather than pay the state to rent my property from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies