Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Libertarians are conservatives and are probably the only faction to overwhelmingly support legalization not just of marijuana but all drugs.

Aside from that users are most enthusiastic about legalization, and most users are young and therefore liberal. It's as simple as that.

I am conservative and support legalization, but NOT in the context of socialized health care, where I am forced to pay for the negative health consequences of your choice to use drugs or alcohol. It's similar to the immigration issue. I'm all for more immigration, but not if we have a massive welfare state and I am now required to subsidize immigrants' health care, housing, food stamps, etc.

As Robert Higgs said, we can have a free society or a welfare state...can't have both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,347,608 times

In the Bible the use of dangerous/mind-altering drugs is considered witchcraft/sorcery.

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. "

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Libertarians are conservatives and are probably the only faction to overwhelmingly support legalization not just of marijuana but all drugs.
I doubt that conservatives overwhelmingly support legalization of marijuana and all drugs. I am a conservative and don't support it. Neither do most of my conservative friends/relatives.

Quote:
I am conservative and support legalization, but NOT in the context of socialized health care, where I am forced to pay for the negative health consequences of your choice to use drugs or alcohol. It's similar to the immigration issue. I'm all for more immigration, but not if we have a massive welfare state and I am now required to subsidize immigrants' health care, housing, food stamps, etc.
Are you referring to legal or illegal immigrants?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
so mexican violent drug dealers don't deal pot? And, the legalization in those 15 states... I bet the cops don't like it. They have probably just given up trying to nab the criminals from the medical users.

So, yes, we do have a drug problem as long as violent drug dealers are dealing pot
And the easiest way to stop that is to let all adult americans who wish to grow 5-6 plants .

Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I doubt that conservatives overwhelmingly support legalization of marijuana and all drugs. I am a conservative and don't support it. Neither do most of my conservative friends/relatives.
You're into big government imprisoning people, stealing from them and blacklisting them over consuming and trading a non-harmful plant? You and your conservative friends/relatives are the type that gives the word "conservative" a bitter hypocritical taste to it.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Please reread what I set--I said that libertarians, which are a subset of conservatism, overwhelmingly support legalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Are you referring to legal or illegal immigrants?

Neither. I refer to the law itself. As long as we have a free society, I support relatively loose immigration. If people come here to work and make their own way up the ladder, we should welcome them. But if we have a welfare state, and people come here (like a lot of the Somalis in my region) just to go on food stamps, then I am for tight restricitions on immigration, and stringent enforcement thereof.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Generally conservatives dont seem to be in favor of legalizing marijuana. You would think wanting less government intervention and smaller government would mean legalizing it. A.

The gov should stay out of peoples business when it comes to waht they want to smoke. B. All the government agencies surrounding stopping the marijuana industry cost a fortune and dont really accomplish anything.

Just curious waht your take on this is?

I have two ideas, A. Concservatives tend to be more of a family of values, family. The other thing is the prison industry is a huge industry, we have more people in prison than any other country and private prisons make a fortune off locking up non violent marijauna offenders. Not saying Republicans are in business's pocket because dems are as bad if not worse but its a big money maker locking up people for a plant.
I'm a fiscal conservative and social liberal....so not sure what neat little bucket you expect me and some others to fit in?

I don't have a problem with legal marijuana.

IMO people in prison for marijuana would in many cases have to be carrying dealer weight. Once it's legal, the money and profits will dry up and those same people aren't now going to go get a job at Subway....they will do something else illegal for economic reasons.

My buddy is a serious defense atty and handles lots of drug cases. He favors complete drug legalization. In a discussion he somewhat agreed with my point that gangs and drug dealers wouldn't suddenly turn over a new leaf....they don't deal for fun but for easy money and a lack of other options. With legalization you will just shift the operations to theft or whatever else to pick up the lack of drug money flowing in.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

In the Bible the use of dangerous/mind-altering drugs is considered witchcraft/sorcery.

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. "

I think we'd also be legally allowed to stone to death 1/2 the congress people for adultery so maybe you are on to something.....

Hmmmm....what type of rock to use on Newt....granite? Basalt?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
So . . you couldn't bring yourself to acquit?

Especially after being a fully informed juror?

Fully Informed Jury Association
Juror veto-- indeed! Although I've got to say I'm mightily disturbed by some of the instructions from seated judges suppressing evidence after the fact. They're justified defending the letter of the law always at the expense of the spirit of the law. But... that's another thread I hope you start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Shores Bound View Post
Very well said. I agree 100%. It seems to me that the Dems want all these very liberal agendas passed but when they become “victims” (by their own hands) they want free medical care, time off work with pay, and the taxpayers to foot the bill. Can’t have it both way folks.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
What you're blaming on liberals or even social conservatives for that matter is a pre existing condition predating them both. Fact is all of civilization has failed to adequately deal with the phenomena of mental illness and addiction. I believe Denmark has done a better job than most, but the rest of us... less than humane, and utterly ineffectual. We aren't much better than ancient Egyptians poking holes in people's skulls to let the 'evil spirits' out.

I'm not saying Jfurbo ought to be lumped into this category of extreme, however, our failure to have meaningful dialog about these subjects is the pernicious source of the stalemate that both undermines otherwise ordinary citizens who occasionally imbibe and utterly neglects those most troubled through self medication. This is a lose- lose- lose situation I'm very unhappy about.

Amy Winehouse did not die of pot but there's no hysterical response to abolish alcohol. Neither did Heath Ledger die of pot, but there's no hysterical response to abolish prescription drugs. That hysteria is apparently reserved for mary jane despite the potentially grave threat designer drugs poorly understood have on genetic damage. Overall there's no sense of proportion going on & mis-attributed blame is all too common a habit. Anyone involved in painful interventions for friends or family can tell you- there's a vague line between society's obligation to step up and the individuals obligation to fully own their lives. It's awkward to say the least. We need better definitions and vastly improved policies.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:33 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
You're into big government imprisoning people, stealing from them and blacklisting them over consuming and trading a non-harmful plant? You and your conservative friends/relatives are the type that gives the word "conservative" a bitter hypocritical taste to it.
Who said I am into that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies