Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
it does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out, those same professionals you are talking about know that whether you believe in god or mother nature you need a female and a male to procreate and that is the plan buy god or mother nature it does not matter it is obvious. gay is a perversion of the plan,a sickness,its unatural {its like trying to put a square into a circle it will never fit right}it is a cancer to the human race
Are you saying God doesn't know what God is doing bringing homosexuals onto the earth, or are you saying mother nature doesn't know what she's doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Therein lies the problem. Marriage is between man and wife or husband and wife and few hets who engage in it have trouble with the terminology. If they do, they find neutral terms that don't cause confusion.

I am not a prude, nor am I Conservative but I am not an Anarchist. There are uncounted variants of Conservative groups now circling the walls of the Constitution trying to bring down structure, order and discipline in the name of individual freedom. For the better part of 200 years Americans have lived and died and felt mostly free. All of a sudden Government is the enemy. Americans want to be ungovernable and free to do what they please and however they see fit to do it. Fine, but don't call the result "society". It won't, can't be.

H
I see the opposite. Gays want order, that's the point of marriage for the most part. I don't see this as an erosion of social fabric, but rather a strengthening if people let it be. We have a responsibility to ourselves in exercising our rights and we have a responsibility to the larger community in protecting all rights, including our own. Denying that obligation gets us all in trouble, and yes it does become anarchy if you delude yourself into believing only your rights are important

Hear every grievance leveled toward the black community-- you're disrespectful to the rights of others. Grievance toward social conservatives-- you're disrespectful to the rights of others. Grievance toward youth from older generations-- you're disrespectful to the rights of others. Anyone plan on quitting this disrespectful contest anytime soon? Race to the bottom isn't where I want to be.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Therein lies the problem. Marriage is between man and wife or husband and wife and few hets who engage in it have trouble with the terminology. If they do, they find neutral terms that don't cause confusion.

I am not a prude, nor am I Conservative but I am not an Anarchist. There are uncounted variants of Conservative groups now circling the walls of the Constitution trying to bring down structure, order and discipline in the name of individual freedom. For the better part of 200 years Americans have lived and died and felt mostly free. All of a sudden Government is the enemy. Americans want to be ungovernable and free to do what they please and however they see fit to do it. Fine, but don't call the result "society". It won't, can't be.

H
Why do I have to come up with some "special word" to describe my marriage when my marriage feels just as real and deep to me as many heterosexuals' marriages do to them? Our love is just as real to us, so I don't see the need to change my wording just cause some people think they have dibs on the word "marriage" (or "wife" and "husband").

This reminds me of the idiots who say I can't say "I'm looking at the website right now" because I do it differently. Sure I do it with my hands but I'm still reading a website, it's essentially the same thing. Same goes for marriage. I am in love with my wife, I want to raise children with her, I think she is a beautiful person, and she feels the same way about me. That to me is marriage.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Oooooo - a cross between a bird and a bee!

WANTONEWANTONEWANTONE!!!
LOL this was hilarious. I would rep you if I could.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I see a huge problem with that. No legal marriage means no legal benefits. You wouldn't be able to go after spousal support if you have been dependent on the spouse, because without the legal marriage, that support is not legally recognized. You would have a much harder time trying to prove child support - either way. You couldn't prove that the spouse who left should be legally required to support the child and they couldn't prove that they shouldn't be. Without the legal marriage, you couldn't make either employer include the other person under the employment based health insurance.
Yes, churches can come up with their own definitions of marriage, because they are not bound by the law as to what marriages they perform anyway, but for legal and rights purposes, we still need legal marriage. Especially since not all who marry use a church.
Welcome to what it feels like to be gay in 45 states and polyamorous in 50. Maybe if we did this for a few years for everyone, people would start to realize why gay and polyamorous people want to be able to get married and have their marriage recognized. It doesn't feel good to have a serious and meaningful relationship with no recognition. It doesn't feel safe to raise children without that legal support network.

If we're going to have marriage, we should give everyone the choice to live with a net to catch them if they fall. Otherwise, it's not fair to offer that net to some people and not to others. And don't say gay people can get married, just to people of the opposite sex, because the whole point is that people want to be able to form that net with the people they love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies