Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:08 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,700,707 times

Advertisements

people believe Al gore, and he's not even a scientist

and whats really sad is that Al Gore never sleeps at a holiday inn express
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 07:31 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,664,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Sorry buddy but maybe you should read up on it yourself if you believe it is anything other except a "theory."

Can't help but note the irony though, you stoop to personal attack with, "you're making yourself look uneducated" (BTW I have a science degree). While I may "look uneducated" to you because I have a Christian perspective it is you who must be uneducated if you believe it is any more than a theory.
I don't believe for a moment that you have a science degree of any sort if you don't know what it means when something is a scientific theory. You say in disgust "it's JUST a theory", as if saying "they're guessing!!"

A scientific theory is not a guess.
A scientific theory is not a stab in the dark.
A scientific theory is not speculation.
A scientific theory is not baseless.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-02-2010 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Prior to May 14, 1948 the question "Can a nation be born in a day?" was unsettled, but now the matter has been put to rest with the reestablishment of the Jewish State. (Isa 66)

The United States were born in a day: July 4, 1776.
Mexico was born in a day: September 16, 1810.
India and Pakistan were born in a day: August 15, 1947.
Canada was born in a day: July 1, 1867.
Singapore was born in a day: August 9, 1965.
Eritrea was born in a day: May 24, 1993.
Nicaragua was born in a day: September 15, 1821.

I could go on, but I would be wasting my time. Some of these countries achieved their independence and international recognition after a long period of confused fighting (as did Israel, of course.) Others achieved them peacefully. The point is, if you want to point to Israel as being unique, you will have to posit that they beamed in from Alpha Centauri, declared independence, and were internationally recognized on the same day. In fact, that did not happen (in the case of Israel or anyone else.) There was nothing unique about the establishment of Israel. They were one colony among many and they are the only one still afforded any international consideration after about 1970. So let's forget the fairy tales and start talking in terms of reality.

Quote:
Some of the things recorded in the Bible didn't make sense even to those who recorded them since the circumstances surrounding the time of their fulfillment were unknown. In this way they were sealed.
That's because they actually didn't make any sense at the time, and unlike fine wine they have not improved with age.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,521,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't believe for a moment that you have a science degree of any sort if you don't know what it means when something is a scientific theory. You say in disgust "it's JUST a theory", as if saying "they're guessing!!"

Too funny! A scientific theory is not a guess. Wow. Thanks for clearing that up! That was profound.
No one said it was baseless or specultative or a stab in the dark. Where do you get this stuff?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-02-2010 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

The United States were born in a day: July 4, 1776.
Mexico was born in a day: September 16, 1810.
India and Pakistan were born in a day: August 15, 1947.
Canada was born in a day: July 1, 1867.
Singapore was born in a day: August 9, 1965.
Eritrea was born in a day: May 24, 1993.
Nicaragua was born in a day: September 15, 1821.

I could go on, but I would be wasting my time. Some of these countries achieved their independence and international recognition after a long period of confused fighting (as did Israel, of course.) Others achieved them peacefully. The point is, if you want to point to Israel as being unique, you will have to posit that they beamed in from Alpha Centauri, declared independence, and were internationally recognized on the same day. In fact, that did not happen (in the case of Israel or anyone else.) There was nothing unique about the establishment of Israel. They were one colony among many and they are the only one still afforded any international consideration after about 1970. So let's forget the fairy tales and start talking in terms of reality.

That's because they actually didn't make any sense at the time, and unlike fine wine they have not improved with age.

"There was nothing unique about the establishment of Israel."

...that you know about.

Mathematical Bible Prophecy

Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I think it's a creation of the Lizard People. Some say they are a hoax, too. But I've seen lizards. And I've seen people. So It's defitely possible.

The Best Conspiracy Theories (Lizard-People Are Running the World!)

For more info on the REAL DEAL click the article above and accept everything as fact.

Nice deflection!

But that doesn't explain the reestablishment of Israel at the exact moment in time it was to happen.

Do you have another explanation?

Go ahead, tell me why a nation that has been destroyed and non-existent for some two thousand years should reappear as put forth and at the exact time foretold.

Mathematical Bible Prophecy

I'll wait...

Old 10-03-2010, 06:48 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Seems like I've heard crap like this somewhere before. Oh, yeah.

"There, in the middle of this mall is the Washington Monument, 555 feet high. But if we put a one in front of that 555 feet, we get 1555, the year that our first fathers landed on the shores of Jamestown, Virginia as slaves.

In the background is the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorial, each one of these monuments is 19 feet high.

Abraham Lincoln, the sixteenth president. Thomas Jefferson, the third president, and 16 and three make 19 again. What is so deep about this number 19? Why are we standing on the Capitol steps today? That number 19--when you have a nine you have a womb that is pregnant. And when you have a one standing by the nine, it means that there's something secret that has to be unfolded."

--Louis Farrakhan, 16 Oct 1995

Old 10-03-2010, 07:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
thats the difference between you and I. You want to see proof. I have faith
Faith is the purposeful suspension of critical thinking.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

In everyday use, theory means a guess or a hunch, something that maybe needs proof. In science, a theory is not a guess, not a hunch. It's a well-substantiated, well-supported, well-documented explanation for our observations. It ties together all the facts about something, providing an explanation that fits all the observations and can be used to make predictions. In science, theory is the ultimate goal, the explanation. It's as close to proven as anything in science can be.

These explanations are called theories, and will always be theories. They can't be changed into laws, because laws are different things. Laws describe, and theories explain.

This bears repeating. A theory never becomes a law. In fact, if there was a hierarchy of science, theories would be higher than laws. There is nothing higher, or better, than a theory. Laws describe things, theories explain them. An example will help you to understand this. There's a law of gravity, which is the description of gravity. It basically says that if you let go of something it'll fall. It doesn't say why. Then there's the theory of gravity, which is an attempt to explain why. Actually, Newton's Theory of Gravity did a pretty good job, but Einstein's Theory of Relativity does a better job of explaining it.

Just because it's called a theory of gravity, doesn't mean that it's just a guess. It's been tested. All our observations are supported by it, as well as its predictions that we've tested. Also, gravity is real! You can observe it for yourself. Just because it's real doesn't mean that the explanation is a law. The explanation, in scientific terms, is called a theory.

Evolution is Not Just a Theory: home

Here's an explanation that even an idiot should be able to understand and yet we have these posters on CD that simly cannot grasp the concept. My theory is that their brains are only wired for dogma and not critical thinking...and that's probably a fact!

Last edited by sickofnyc; 10-03-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,722,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The 'truth' is highly speculative.

Your truth is obviously different than my truth. I find the bible to be nothing more than the myths of ancient peoples who had no idea how the world works, so they attributed rather amazing phenomenon to easy to understand explanations.
Yeah but sadly you'll never convince these christers of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies