Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:24 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Remember TARP - my that seems so long ago. Anyway, it expires Sunday with some large amount of the money unspent and final cost projections adjusted way down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/01/business/01tarp.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Remember TARP - my that seems so long ago. Anyway, it expires Sunday with some large amount of the money unspent and final cost projections adjusted way down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/01/business/01tarp.html
TARP, that was a Bush project not an Obama project.

Do you think Barry is going to return the unspent money to have the debt paid down? Or, will he put it into another failes stimulus/jobs/progressive campaign program?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
TARP, that was a Bush project not an Obama project.

Do you think Barry is going to return the unspent money to have the debt paid down? Or, will he put it into another failes stimulus/jobs/progressive campaign program?
"Whatever the final losses from housing, auto companies, A.I.G. or smaller banks, those will be offset by taxpayers’ profits from the big banks that have been the focus of their ire since 2008."

Gee, you'd think right wingers would be relieved by this news.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Whatever the final losses from housing, auto companies, A.I.G. or smaller banks, those will be offset by taxpayers’ profits from the big banks that have been the focus of their ire since 2008."

Gee, you'd think right wingers would be relieved by this news.
Did you get your stockholder dividend from GM after we the taxpayers purchased it? I didn't; nor did I get anything from AIG or Goldmann-Sachs.

They should have been allowed to FAIL. It would have been cheaper in the long run and we as a nation would have already suffered most of the economic pain. Our debt would not have been monitized by the FED to the extent it has been now.

With the quadrupeling of our debt in Obama's 19 months in office and his failed "stimulus/jobs" legislation, with his additional taxation and regulations under Obamacare and this so-called financial reform, with the monitization of this historic debt, we face significant economic pain ahead.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Did you get your stockholder dividend from GM after we the taxpayers purchased it? I didn't; nor did I get anything from AIG or Goldmann-Sachs.

They should have been allowed to FAIL. It would have been cheaper in the long run and we as a nation would have already suffered most of the economic pain. Our debt would not have been monitized by the FED to the extent it has been now.

With the quadrupeling of our debt in Obama's 19 months in office and his failed "stimulus/jobs" legislation, with his additional taxation and regulations under Obamacare and this so-called financial reform, with the monitization of this historic debt, we face significant economic pain ahead.
What you should have done is brought stock in Goldman Sachs. It actually rebounded nicely in 2009. Actually there were several banks and other corporation you should have been BUYING when all hell was breaking loose. This is something that I learned back in the recession we had in 2001 and 2002. Many companies like Apple and Amazon were picked up at incredibly low prices and with a little time and patience they returned super profits.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:53 PM

I did buy them with my taxpayer dollars. Why should I have to purchase the same stock twice?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
No, I wouldnt have held GM or AIG after about early 2008. Why didn't you get dividends from GS? Talk to your broker, sounds like he sucks.

Quote:

See James Altschuler link a few posts above and many hundreds of articles of varying complexity all over the innernets as to why "let um fail!", though fun to bray, in reality would have been a big fat disaster.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
TARP Expires Sunday, Will Cost a Lot Less than Projected

For some. It cost one of my Senators a bid for Governor in the primary. It's going to cost her re-election to the seat in two years. TARP would have passed without her vote. A costly vote.

She's going to return to her state a broken old woman. And we'll jeer AT her.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
TARP Expires Sunday, Will Cost a Lot Less than Projected

For some. It cost one of my Senators a bid for Governor in the primary. It's going to cost her re-election to the seat in two years. TARP would have passed without her vote. A costly vote.

She's going to return to her state a broken old woman. And we'll jeer AT her.
Um, the article illustrates how your senator did the right thing for you. Why would you have this nonsensical attitude about it?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
TARP would have passed without her vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies